With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Does Anyone Know of a Good LIterary Agent Who is Taking on Clients?

Message 1 of 4

You write well, and you have one heck of a story -- on topic, too, given, sadly, the state of society today. I think everyone would want to know why? At least I do. I just had published a memoir, The Last Cadillac, by a small publishing house, and I have to think of Red Smith's recipe for writing -- sit down, open a vein, and start the blood letting. I paraphrase, but it is something like that. If you are honest in the telling of this story, it is a winner....people do want to know WHY?

Did you find an agent?

Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

No, I did not change the details.  Keep in mind, as mentioned, this was 1980, long before the Internet.  I've written and published other things about it.  I just did a search of my brother's name.  He is not listed on the net.  He's been in jail since 1980.  We didn't read the paper or watch tv for a couple of weeks.  We coudn't bear it.  I learned from the newspaper article about the shootings that the first victim was shot while watching Billy Graham.  At the time I picked up a paper and read it when the shock had worn off. I have a copy in my files.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

It's odd that when I Googled the information you gave about this incident, I didn't come up with anything .. have you changed some of the details?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Does Anyone Know of a Good LIterary Agent Who is Taking on Clients?

Message 4 of 4

I've been writing for years.  My first agent is now deceased.  My second one is currently involved in others things.  So I'm seeking a new one.  I write literary fiction with flavors of the paranormal and light fantasy.  My main audience is Boomers on up, but the works could appeal to those over thirty.  I also have a nonfiction work being considered by a university press.  If they offer a contract I need someone to handle it.

The nonfiction work is based on a tragedy. On March 4, 1980 while his neighbors watched Billy Graham on television, my brother stood outside their window, raised his hunting rifle and fired. Two people died. His rifle tucked under his arm, he strode down the country road and killed two more, people we attended church with when we were kids. That horrendous episode ripped my life into irreparable pieces. Should he live long enough to be released from prison he is likely to kill me.

My sentence for his crimes did not start coming to an end until nearly thirty years later. Our mother died. My book is an honest account of what happened to him, my sister, our loving parents and me. Through time-laced lenses, it exposes the rawness of my feelings, the betrayal by family and friends which led to my rebirth, the evolution of new beliefs and renewal...my release from the nightmare. A story of victimization, religious hypocrisy, an extramarital affair, abandonment and violence, it will alter perceptions of murder from the inside.

Since his rampage, mass murders have increased in frequency. In this country between 1982 and 2012 more than seventy mass murders occurred.  The most recent was last week in Roseburg, Oregon at Umpqua Community College.

It's time we understand this issue from all sides.  My book will help.

Kudos
Views
Replies