How do you read? Library books, Kindle, purchase books?

Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you read? Library books, Kindle, purchase books?

Message 91 of 100

I like to read all formats - hard cover, paperback, Kindle. I'm starting to use the audio books.  Those are good when you're traveling (like on the train). I like hard books, because I can pick the book up and open it anywhere quickly and easily.  I can do that with the KIndle version, but it's a little more work.

One great thing about Kindle is that there is an app - free - that you load on your PC. All your Kindle books automatically show up there.  This makes it easier if you need larger print.  You don't even need to turn on the Kindle to buy new books.

The Kindle is wonderful for travel.  If I'm going to be gone for a few weeks, by air or by train, taking hard books is a pain.  They take up room, they add weight, they get damaged or lost.  The Kindle is lightweight, easy to carry and you can add books constantly.

Yes, I enjoy the feel of a book, but what I enjoy is reading it.  The format isn't nearly as important as that.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 100

I read on my Amazon Fire HD 8". 

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 100

Reading is my main source of enertainment. Most of my books are eBooks and I get almost all of them through my Kindle Unlimited subscription. What isn't free through Kindle Unlimied, I borrow from my local public library. If they don't have an eBook in their catelog, I will borrow a large print copy. If they don't have either one, I may purchase a copy through Kindle but may just choose something else to read. The main thing is my ability to see the print. I prefer eBooks for two reasons: they are instantly accessible and I can adjust the font to my liking. I have to say though, I do miss holding a hard copy and actually turning pages. And eBooks don't have that wonderful paper smell that old fashioned books do.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 100

I only read actual books.  Don't like the Kindle concept.  However a lot of older books not available at the library are only availabe on Kindle.  I may have to change my mind on that.  I like a lot of older  books especially  mysteries with a English setting in the late 1800's or early 1900's.  I have purchased quite a few but have noticed many ar no longer available except on Kindle.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 100

There's a Salvation Army store near me, all books are 49 cents, some days only 25 cents. I keep my favorites, and donate the rest back to them. I've gotten some beautiful, expensive cook books too, some first editions.

Kathleen
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 100

As I live in a retirement community, in an apartment, space is at a premium.  Many years ago, I was a bookseller, so would I had access to all the latest bestsellers, etc.  After 30 years, I retired from the book business (apparently my timing was right as online books were becoming popular), and moved to my present-day address.  I bought a kindle and love it.  I have over 500 books loaded on it and the next book is at my fingertips.  I know people still tell me they love the feel of a book in their hands, to which i say, Hogwash!  The kindle is the size of a trade paperback.  You can adjust the font (especially as I need large print now).  I can get books for free, for 99 cents or more current books for under $5.  It is portable, fits in my purse, and is my constant companion.  And I haven't quite given up on books either.  I am the Librarian here at the Retirement home!

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 100

Hi, I use several different media to read.  I don't purchase books, but I will ask for books as gifts.  Otherwise, I am checking out books, playaways and magazines from the library, as well as downloading audiobooks from my library through Libby.  I have also installed the Kindle app on my 10" tablet and read some things on there.  Right now, there is a promo where you can add the Audible book for free.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 100

i  am a hardback book reader. it something about the feel of a real book, i have a kindle that don't use it. i like to be able to refer back to a page for clarification. and it a conversation started i have met some great people as i travel tha have been attracted by the book in my hand as  me seeing theirs.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 100

Hi, I have a Kindle as well, but have not forced myself to use it enough to get comfortable with it.  I still tend to prefer a 'real' book, and I like hardbacks unless I am traveling.  Our library is having their semi annual used book sale, so I was able to pick up a few hardbacks from my favorite authors for $1 each.  Yay!  Once I am finished with them, I will probably donate them back or pass them along to my sister.

If you do get used to your Kindle, many libraries allow you to download books to your Kindle free.  That would save you the cost of the Uber.  Happy reading, however you choose to do it!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you read? Library books, Kindle, purchase books?

Message 100 of 100

Purchasing  books is costly.  Since I no longer drive I have to take Uber to the Library and that is expensive.  I bought a Kindle from Amazon but it is so small.

What do you use? 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo