Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you read? Library books, Kindle, purchase books?

Message 21 of 58
What's a non-active time out?
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 58

First open one of your books, then tap the screen to bring down the top menu. Select the one that shows "Aa". That brings up a menu to change font, line spacing, margins, color mode. Choose black and then tap on the screen. Then I tap on the screen and when the menu with "Aa" appeDars I swipe down and you'll see a brightness (looks like a sun) click on that and you can lower the brightness too. In bed I have mine as low as it will go and it sometimes still seems bright. (During daylight or a lighted room you'll have to readjust to more brightness to read). There are times when a few pages revert back to white background but then will go back to the black background. That's few and far between and it may have something to do with just those books. This beats reading a regular book with a booklight.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 58

I like the hard copies, that way after after I read them, I am able to use them to level up my trailer. Works great ........................ I need to find one 1/2" thick !

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 58

I will always like to hold a book in my hands. This is all part of the reading experience. The weight of the book in your hands, the smell of the paper, the font chosen for the printed word and the turning of the pages. It is all part of what makes reading one of my favorite things to do.

Sherry P
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 58

I prefer reading the physical book.  I make comments on various pages and like to feel the pages when I read.  It makes me feel more attached to the writer's situation. I moved into a condo several years ago and made a library out of an extra room.  I have every book I have ever purchased including the first book my parents gave me.  They are prized possessions and it would break my heart to lose them.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 58

A trick I learned from another ebook borrower; place hold on hard copy and monitor; usually an ebook edition follows when the hard copy is released. That way I can get in line for the ebook edition.

For example, I currently have 5 ebooks loaded on my kindle, including "Me" by Elton John, "Face It" by Debbie Harry, "A Warning" by Anonymous.

hth

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 58

I know more people are using the Kindle or Nook, particularly since there are so many ways to get ebooks for free these days, but I still need to have books in my hands so I can feel and turn the pages.  Due to the expense, I try to get lots of books from the library, but I still can't help myself when it comes to certain authors, and need to keep those on the bookshelf.  Great topic!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 58

I love the idea of little free libraries! What a fantastic idea that was!

After losing my home to the mid-2k economic meltdown, I chose to stop buying books, as I had to give away my 50 year collection, (thousands including 1st edition Hunter S Thompson collection) which broke my heart. I did not want to go through that again.

I transitioned to kindle.. When public libraries began offering ebooks, I had retired and found the access to be very great, especially to my now limited budget.

I do love reading real books, but I also smoke and realized that aroma transferred to the paper of real books, so e-books work for me and the readers who follow my reading.

Great post, @shenai !

Thanks!

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 58

We have LFL's or little free library's all over around here.  It's a good place to donate or pick up a new one.  They are usually outside a business and anyone can use them.  But giving to your sister is cool too!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 58

I know what you mean about the Kindle being small.  But you can adjust the font - maybe that will help.  Also check into the library near you to see if you can browse their inventory and download the books without visiting the actual libray.  Good luck!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season