Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you read books on a Kindle or other tablet?

Message 61 of 76

I like turning actual pages, and looking at print on a page that isn't shining into my eyes. But my Kindle is lighter than anything over 300 pages. Points for ease of use.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 76

I purchased my first Kindle when they were first introduced and have never bought a book for personal use since that purchase.  Once I received an Ipad as a gift, I began using the Kindle App and then got an Iphone which also uses the app.  If I am going to be traveling out of the country, I load several books before departure and all my reading is with me for the trip.  We receive all of our newspapers & some magazines on the Ipad & Phone.  Occasionally I purchase an ebook from Ibooks.  I use the Ipad for library books that can be delivered through "Overdrive".  

I have barely touched the tip of the iceberg for the Iphone/ipad.  I get my weather reports with the Weather app., I use the clock not just for time, but as a stopwatch if I am timing somehting and as an alarm clock when travelling.  I no longer have a paper address book or calendar.  I listen to audio books when I do my daily walk.  I use the shopping apps to store coupons (Macy's, CVS.  I use Ibooks to store copies of my ID info for travel (passport, driver license, med lists, insurance cards).  I use the Navigation App for directions.  I have apps for my Spanish study class (Dictionaries, translators).  Play solitaire and Soduko.  Send/receive texts and emails.

I can no longer imagine daily life without at tablet.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 76
Kindle or Nook are good to travel vs heavy books . You can pull an ebook out of your purse at any time when you are waiting or traveling . I am retired now but before I retired I appreciated my kindle .
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 76
I like hard copy better too, but I also like how Kindle will take you back to the page that you left off. Sometimes I touch the page wrong and sometimes it's just spontaneous, but the page will go pages ahead, or behind.It's not often and it doesn't take too long to get back on track.
I hope to get a newer one with better speakers.
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 76

Like many, I do most or all of my bill paying online and actually, since there are no real sources for many things here on the island, I shop online.

When I first received my Kindle, I didn't think I would use it. I'm used to reading hard copy, when it comes to books. I didn't like the glare of the light, and how sometimes, it would change pages on me....usually because I caused some static reaction.

Now I use my Kindle Fire a lot.....and for getting online , just as much as reading.  I want so bad to get the larger, newest Kindle. I do have a birthday coming up........;-)

As for books, I get a lot of them, for Kindle, free or on loan.

I do, however , prefer the feel of a real book. Finances are such that , Kindle is used so much for reading.

Kath

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 76

Yes, I read ebooks, I started with a Kindle Touch and have since added the Kindle app on my tablet and smartphone. I have never looked back.

I remember looking at my wall of bookcases and thinking of all the extra room I could have if all those books were in one simple device and how much easier it would be to carry a book around if I could stick it in my pocket. To me, it is easier than holding a book and flipping pages. Just let your finger do the turning! 
Heehee

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 76

I find it very interesting to talk to someone who has never looked into e-books. Take my mother, for instance. Whenever I raised the topic, she would talk about how she liked the feel of holding a book in her hands. She would also talk about her favorite book marks that she would insert in her hard-copy book, when finishing a chapter.

Then, I retired and wrote a novel about baby boomers who found a cluster of crystals that made them 24 again. When I published it on Amazon, then gave her my paper white Kindle, she read the book there in just a few days.

Now all I hear her talk about is how marvelous e-books are. When she discovered the font size option, to make her text larger, and how it always keeps track of her last paragraph read, she was sold. Now she only reads from her Kindle. She is 83, and apparently never too old to try something different, and possibly better.

Dennis Sorensen

Author of The Methuselah Stone

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 76

Since I write for ebooks, as well as traditional styles, I am an advocate of ebook readers.  My Kindle HD is my primary ebook reader, although I have Kindle on my iPhone, also.  I chose the Kindle originally because through it, you have access to public libraries as well as books to purchase.  My novel, completed when I was 63, was first published as an ebook. I also know an author who has been quite successful (retired from his day job at 61) with all his fiction done as ebooks.  From the author's side, it's possible to get your work to more people. 

I'm looking forward to seeing a bit of your article!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 76
I was reluctant to read eBooks until my daughter gave me a Nook Book loaded with many books she bought. I can see the advantage of the eBooks, specially if it is a very large book. I also got a free Kindle application for my computer, I buy some books which are inexpensive compared to the paper books and I get some free books, of course I still read some of the wonderful paper books .. Since I read a lot, I have fun now with my Nook, The Kindle and real books!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 76

I bought a first generation Kindle and once I began reading from this I have not gone back to physical books. I now have an IPad and read mainly from this. I buy both from the Apple books and through Kindle that I have as an apt on my IPad. The original Kindle is still working but the charge doesn't last as long as it used to. 

My husband and I have acquired so many books over the years of our marriage (45 ) that space for a book in our house is a problem. We have floor to ceiling bookcases in most of our rooms and they are packed. I do give or pass along  a number of my purchased books but there are quite a few that we have chosen to keep. (Especially my husband) For this reason I love having them on an electronic device.

Another convenience is being able to instantly download a book. Many times I have finished one book while reading late at night and then downloaded another. I have even downloaded books while traveling on a bus. I like that I can find books by the same author at the end of the purchased book. If I really like a book I will read more (or all) of that author's work.

And....I don't have to have a light on while reading at night—to annoy my husband.

Frances a.k.a.

Starimage.jpgSparkel18

Kudos
Views