When it comes to your workout, there's a good reason not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Devlin continued

Message 1 of 3
In Response to Devlin continued:

Devlin

Age 6-10

Devlin always had this inner strength inside that he made friend easily and well. 

When he was six, he had a friend over to the house to play. We lived on top of a hilly road. When it rained the water would rush down the street. We had new neighbors move in across from us. After it rained there son was out there with a make shift boat watching the water carry it away. I saw from my window Devlin’s friend making fun of the boy. You see the boy was Asian and the friend was teasing him as all kids do. I was about ready to call the friend to task when out of the corner of my eye I saw my son go over and pull him away from the fence. I never saw Devlin’s friend at our house again.

He was sensitive. We had other neighbors move in right next door. These neighbors had two dogs that accidently go out. They came to our door to ask if we had seen them. I told them no, but that we would keep our eyes out for them. After closing the door, I turned and saw my son was crying. He looked at me and say “Oh mom we have to go look” I said that they would probably be home soon, but that didn’t ease my son’s fear. So we bundled up to look. After a while we didn’t find them. My son said we had to go a let the neighbors know. He was still crying when we knocked on the door. They opened the door and Devlin cried out “I’m sorry we can’t find them” They said that they had found them and my son beamed from ear to ear.

My son loved the out doors. I signed him up to be a scout. Much to my chagrin I was elected board leader. We were planning on taking these city kids on a hiking trip. They had to come up with their own meal. They suggested things like TV dinners. The scout master was from the army and he helped them pack their backpacks. Except for my son’s. He also wanted to teach the kids a lesson about hiking, by out hiking them. He did all except for my son, who matched him step for step. 

At age 9, my son built his own bike out of parts. He didn’t read instructions, there were none. He didn’t ask for help, which if he would have, we didn’t know. So he figured it out piece by piece.

Also about that time, he was still having trouble in school. When I got a call from his teacher for a PTA meeting, she asked me about Devlin. I told her that all I get from him is, It’s OK. Fine, Alright” I suggested she meet with him and ask questions and he works well with adults. To my surprise she did. She had me come in first and then brought Devlin in. When she asked him why he was having problems, he said “I guess I am just dumb as all the other kids get 100’s” She told him. “Devlin you’re not dumb. You ask me questions that I have to go look up.” He visibly sat up straighter in the chair. She asked him why he could get his math done in class. Devlin said “There wasn’t enough time” She said how about her asking the Math teacher to give him oral tests” He just smiled that goofy little smile. At the end of that year, I was approached by parents that said they had noticed a big change in him. All it took was someone to understand him.

He also took thing literally. One day a friend and him were in the hallway and being noisy. The teacher told them they couldn’t be in that hallway the rest of the day. When he came home, he was in tears. When I asked him why? He said “The teacher told him that he couldn’t be in that hallway the rest of the year”. We call the school and talked to the teacher to straighten everything out. 

I always had to use analogies for him. When he got into trouble and said the other boy started it first, I said “ You have two football players and the first throws an illegal block, the second guy takes offense and punches the first player, who would be penalized? He chose the second guy. When I asked him why? He said because the ref probably didn’t see the first guy.

We started him in baseball. We always taught him to finish what he starts, then if he didn’t like it he didn’t need to do it next time. He position was mostly catcher. There was this one child who wanted to be catcher. Devlin got worried. I told that he had no one to prove anything to except his coach and himself. Well the coach decided to give the other child a chance. He didn’t do well so the coach put him back as catcher. They went to all-stars. 

That  was the time of error cards in baseball and the kids got to have their own baseball card with their picture on it. When Devlin got his card, they had spelled his name wrong. The spelled it Derlin. He was a hit with the kids, because his was the only error card.  So from then on he was nicknamed Derlin.

It fills my heart to see the relationship you had with your son, and you had a way with him, and took the time to see things through just as you taught him to do.  He was the only one with an error card, how special, just as he was.  Thank you for sharing him with the rest of us.  Your Friend with hugs....RaeDi

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Devlin continued

Message 2 of 3

Devlin

Age 6-10

Devlin always had this inner strength inside that he made friend easily and well. 

When he was six, he had a friend over to the house to play. We lived on top of a hilly road. When it rained the water would rush down the street. We had new neighbors move in across from us. After it rained there son was out there with a make shift boat watching the water carry it away. I saw from my window Devlin’s friend making fun of the boy. You see the boy was Asian and the friend was teasing him as all kids do. I was about ready to call the friend to task when out of the corner of my eye I saw my son go over and pull him away from the fence. I never saw Devlin’s friend at our house again.

He was sensitive. We had other neighbors move in right next door. These neighbors had two dogs that accidently go out. They came to our door to ask if we had seen them. I told them no, but that we would keep our eyes out for them. After closing the door, I turned and saw my son was crying. He looked at me and say “Oh mom we have to go look” I said that they would probably be home soon, but that didn’t ease my son’s fear. So we bundled up to look. After a while we didn’t find them. My son said we had to go a let the neighbors know. He was still crying when we knocked on the door. They opened the door and Devlin cried out “I’m sorry we can’t find them” They said that they had found them and my son beamed from ear to ear.

My son loved the out doors. I signed him up to be a scout. Much to my chagrin I was elected board leader. We were planning on taking these city kids on a hiking trip. They had to come up with their own meal. They suggested things like TV dinners. The scout master was from the army and he helped them pack their backpacks. Except for my son’s. He also wanted to teach the kids a lesson about hiking, by out hiking them. He did all except for my son, who matched him step for step. 

At age 9, my son built his own bike out of parts. He didn’t read instructions, there were none. He didn’t ask for help, which if he would have, we didn’t know. So he figured it out piece by piece.

Also about that time, he was still having trouble in school. When I got a call from his teacher for a PTA meeting, she asked me about Devlin. I told her that all I get from him is, It’s OK. Fine, Alright” I suggested she meet with him and ask questions and he works well with adults. To my surprise she did. She had me come in first and then brought Devlin in. When she asked him why he was having problems, he said “I guess I am just dumb as all the other kids get 100’s” She told him. “Devlin you’re not dumb. You ask me questions that I have to go look up.” He visibly sat up straighter in the chair. She asked him why he could get his math done in class. Devlin said “There wasn’t enough time” She said how about her asking the Math teacher to give him oral tests” He just smiled that goofy little smile. At the end of that year, I was approached by parents that said they had noticed a big change in him. All it took was someone to understand him.

He also took thing literally. One day a friend and him were in the hallway and being noisy. The teacher told them they couldn’t be in that hallway the rest of the day. When he came home, he was in tears. When I asked him why? He said “The teacher told him that he couldn’t be in that hallway the rest of the year”. We call the school and talked to the teacher to straighten everything out. 

I always had to use analogies for him. When he got into trouble and said the other boy started it first, I said “ You have two football players and the first throws an illegal block, the second guy takes offense and punches the first player, who would be penalized? He chose the second guy. When I asked him why? He said because the ref probably didn’t see the first guy.

We started him in baseball. We always taught him to finish what he starts, then if he didn’t like it he didn’t need to do it next time. He position was mostly catcher. There was this one child who wanted to be catcher. Devlin got worried. I told that he had no one to prove anything to except his coach and himself. Well the coach decided to give the other child a chance. He didn’t do well so the coach put him back as catcher. They went to all-stars. 

That  was the time of error cards in baseball and the kids got to have their own baseball card with their picture on it. When Devlin got his card, they had spelled his name wrong. The spelled it Derlin. He was a hit with the kids, because his was the only error card.  So from then on he was nicknamed Derlin.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Devlin continued

Message 2 of 3

Devlin

Age 6-10

Kudos
Views
Replies