Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Keeping track of books read

Message 11 of 74

Goodreads.com stores the books you've read, currently reading,.and books you want to read. At the end of the year you get a list of books you've read,.how many pages, etc. There is also a reading challenge per year

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 74

My mom used a telephone contact diary to easily jot down books she read in the alphabetical sections. She kept it in her purse so it was always at hand. I used to tease her about it but now I’ve reached an age where I completely appreciate the idea!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 74

j551112f, I started writing down what I'd read when I got hooked on Lawrence Sanders and his "Deadly Sins" series, the titles are the same except for "first", "second" etc. I couldn't remember what I'd read and hadn't read. It really helps when I love a particular author and read lots of their books. I don't keep books and my memory has never been strong.  I use a public library for books now and seldom buy a book, but it's still a bit frustrating to get ready to dive into a book and discover it's a repeat! So in my case it actually saves me a lot of time.  Plus on LibraryThing, which is free, there are good forums, good reviews which I enjoy reading.  LT also has groups, like mystery, historical, etc and within those groups I've found some fabulous recommendations that I would not have discovered otherwise.  I wish I could remember everything I've ever read!  Too late for me tho, going in the other direction!

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 74
It takes so little time. Maybe about 30 seconds to log Title, Author, Date of Completion. Then on to the next one. It took me a lot longer to enter this reply than to log a book I've read. Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 74

I am amazed that so many people take the time to record each and every book and author that they have read for many years. I find it hard to believe that with all that reading and recording that there is much else to do in some people's lives on a daily basis.  I do write down certain books and authors that I want to follow, but writing down each and every book for decades??  I don't have the time for that. But, to each his own. Some people's lives are far more simpler and easier than others.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 74
My 6"x9" red notebook, alphabetized by author and a page of their book titles, keeps track of every book I've read. It goes with me to the library, where I check each list to make sure I don't check out a book I've already read, which are way more than a thousand, over the past 20+ years. Barb Raynes, Gold Beach Oregon
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 74

I have kept a list of the books I have read since 1956 when I was a Jr. in High School.

People are amazed when I have mentioned that.

Up to 0ver 1000 books, but didn't read as much when I was raising 3 children.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 74

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. A man who never reads lives only one." George R. R. Martin

Read 117 books last year which I read on my mini-iPad that I carry with me everywhere. Switched to the mini-iPad after years of packing and unpacking boxes of hundreds of books whenever I moved ... a real pain in the back ... literally. So much easier now, and I've always got something with me to read whether I'm just out-and-about or traveling. Plus, there are thousands of 'free' eBooks available for download including most of the classics. I also keep track of my books (purchased/read) on both 'Goodreads' and 'Calibre'. Both are free programs and very easy to use. 

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 74

Thanks to those of you recommending goodreads.com, I will check it out.  I've used LibraryThing for years so have not paid much attention to what else it out there.  I use LibraryThing on my PC, and I suppose by now they have an app too.

amcoffiebean
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 74

I love my Kindle, but love the feel of a book in my hands as well.  I use a die called "Goodreads" to help me keep track of what I've read.  I believe I read somewhere between 35 - 40 books last year. I hope to surpass that by far in 2018. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors