Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

From the Mammoth to the Minute, It’s All Good

Recognized Social Butterfly

From the Mammoth to the Minute, It’s All Good

Last week at the beachfront of the Kahala Hotel, only a few minutes from Waikiki, I reveled in two scenic wonders.

In the winter, monster surf pounds the North Shore of Oahu. In the summer, the South Shore gets the brunt of the surf, as I spectacularly witnessed last week. Upward of fifteen-foot waves incessantly smashed against a distant cliff and sent massive plumes of water that cascaded high into the air before dousing the base of the promontory. High tide or low tide didn’t matter: the waves kept thrashing the cliff throughout the day. I was enthralled. I was too far away to hear the roar of the collision, but I could imagine how deafening it was.

When I decided to take a break from this faraway spectacle, I looked down to see a throng of tiny black bodied and red-headed birds swirling just above the ground and then alighting on a small patch of grass. Soon some of them began a roundelay ritual of chirping, hopping, and pecking for grubs. Other birds then joined their brethren in almost fugue-like precision. I had never before witnessed a synchronized array of baby birds, at least 33 of them.  They spent a few glorious minutes inadvertently entertaining me before they swooped away.

I am so fortunate (Covid-19 notwithstanding) that just around the corner in Oahu, the abundance of nature delights my senses and nourishes my spirit.

schlomo
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP