From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Devlin continued

Message 1 of 6
In Response to post:

Old soul, indeed, loggers.  Wish you had a photo of him like that to post.

Charlotte

I do have one that I have to scan first

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6
In Response to Devlin continued:

Devlin

Day 1 – 1 year

We brought Devlin home and were scared out of our wits. This was our first and as it turned out our only child. It was time when we should have been in bed, but Devlin had other ideas. He kept crying. I would rock him, walk around the house with him and this was getting on to midnight. I was beside myself with what ifs’. What if there is something wrong with him? What if there was something I was doing wrong? What if, what if…………. Finally I asked Tim to go to the store for something and the carport was right outside the Devlin’s room. As soon as he started the car Devlin went to sleep. Boy did the light bulb come on.

I was due for the wellness check up the next day, so my sister-in-law came by to drive us to the Dr. As you can guess, Devlin slept in the car, slept in the elevator, and slept in the waiting room. He was still asleep when I went in with the Dr. After my check-up, Dr. Lagerburg asked me how Devlin was doing. This is the Dr. that delivered him. I said “He is in the waiting room; do you want to come see him”? We both went out. Sure enough he was still asleep. My sister-in-law Hazel pulled aside the blanket. As soon as the Dr. said “Boy what a beautiful baby” Devlin’s eyes popped open and he let out a howl as if to say, “So you are the one that did this to me” After the Dr. left, he went back to sleep.

Devlin never went by normals. He never crawled, he swam across the floor. He would continually bump his head into our Lincoln log couch. Tim said he wanted to put padding all around. I told him that if it hurt enough Devlin would stop and he did. He went from swimming across the floor straight to walking. He went from the breast to drinking from a real cup. No sippy cup for him. As for toys, he would get bored with the ones for his age group, so we always got the older set so it would keep his attention.

Devlin didn’t get any teeth until after his first birthday. He wouldn’t chew on any teething ring, but would use this wood Tim was carving with, called Coco Bolo. It is a very hard wood and doesn’t splinter. Tim carved in the shape of a pipe and he would gum on that for hours. Imagine if you will a child of almost one, with a watch cap on, gumming a wooden pipe. Old soul right?

Yes, I agree, a very old soul.  I've met a few and though so small their eyes can see right through you and sometimes when they speak, you look at them and want to ask "Where did you come from?" You can't believe this little person just said that, surely they must be 150 yrs old! The phrase "struck dumb" has applied to me many times, as I sat with my mouth open, looking at a child who spouted words of wisdom beyond their years.  From the mouths of babes, came the words of an old soul.  Yes indeed!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Devlin

Day 1 – 1 year

We brought Devlin home and were scared out of our wits. This was our first and as it turned out our only child. It was time when we should have been in bed, but Devlin had other ideas. He kept crying. I would rock him, walk around the house with him and this was getting on to midnight. I was beside myself with what ifs’. What if there is something wrong with him? What if there was something I was doing wrong? What if, what if…………. Finally I asked Tim to go to the store for something and the carport was right outside the Devlin’s room. As soon as he started the car Devlin went to sleep. Boy did the light bulb come on.

I was due for the wellness check up the next day, so my sister-in-law came by to drive us to the Dr. As you can guess, Devlin slept in the car, slept in the elevator, and slept in the waiting room. He was still asleep when I went in with the Dr. After my check-up, Dr. Lagerburg asked me how Devlin was doing. This is the Dr. that delivered him. I said “He is in the waiting room; do you want to come see him”? We both went out. Sure enough he was still asleep. My sister-in-law Hazel pulled aside the blanket. As soon as the Dr. said “Boy what a beautiful baby” Devlin’s eyes popped open and he let out a howl as if to say, “So you are the one that did this to me” After the Dr. left, he went back to sleep.

Devlin never went by normals. He never crawled, he swam across the floor. He would continually bump his head into our Lincoln log couch. Tim said he wanted to put padding all around. I told him that if it hurt enough Devlin would stop and he did. He went from swimming across the floor straight to walking. He went from the breast to drinking from a real cup. No sippy cup for him. As for toys, he would get bored with the ones for his age group, so we always got the older set so it would keep his attention.

Devlin didn’t get any teeth until after his first birthday. He wouldn’t chew on any teething ring, but would use this wood Tim was carving with, called Coco Bolo. It is a very hard wood and doesn’t splinter. Tim carved in the shape of a pipe and he would gum on that for hours. Imagine if you will a child of almost one, with a watch cap on, gumming a wooden pipe. Old soul right?

Old soul, indeed, loggers.  Wish you had a photo of him like that to post.

Charlotte

Kudos
Views
MJ
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Devlin

Day 1 – 1 year

Very nice memories to share.  Reminds me of the first day we brought Jeff home.  Would you mind selecting a larger SIZE for your font, like 14 for instance?   It would surely help me and other readers whose eyesight isn't what it used to be www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif" />.  Keep up the nice writing.  Don't forget to create yourself a file folder on your computer and save them all.

Joan

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Devlin continued

Message 5 of 6

Devlin

Day 1 – 1 year

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Devlin continued

Message 5 of 6

Devlin

Day 1 – 1 year

Kudos
Views
Replies