Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you read books on a Kindle or other tablet?

Message 1 of 76

Kindle

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 76

My name is Carolyn. I'm 72 and I love my Kindle.  I do most of my readiing on the Kindle now. Depending upon where I am, I also read books on my tablet and android phone with the Kindle app.   I take my phone everywhere; so I can read a page or two no matter where I am, standing in line at the grocery store, the bank, the post office, etc.  Reading in those circumstances helps me with patience as I await my turn. When I'm exercising on the treadmill I read using my phone.  When I get home, I pick up where I left off with the Kindle.  I love that the books are available on all the platforms at the same time. I like the fact that i can have another book to read immediatly after I finish one without having to carry around 2 or 3 books.  There are times when I still use an actual book too.  I love to read and will use any and all formats to feed my habit.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 76

Hello Sharon,

I am not sure if I qualify as young at 52, but I read books & magazine and other things on my kindle tablet.  I also own a Nook fire and use and iPad for work.  So, I would say I am technically connected.  Please let me know if I may be of assistance.

Thakn you for your time,

Nichelle Ritterhoff

nhallritterhoff@gmail.com

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 76

I have read many books since the first NOOK came out. Now have a tablet version; can browse the internet, check the weather, etc., and ... can read books, magazines, newspapers, etc. Can even play (and do) solitaire and crossword puzzles!

Having just turned 78 years and with waning eyesight, I find the NOOK wonderful. The print on a regular book is always too small, too gray, too everything that makes it unpleasant for me to read. The NOOK, on the other hand, is lightweight, has adjustable fonts, the text is black with a wonderful lighted background. Also, as we are now 'downsizing' and have to distribute/give away many, many books accumulated (mostly by me - I am a constant reader) during the years - this is no longer a problem with the NOOK.

As I have used computers and the internet daily and constantly since 1984, the internet and electronics do no faze me at all. I have family members and friends who still think holding a paper book is the only way to read, and I used to feel that way. But now, will never go back to buying paper books for the above stated reasons. It is especially difficult for me to 'part' with my books, as I read only biographical, historical and non-fiction books, with a few medical/science books in the mix.

Sincerely,

Jeannette

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 76

Hi Sharon, I am 65 years of age with 3 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.  I began reading on a Kindle reader around 2007.  I had a smart phone, and also stored and read books from the phone before I bought the Kindle.  I graduated to an iPad and iPhone and have been pleased with them since 2010.  I had the Kindle reader program on two past laptops and now, on my Macbook Pro I have Kindle, iBooks, and also use eBrary and a couple of other links from a university library.  I just subscribed to BookBub after a neighbor told me of the free and low-cost books.  I also read professional journal articles on all three current devices:  MBookPro, iPad, and iPhone.  The Kindle is not as user-friendly for journal articles.  I hang onto my Kindle as a spare resource, but never really use it anymore since I always have my iPhone with me.  The 6S Plus is very convenient and adequate for my eyesight needs.  I have no current interest in using traditional books.  However, I am packing to retire and move south.  My husband prefers traditional books, though he also uses his laptop, iPad, and iPhone for everything but readiing books.  We decided to keep our many traditional professional books and leisure hardbacks and paperbacks, JIC.  An EMT can wipe out all our precious devices, and neither of us can imagine not having something to read at our fingertips.  Therefore, we will have a functional library in our retirement home - just for storage.  Sad to require the extra room in our retirement home, but when books are that important to professionalism and leisure, it would be folly to put all our faith in electronics.  I look forward to reading the results of your study.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 76
I'm 67 and I love electronic gadgets as it is. I do read various publications, mostly books, on my Kindle. I also order some household supplies thru Amazon that often helps a lot. I still have a love for the books I've purchased in the past and many are great for reference and I won't be replacing paper for digital materials.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 76

Hi Sharon. I find that reading on a computerized devise is not as satisfiying as a real book.  The smell of the paper.  Turning the pages.  The feel of the pages.  If you don't own the book, going to the library & looking through all the books to choose one.  I personally don't find a computer as  satisfying as a real book.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 76

Hi Dory - I have a Kindle too.

" What I don't like is you can't "skip back" easily when you want to check something out that you already read, and you can't keep the book a couple of extra days to finish it if you're willing to pay the fine, like with a real book.  "

A couple of questions:  Why can't you just click "Previous Page" to 'skip back'?

Why can't you keep the book ?  Are you renting the books?

Puzzled.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 76

I received a first generation Kindle & fell in love with it immediately. The ease & convenience of having my favorite or current book at my fingertips ALL the time was great.  Received the next generation for Christmas, gave the first to my son, who still has & uses it,.  Received the Kindle Fire the nex Christmas & gave the second to my husband.  I now have 2 Kindles & and Ipad, my husband has graduated to the newest Kindle & they are indispensible.  They go on our motorcycles & in our cars whenever we are travelling.  Love them

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 76

I got a PaperWhite Kindle three years ago and, for the most part, I love it.  I don't use the Kindle for anything other than reading, and I like that I can highlight words to get the meaning and make notes that will keep on my Kindle.  What I don't like is you can't "skip back" easily when you want to check something out that you already read, and you can't keep the book a couple of extra days to finish it if you're willing to pay the fine, like with a real book.  

Kudos
Views