Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you read books on a Kindle or other tablet?

Message 11 of 76

The last time I moved I had 28 boxes of books!  And that was even after I had donated 200 books to the library book sale.  

I swore I would use the library more, and try to keep the acquisitions down.  It didn't work as well as I hoped.  The books kept coming.  

So I got myself a Kindle a few years ago and started loading it with "the classics":  the complete collections of Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, etc.  These were usually very inexpensive (public domain) and then I was able to donate my hard copies to schools.   These are all books that I have read & intend to read again, or intend to read at some point.  I add to the collections when I can, but I set a dollar limit for the year.  

I am borrowing from the library onto the Kindle, and that is great because I don't have to go to the library to borrow or return.  I also signed up for Bookbub.com and occasionally buy something for under $4 that looks interesting.  

The best part is that I can take my digital library with me wherever I go.  

My original Kindle is good, but I later bought the Paperwhite so that I could read in the dark when necessary.  The lighting on the bus for my morning & evening commutes was lousy. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 76
I am 62 & have been an avid reader since the age of 10. I do my reading mostly on my Kindle HD reader, with the larger screen. I love the instant downloading & the font size adhustment. Hopefully my next one ( this is my 3rd) will have a better organizer program & constant backlighting.
I always had a couple of bookcases full of books & spent a lot of time gathering up beers to take to the used book stores, so I could get more books!! As my age advanced, that became harder & harder. Also we moved when we retired, & we now have our books down to 2 bookcases which are 1/2 filled with pictures!!! My husband is older, & we are both making an effort to downsize as we age, & ebooks help me a lot in that respect.
I do look forward to them making the kindle lighter, as the arthritis in my hands & arms is an issue I often have to deal with. Also, it does make my purse a bit heavy.
I also have a tablet & a smartphone, which I also love. My smartphone is a lot lighter than my day timer used to be!! No more separate address book at home, either.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 76
My Kindle is my book shelf. I read on Kindle, iPad and iPhone depending on my location at the time. I buy hard copies of books written by friends, cook books and reference books.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 76

I am 62 and I have a Kindle Fire. I am an IT person so I spend a lot of time on laptops and desktops. I first got involved in Kindle when my wife got one for a present, I needed an IT book quickly for a job and I downloaded it from Amazon. Since then I haven't bought a "real" book. I get books from Amazon and the library all the time. I use the tablet occassionally when we are traveling, but never otherwise. I do love e-readers and really would rather have an ebook. Joe Wolfe Charlotte, NC

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 76

I was gifted a kindle for Christmas 2 years ago after trying my daughter's kindle fire. I was hooked. I have a bad back and holding a hardback copy of a book became impossible. I switched to paperbacks but that only helped a little. My time reading, which I love, was limited. So when I got my kindle I was overjoyed. I can hold it and read for as long as I want as it is so much lighter than a paperback. I still obtain paperbacks for my own private "library" because I love the feel and smell of books and the "written word". 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 76

I do not like to read any more than a few lines online. In work when they would send a document, I would always print it out and read the printed copy. If you have not grown up with books I can understand how you might not appreciate the difference, but there is nothing like holding the printed word in your hand and anticipating what would jump out at you as you turned the pages and moved on it the story or article. If you have no other choice I suppose reading from a screen is okay, but it would not be for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 76

Most of the time I use my Kindle Fire but occasionally I use my tablet or smartphone.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 76

I am 77 and I read almost all my books on Nook.  I have the Glowlight plus, which is small & thin & easy to put into my purse. I also have the latest Nook tablet, bigger then the reader but still small enough to put into a purse. The tablet is good because I can also check & write email, play games, surf the web, listen to music, checking weather, etc.  I also have the Nook app on my I Pad, not as easy to take out of the house, but very useful at home, with many,many apps. You can adjust the font size & the brightness on all of these machines. I mostly use my phone for phoning, texting, and taking pictures. I find it difficult to email on the phone because the emails & print are so small.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 76

I read on a Kindle Paperwhite and play a few games on it also.  I have an older Laptop.  I'm 72.  I don't want a computer that I have to hold.  I have arthritis in my hands (and most of my joints.  I may upgrade my Paperwhite to one of the color Kindles.  I love Tetris and you need color to play that.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 76

I have a kindle fire. I like reading books on kindle.I have many books.

Kudos
Views