Silver Conversationalist

Keeping track of books read

Does anyone else keep track of the books they have read.  I do.

At age 5, in the first grade, I read poorly, so my one year older sister took me under her wing during summer vacation and taught me how to read.  After I learned - I loved this new tool/pleasure.  From then, thru eight grade - I spent much of my non-working time reading.  Our school covered grades 1 thru 8 and I devoured a goodly amount of the books in the school library.  After becoming a teen - the volume of my reading dropped precipitously and didn't resume until decades later when I retired.  

I have 16 Excel spreadsheets - each for a different author.  Mostly fiction/mystery stories.  All in chronological order.  When I come across a new(for me) author - I make up a spreadsheet with all of her works and start with her first one and mark it "read"(after reading it) before going to the next one.

I do all the reading on the Kindle.  I really appreciate the adjustable font and small (slip into my pocket) size.  I donated many hundreds of my old paper books to libraries, vets, etc.  

My favorite author is Stephen White.  Sadly, I think his illness is preventing him from writing any more books.

Am always open to suggestions of authors or books.  Not sure, but I think it was here that the wonderful book "The Book Thief" was suggested.   Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Replies
Periodic Contributor

Since I've had a Kindle (5+ years), it keeps track of everything I read 🙂 Also, I joined Book Riots Book Challenge 2018, so I will be keeping a list of sorts for that. I read every day, my greatest past time since I've retired.  Goodreads.com also keeps track of what I want to read, what I am reading, and what I have read.  I usually write a review of everything I read, too.

Contributor

I'm 60 and have read books all my life. Gone With the Wind, eight times when I was still a child/teenager. Its like having an itch that I have to scratch. Now with a Kindle that I've had for years I sometimes have 2 or 3 books I'm reading. I have a Goodreads account but seldom update it. I just read. It's a great escape and learning experience. I enjoy historical fiction most. Just finished a memoir about the daughter of hoarders. If it captures my attention I read it. I have bought books only to find out I've already read it.  No big deal.

Periodic Contributor

I have a blog to keep track of the books I have read, and use Amazon Affiliates

I have used LibraryThing.com for many years.  You can just scan the barcode and all the info pops up. You can change the way the list is arranged, author, title, even cover. Read other reviews, suggestions.  They have author pages and give aways. On going clubs. But, too frequently I am in need of a new book and fail to check the site, then purchase another kindle copy of a book I already have.

Contributor

Yes I do keep track.  I began a word document with one line per book to help track lead character changes/relationships, etc. in series of titles.  My book list is now 85 pages and growing.  The titles are grouped alphabectically by author and include date published, 1 to 5 star rating (by me), lead characters and synopsis. I include unread titles by same author to help in future searches for a new book.  Each title still gets a single line. I also include rereleased titles with a reference back to their original release date/title. I use font changes (bold/Italic) to help track the non plot details (the lead character/relationship details I originally began tracking).

R

Contributor

I keep a small notebook in my purse of authors and their books - especially series - When I find an author I am interested in I go online and search for the order of his or her series from oldest to newest - sometimes I will see a new author whose book is just pulling at me and then after I have finished it I have found that it was 3rd in the series!! - Oh Well! Lesson learned!!

Contributor

I take notes to give seminars (any way, my local library counts & maybe lists identification of all the books, discs, DVDs,..., I check-out since I moved here 3-11).

Contributor

My sixth-grade teacher had her students record each book read during the school year, as a competition.  At the end of the year, my father encouraged me to continue the record, so I've been manually recording them since then.  Each entry includes just the title, author, and completion date; though occasionally an entry would be marked as being especially good or useful as a reference.

Someday I'll load them into GoodReads or into another database of some sort so that they will be indexed.

Periodic Contributor

It was my seventh grade English teacher who had the whole class record all the books they read during the year.  I've kept it up ever since, just steno notebooks of the titles, but I'm almost up to 3000 books.  Now and then the list is useful to check if I've read a book or not.

Super Contributor

I, too, have found goodreads.com a very useful tool to keep track of the books I have read as well as the books I want to read.  I also like the site's reading challenge, wherein readers set their own challenge for the number of books they want to read during the year, and I have met my own challenge for the last two years. 

Also I have set up a spreadsheet to keep track of the books I have donated to Goodwill or Salvation Army as well as those I have given to friends.  I can sort the lists by titles, authors, or the dates I gave them away.  This keeps me from looking for any book I knew I used to have but have forgotten I no longer have it.

Regular Contributor

Mostly what I read are paperbacks that I get at the Friends of the LIbrary book sale each month.  All the fiction is returned when read with a small  mark with a pink pen on the first page to indicate that I read it.  That way, at the next sale, I can see if I have read a book already.  It seems to me that all those lists and spread sheets would be a great waste of time sitting when I could be doing something really good for my health like taking a walk.

Regular Contributor

Spreadsheets???  LOL...No, I'm not about to make spreadsheets regarding the books I've read.  But I do make a little note sometimes about a particular author and book, usually a favorite.  I don't think reading books is a waste of time and you CAN still take a walk by making a daily schedule for yourself if you're not able to do that automatically.  I read, play online Checkers with other people, I work out with weights, I shovel and snow blow all Winter and do daily chores in the house.  I'm a photo hobbist, an animal lover...Nope, spreadsheets regarding books would take up too much time 🐵  I can't read paperbacks anymore, can't see well enough, I order large print books from my local library.

Contributor

I am someone who doesn't sit still very long so reading books is not something that works for me. Audible has allowed me to enjoy many hundreds of books while I'm busy. A side benefit is all of the books I've ever purchased on Audible are listed in my Library and I can re-listen to a book as often as I'd like without filling my house with bookshelves.

Of course when my wife and I travel in the car we can both enjoy a book together.

Contributor

I love good reads. Not only do I keep track of what I’ve read but can list books I want to read. 

A list of books read is a must especially if you frequent used library book sales and the Half Price bookstore.  If I don't take my list I have been know to buy duplicates.  I started the list when I started buying books for my Mom.  She would read the book first and then give it back to me.  I would get backed up on my reading and would forget what I had already purchased.

I started keeping a journal for all of the books I have read in 2009, in it I write the title, when I finished the book and a brief synopsis of the book and how I felt about the book, ( good, bad, horrid). In that time I have completed over 1500 books,  a good mix of both fiction and history/biography.  My rule is if I can't get into a particular within the first 10% I add it into the not read bin and donate the book to a local charity. I saw in the NY Times that the average adult reads 3 to 5 books per year, I sometimes do that in a week. 

Contributor

Read about 20 books a year more or less. 

I've been keeping track of the books I read since 1981, when I finished graduate school. It's a really useful record to have! I read a lot of books but I don't like to brag about the numbers.

Contributor

My wife is the Queen of keeping track of the books she has read!  She has them listed alphabetically by author, when she read them and if she borrowed them from the library or purchased them.  Her card file is quite full as it encompassed many, many years!

Contributor

Yes, I use Goodreads.  When I read books on my tablet it automatically updates Goodreads with the status of being read when using Amazon...

Contributor

I find it difficult to read on an e-reader. Still prefer the book.

Contributor

I keep a database of the books I read on World War II. I also write the date I start reading the book on the first page and the date I finished it on the last page. I then put the book in my book shelf in the order I read the books. I always use a highlighter while I am reading them. I have read over 100 World War II books since 2001.

When I read fiction books I only write the date I finished the book on the last page so if I think about reading it again I can see how long it has been since I last read it.

I like reading books by Alistair MacLean, Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, some of David Baldacci's books and some of Len Deighton's books.

Contributor

Yes ...absolutely!   I've done this for over 10 years (or more).   I use this list on an Excel spreadsheet to double check to see if I've already read some books by more prolific authors like Mary Higgins Clark.  I also rank them ... excellent, OK, not so good ... in order that I might recommend (or purchase) only my excellent books for friends.   Happy reading everyone!

At the request of some work colleagues, I began keeping a list in January 1995.  I list them with date finished, title, author, publisher, #of pages, year published, and brief review.  I use a 10 point scale and I also force Field rank them so as I send out my monthly rankings to a, now , rather large group of friends and friends of friends, and perfect strangers, they can see where I’ve ranked every book I’ve read so far that year.  I average about 70 books a year and lean heavily toward humorous mystery, crime, courtroom, and action.  You won’t find much science fiction but you will find a fair amount of nonfiction and sports fiction.  I don’t rank nonfiction with fiction.  The book of the year for 1995 was Dirty White Boy by Stephen Hunter.  When I read the description, I didn’t think it would be my kind of book and almost didn’t buy it.  I was glad I did.  I read it in one sitting on a flight from Ontario CA to Tampa FL.  It still has the best first paragraph of any book I’ve ever read...and that’s some 5000+ books.

Regular Contributor

LibraryThing.com allows readers to keep track of all books read, write and read reviews by other members, and enter to win free books every month - all for free until you reach 200 books!

Then, there's a low charge for lifetime membership.

Membership also includes some fun challenge reading on Threads.

Super Contributor

I love to read!  I've been keeping a reading log since 2010.  I include the title, author and date I finished reading.  It's really come in handy, as I read so many books, I can't always remember what I have or haven't read.  A friend recently mentioned a title to me that I might be interested in.  It sounded vaguely familiar, so I checked my log & saw that I'd read it a couple of years ago.

Contributor

I sure do--it helps me to NOT buy books I've already read at my favorite used book store.  I call it my Book Book.  When I buy an author I've never read (used paperback) I pull out the "Other Books By) and tape it (in alphabetical order) in my Book Book.  Then I can just check books off as I read them.  I keep it in my car, handy so it I happen by a book store or library I won't be without it.

Contributor

I read mostly mysteries--police, detective, spy.  David Baldacci, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, etc.  There are many.  I've read more James Patterson than anything else, probably.  Also do historical fiction:  Bernard Cornwell, though not his Sharpe series, and the Khan series by Conn Iggluden.  He also has some Roman writings.  Harry Sidebotttom writes about Roman times, but generally not in Rome.

I also have a 50 page rule.  If I'm not "into" a book by 50 pages, it's outta here.  Maybe?  Then decide again at 100 pages.  

Contributor

You may want to read, "Behind Closed Doors." Enjoyed it and it was a wonderful read.

Regular Contributor

If a book doesn't catch my interest in the first 2 pages.....that's it for me, I go on to the next one.