Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Info Seeker

Re: Keeping track of books read

Message 31 of 73

I'm 60 and have read books all my life. Gone With the Wind, eight times when I was still a child/teenager. Its like having an itch that I have to scratch. Now with a Kindle that I've had for years I sometimes have 2 or 3 books I'm reading. I have a Goodreads account but seldom update it. I just read. It's a great escape and learning experience. I enjoy historical fiction most. Just finished a memoir about the daughter of hoarders. If it captures my attention I read it. I have bought books only to find out I've already read it.  No big deal.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 73

Since I've had a Kindle (5+ years), it keeps track of everything I read :-) Also, I joined Book Riots Book Challenge 2018, so I will be keeping a list of sorts for that. I read every day, my greatest past time since I've retired.  Goodreads.com also keeps track of what I want to read, what I am reading, and what I have read.  I usually write a review of everything I read, too.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 73

It doesn't matter whether one keeps track of their reading on a spreadsheet, Word, scrap of paper, notebook, etc.  Nor - if they do none of these.  Nor, whether they read new, used, paper or Kindle or Nook.  What matters is that they do what works best for them, and they ARE READING.

You see - we are all different and are openly displaying our uniqueness here on these pages - while being drawn together by our great single commonality - A Love of Reading!

Keep on reading, my friends.

Smiley Happy

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 34 of 73

LOL, wow....I don't feel I have the time to record all the books I've read in 60+ years. I am an avid reader and I guess it's not that important to me, there are so many more things to do in a day.  

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 73

My husband and I both record and review all the books we read.  We use Goodreads.com - very easy to set up an account and then you have bookshelves to place your Read, Want to read, Currently reading, etc.  Love it!  To date I have more than 1450 books on mine and my husband has over 800.  We have been doing this for several years. 

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 73

I have a blog to keep track of the books I have read, and use Amazon Affiliates

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 73

I have used LibraryThing.com for many years.  You can just scan the barcode and all the info pops up. You can change the way the list is arranged, author, title, even cover. Read other reviews, suggestions.  They have author pages and give aways. On going clubs. But, too frequently I am in need of a new book and fail to check the site, then purchase another kindle copy of a book I already have.

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 73

It was my seventh grade English teacher who had the whole class record all the books they read during the year.  I've kept it up ever since, just steno notebooks of the titles, but I'm almost up to 3000 books.  Now and then the list is useful to check if I've read a book or not.

Info Seeker

Message 39 of 73

Yes I do keep track.  I began a word document with one line per book to help track lead character changes/relationships, etc. in series of titles.  My book list is now 85 pages and growing.  The titles are grouped alphabectically by author and include date published, 1 to 5 star rating (by me), lead characters and synopsis. I include unread titles by same author to help in future searches for a new book.  Each title still gets a single line. I also include rereleased titles with a reference back to their original release date/title. I use font changes (bold/Italic) to help track the non plot details (the lead character/relationship details I originally began tracking).

R

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 73

I keep a small notebook in my purse of authors and their books - especially series - When I find an author I am interested in I go online and search for the order of his or her series from oldest to newest - sometimes I will see a new author whose book is just pulling at me and then after I have finished it I have found that it was 3rd in the series!! - Oh Well! Lesson learned!!