Recognized Social Butterfly

INCOMMODIOUS MOMENTS

Incommodious Moments

Yesterday at the Belk’s department store in Nags Head, NC, I urgently needed to get to a bathroom stall. After finding out from a salesclerk where the rest room was located, I barged in. Unfortunately, the stall was already taken by a man who was groaning with every ineffectual effort to move his bowels. I waited opposite the stall, making sure that I would be first in line when the man was done unloading his burden. But soon his frustration was so overpowering that I decided to pace outside the restroom. When the man didn’t come out after a while, I went back. In between grunts, the poor guy told me that because he was going to be in the stall for a long time with his “problem,” I should go to the other restroom. I didn’t know that there was another one, so I found out from a different salesclerk that it was lodged at the far end of the store.

Taking a shortcut through racks of clothes, I spied the men’s room. When I entered, the only thing that I saw was an exposed toilet. I locked myself in by firmly pushing the button on the flimsy door handle. Relief at last!

Just as I was comfortable making my transaction on the toilet, the door opened. An enormously tall pockmarked man bundled up in a winter coat saw me on the commode: he quickly apologized. Before he left, he said that I had probably failed to sufficiently lock the door. So he did so for me. During this embarrassing interlude, I tried to maintain as much composure as possible.

Completing my job without further intrusions, I departed, but not until I even more firmly locked the door to determine if I was remiss in securing it earlier. It turns out that the lock didn’t work. It was faulty; I was exonerated.

Twenty miles down the road at Manteo’s Elizabethan Gardens, I briefly used the restroom. As I left, I noticed that a man standing nearby looked and dressed exactly like the guy who interrupted me in the Belk men’s room. Was I delusional or was this a weird coincidence? I didn’t dare inquire.  

Halloween will be here in two weeks. Perhaps I was just being prematurely spooked.

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg