Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

A list is a must!

Message 51 of 74

A list of books read is a must especially if you frequent used library book sales and the Half Price bookstore.  If I don't take my list I have been know to buy duplicates.  I started the list when I started buying books for my Mom.  She would read the book first and then give it back to me.  I would get backed up on my reading and would forget what I had already purchased.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Keeping track of books read

Message 52 of 74

I have a notebook where I have pages for my favorite authors. Then I went to their websights  & listed all there books in date or series order. That way I can read the series in correct order. After Ive finished I cross them off with a highlighter. When I go to used book exchange stores or yard sales-I take my note book & can look up books I need & now I dont buy duplicates. I love to read. I like Stuart Woods-David Balducci-Phillip Margoline-John Grisham- Nevada Barr-Danielle Steel-Barbara Taylor Bradford to name a few, I also sign up for notices on the authors websight to be notified when they release a new book,

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 74

I've been keeping track of the books I read since 1981, when I finished graduate school. It's a really useful record to have! I read a lot of books but I don't like to brag about the numbers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 74

I started keeping a journal for all of the books I have read in 2009, in it I write the title, when I finished the book and a brief synopsis of the book and how I felt about the book, ( good, bad, horrid). In that time I have completed over 1500 books,  a good mix of both fiction and history/biography.  My rule is if I can't get into a particular within the first 10% I add it into the not read bin and donate the book to a local charity. I saw in the NY Times that the average adult reads 3 to 5 books per year, I sometimes do that in a week. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 74

My wife is the Queen of keeping track of the books she has read!  She has them listed alphabetically by author, when she read them and if she borrowed them from the library or purchased them.  Her card file is quite full as it encompassed many, many years!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 74

Yes, I use Goodreads.  When I read books on my tablet it automatically updates Goodreads with the status of being read when using Amazon...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 74

I keep a database of the books I read on World War II. I also write the date I start reading the book on the first page and the date I finished it on the last page. I then put the book in my book shelf in the order I read the books. I always use a highlighter while I am reading them. I have read over 100 World War II books since 2001.

When I read fiction books I only write the date I finished the book on the last page so if I think about reading it again I can see how long it has been since I last read it.

I like reading books by Alistair MacLean, Lee Child's Jack Reacher books, some of David Baldacci's books and some of Len Deighton's books.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 74

Yes ...absolutely!   I've done this for over 10 years (or more).   I use this list on an Excel spreadsheet to double check to see if I've already read some books by more prolific authors like Mary Higgins Clark.  I also rank them ... excellent, OK, not so good ... in order that I might recommend (or purchase) only my excellent books for friends.   Happy reading everyone!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 74

At the request of some work colleagues, I began keeping a list in January 1995.  I list them with date finished, title, author, publisher, #of pages, year published, and brief review.  I use a 10 point scale and I also force Field rank them so as I send out my monthly rankings to a, now , rather large group of friends and friends of friends, and perfect strangers, they can see where I’ve ranked every book I’ve read so far that year.  I average about 70 books a year and lean heavily toward humorous mystery, crime, courtroom, and action.  You won’t find much science fiction but you will find a fair amount of nonfiction and sports fiction.  I don’t rank nonfiction with fiction.  The book of the year for 1995 was Dirty White Boy by Stephen Hunter.  When I read the description, I didn’t think it would be my kind of book and almost didn’t buy it.  I was glad I did.  I read it in one sitting on a flight from Ontario CA to Tampa FL.  It still has the best first paragraph of any book I’ve ever read...and that’s some 5000+ books.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 74

LibraryThing.com allows readers to keep track of all books read, write and read reviews by other members, and enter to win free books every month - all for free until you reach 200 books!

Then, there's a low charge for lifetime membership.

Membership also includes some fun challenge reading on Threads.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors