Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Devlin 11 - 16

Message 1 of 2

Devlin

Age 11-16

At the age of 11 things were getting difficult for him. He had the bike he built stolen from him while he attended summer school. He was devastated. He couldn’t understand why anyone would want his bike. He wasn’t doing well in school either. So I knew.

There were good things also. He wanted a snowboard so bad. We said we would rent one then take him to the mountains with a friend to test it out. Little did I know what we started.

So up to Snoqualmie pass we went. We found a slight hill they could practice on. Up they trudged full of vim and vigor. They had thought this was going to be easy. So down they came falling three or four times. The second try was better. Down they came; doing 360’s all the way. At least they stayed upright this time. On the third try, his friend was still doing 360’s, but Devlin managed to keep it straight a few times. On the fourth try his friend faired better, and Devlin had it down. Before we knew it became a cinch and a love of his that lasted.

So he kept pestering us for his own board, so being that they were expensive we said if he came up with half we would put in the other half, that way I would know he really wanted it. He did and we got a brand new one the next year for him.

Around this time he also picked up the guitar. A friend of ours new how to play so he showed him a few cords and of course like anything else he did he mastered it in no time at all. Our friend was so impressed by this he gave him a guitar and amp. So as all boys do with dreams of stardom in their eyes, got together a few friends, formed a band, and played a couple of gigs. He then went back to his first love the snowboard. He only played for himself from then on.

Now the time has come to get his license. He did get his permit or a car as some kids do early, but he did get his drivers license on the third try. His bike was his main mode of transportation. He just didn’t feel the need for a car or girls for that matter. We took him to the mountains when he needed to go or he bummed a ride from some one.

One day in his sophomore year he came home from school and said he wanted to quit. I knew all along that it was coming. He didn’t enjoy school. I told him it was fine with me, but he wasn’t going to stay home using my electricity, eating my food and lying on my couch. Next thing I knew he went out and got a roofing job. He came home with his first pay check and exclaimed, “Mom, Look at my check! Look at all they took out.” To which I replied, “Welcome to the real world”.

Pretty soon he started using our car to go snowboarding. We gave him our truck to go to work. He had his first accident with a mailbox. He had a sliver in his hand from work, and looked down at it and as he did he turned the steering wheel in the same direction. Lucky all he hit was a mailbox.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Devlin 11 - 16

Message 1 of 2

Devlin

Age 11-16

At the age of 11 things were getting difficult for him. He had the bike he built stolen from him while he attended summer school. He was devastated. He couldn’t understand why anyone would want his bike. He wasn’t doing well in school either. So I knew.

There were good things also. He wanted a snowboard so bad. We said we would rent one then take him to the mountains with a friend to test it out. Little did I know what we started.

So up to Snoqualmie pass we went. We found a slight hill they could practice on. Up they trudged full of vim and vigor. They had thought this was going to be easy. So down they came falling three or four times. The second try was better. Down they came; doing 360’s all the way. At least they stayed upright this time. On the third try, his friend was still doing 360’s, but Devlin managed to keep it straight a few times. On the fourth try his friend faired better, and Devlin had it down. Before we knew it became a cinch and a love of his that lasted.

So he kept pestering us for his own board, so being that they were expensive we said if he came up with half we would put in the other half, that way I would know he really wanted it. He did and we got a brand new one the next year for him.

Around this time he also picked up the guitar. A friend of ours new how to play so he showed him a few cords and of course like anything else he did he mastered it in no time at all. Our friend was so impressed by this he gave him a guitar and amp. So as all boys do with dreams of stardom in their eyes, got together a few friends, formed a band, and played a couple of gigs. He then went back to his first love the snowboard. He only played for himself from then on.

Now the time has come to get his license. He did get his permit or a car as some kids do early, but he did get his drivers license on the third try. His bike was his main mode of transportation. He just didn’t feel the need for a car or girls for that matter. We took him to the mountains when he needed to go or he bummed a ride from some one.

One day in his sophomore year he came home from school and said he wanted to quit. I knew all along that it was coming. He didn’t enjoy school. I told him it was fine with me, but he wasn’t going to stay home using my electricity, eating my food and lying on my couch. Next thing I knew he went out and got a roofing job. He came home with his first pay check and exclaimed, “Mom, Look at my check! Look at all they took out.” To which I replied, “Welcome to the real world”.

Pretty soon he started using our car to go snowboarding. We gave him our truck to go to work. He had his first accident with a mailbox. He had a sliver in his hand from work, and looked down at it and as he did he turned the steering wheel in the same direction. Lucky all he hit was a mailbox.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies