Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

KINDNESS IS NOT AMISS

Message 1 of 1

Kindness is not Amiss

Depleted of books to read while I pedal on the stationary bike at the fitness center, I walked to the nearby public library yesterday (during regular Saturday hours) for a fill up. Either because of upcoming Veteran’s Day or a current extravagant festival in downtown Waikiki, the library was closed when I got there.

Undeterred, I decided to walk to my former condo building to borrow a few books from its fairly well-stacked library. After corralling a couple of paperbacks, I began to walk back to my condo. On the way, a no-nonsense looking middle-aged lady going in the other direction confronted me. Because I was carrying some books, she somehow thought that I might be going to the library; for she emphatically said (with a pronounced frown) that the library was closed. I told her that I had found that out on my own a while ago, but I still appreciated her concern. I could tell from her now relaxed facial expression that she was relieved that she had stopped to unburden herself in enlightening me.

I am amazed at how many times I have experienced the kindness of strangers within a mile of my condo.  At times, I reciprocate intermittently. I’d like to be more consistently helpful to others whom I meet on the walkways of Waikiki.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies