Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Keeping track of books read

Message 41 of 74

I keep a small notebook in my purse of authors and their books - especially series - When I find an author I am interested in I go online and search for the order of his or her series from oldest to newest - sometimes I will see a new author whose book is just pulling at me and then after I have finished it I have found that it was 3rd in the series!! - Oh Well! Lesson learned!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 74

Spreadsheets???  LOL...No, I'm not about to make spreadsheets regarding the books I've read.  But I do make a little note sometimes about a particular author and book, usually a favorite.  I don't think reading books is a waste of time and you CAN still take a walk by making a daily schedule for yourself if you're not able to do that automatically.  I read, play online Checkers with other people, I work out with weights, I shovel and snow blow all Winter and do daily chores in the house.  I'm a photo hobbist, an animal lover...Nope, spreadsheets regarding books would take up too much time Smiley Surprised)  I can't read paperbacks anymore, can't see well enough, I order large print books from my local library.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 74

I take notes to give seminars (any way, my local library counts & maybe lists identification of all the books, discs, DVDs,..., I check-out since I moved here 3-11).

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 74

Mostly what I read are paperbacks that I get at the Friends of the LIbrary book sale each month.  All the fiction is returned when read with a small  mark with a pink pen on the first page to indicate that I read it.  That way, at the next sale, I can see if I have read a book already.  It seems to me that all those lists and spread sheets would be a great waste of time sitting when I could be doing something really good for my health like taking a walk.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 74
If a book doesn't catch my interest in the first 2 pages.....that's it for me, I go on to the next one.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 74

I read mostly mysteries--police, detective, spy.  David Baldacci, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, etc.  There are many.  I've read more James Patterson than anything else, probably.  Also do historical fiction:  Bernard Cornwell, though not his Sharpe series, and the Khan series by Conn Iggluden.  He also has some Roman writings.  Harry Sidebotttom writes about Roman times, but generally not in Rome.

I also have a 50 page rule.  If I'm not "into" a book by 50 pages, it's outta here.  Maybe?  Then decide again at 100 pages.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 74

My sixth-grade teacher had her students record each book read during the school year, as a competition.  At the end of the year, my father encouraged me to continue the record, so I've been manually recording them since then.  Each entry includes just the title, author, and completion date; though occasionally an entry would be marked as being especially good or useful as a reference.

Someday I'll load them into GoodReads or into another database of some sort so that they will be indexed.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 74

I, too, have found goodreads.com a very useful tool to keep track of the books I have read as well as the books I want to read.  I also like the site's reading challenge, wherein readers set their own challenge for the number of books they want to read during the year, and I have met my own challenge for the last two years. 

Also I have set up a spreadsheet to keep track of the books I have donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army as well as those I have given to friends.  I can sort the lists by titles, authors, or the dates I gave them away.  This keeps me from looking for any book I knew I used to have but have forgotten I no longer have it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 74

I am someone who doesn't sit still very long so reading books is not something that works for me. Audible has allowed me to enjoy many hundreds of books while I'm busy. A side benefit is all of the books I've ever purchased on Audible are listed in my Library and I can re-listen to a book as often as I'd like without filling my house with bookshelves.

Of course when my wife and I travel in the car we can both enjoy a book together.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 74

I love good reads. Not only do I keep track of what I’ve read but can list books I want to read. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors