You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

re: Dev age 1 - 5

Message 1 of 5
In Response to post:

Your memory and detail is wonderful.  I can feel your motherheart speaking to me as I remember my own son at that age. 

Just a beautifully written story.  Very well done!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
MJ
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5
In Response to Dev age 1 - 5:

Devlin

Age 1-5

I was fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom for the first two years of his life. I enjoyed it, even though it was him and me alone. I was afraid that I would start talking baby talk amongst the grown-ups.

We would take walks to get out of the house. He would sit in his seat discovering he had toes. He seemed quite surprised by this.

For Halloween I made him a superman outfit with cape and all. For red boots I put red knit socks over his cowboy boots. He loved that suit so much that he wore it to bed as pajamas until they wore out. 

He loved his Fisher price tool belt that we got him for Christmas. He would go around the house trying to fix things. When asked why he was doing that he said, “Because I love you” Dad had a bench in the basement and made a lower shelf a place where he could work on things beside him.

He figured out thing so quickly that we always bought toys two years older to keep his attention.

One day in the fall, we were out in the garden and he picked up a cucumber that was rotting and made such a face I couldn’t stop laughing. 

When he was 2 I had to go back to work. It was pretty traumatic for him as with all children. I remember that I got a call from the Daycare mother and she said that Devlin poured cough syrup all over her nice new rug. Needless to say he never went back to that day care. We found a better one. I explained all the problems he was having at the last day care. She said she would try him out for a month and see. When I came to pick him up, there he was sitting on her lap with two other children, happy as a clam. She said she had no problems with him, but did notice that he might be Dyslexic.

When he started school, noticed that he would sit down and study like the rest and was always getting into trouble. He always questioned the teachers and some didn’t appreciate it. Some how I knew that he wouldn’t finish school. The school seems to focus on the bad boy image than try to figure out the problem. He always responded well one on one with adults. I tried my best to get him to read, but all he wanted to do was to put things together. He did well in this one day care, because she responded to his positive and creative thinking. He liked her a lot because she cared.

At the age of 5 we got him his first bike. The bike had training wheels, but of course he didn’t want them on. So we took them off. He had great balance and didn’t need them. But I guess we forgot to explain certain things like steering and brakes. When Dad let go, Devlin was headed straight for a 6ft wood fence. We were running down the street yelling, “Dev put on the brakes” Dev turn the wheel” None of these worked. He was still headed straight for the fence. Lucky for me, my husband was a fast runner, and was able to catch him before he plowed into the fence. From then on, he developed a love of bikes.

Your memory and detail is wonderful.  I can feel your motherheart speaking to me as I remember my own son at that age. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5
In Response to Dev age 1 - 5:

Devlin

Age 1-5

I was fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom for the first two years of his life. I enjoyed it, even though it was him and me alone. I was afraid that I would start talking baby talk amongst the grown-ups.

We would take walks to get out of the house. He would sit in his seat discovering he had toes. He seemed quite surprised by this.

For Halloween I made him a superman outfit with cape and all. For red boots I put red knit socks over his cowboy boots. He loved that suit so much that he wore it to bed as pajamas until they wore out. 

He loved his Fisher price tool belt that we got him for Christmas. He would go around the house trying to fix things. When asked why he was doing that he said, “Because I love you” Dad had a bench in the basement and made a lower shelf a place where he could work on things beside him.

He figured out thing so quickly that we always bought toys two years older to keep his attention.

One day in the fall, we were out in the garden and he picked up a cucumber that was rotting and made such a face I couldn’t stop laughing. 

When he was 2 I had to go back to work. It was pretty traumatic for him as with all children. I remember that I got a call from the Daycare mother and she said that Devlin poured cough syrup all over her nice new rug. Needless to say he never went back to that day care. We found a better one. I explained all the problems he was having at the last day care. She said she would try him out for a month and see. When I came to pick him up, there he was sitting on her lap with two other children, happy as a clam. She said she had no problems with him, but did notice that he might be Dyslexic.

When he started school, noticed that he would sit down and study like the rest and was always getting into trouble. He always questioned the teachers and some didn’t appreciate it. Some how I knew that he wouldn’t finish school. The school seems to focus on the bad boy image than try to figure out the problem. He always responded well one on one with adults. I tried my best to get him to read, but all he wanted to do was to put things together. He did well in this one day care, because she responded to his positive and creative thinking. He liked her a lot because she cared.

At the age of 5 we got him his first bike. The bike had training wheels, but of course he didn’t want them on. So we took them off. He had great balance and didn’t need them. But I guess we forgot to explain certain things like steering and brakes. When Dad let go, Devlin was headed straight for a 6ft wood fence. We were running down the street yelling, “Dev put on the brakes” Dev turn the wheel” None of these worked. He was still headed straight for the fence. Lucky for me, my husband was a fast runner, and was able to catch him before he plowed into the fence. From then on, he developed a love of bikes.

I had a cousin that was dyslexic (back before they had a name for it). He also loved bikes and ended up working in a bike shop and doing bicycle raising. I think a lot of dyslexic kids have a lot of mechanical talent.

Your story of the bike ride reminds me the time my step-son Ben borrowed his sisters bike (that had hand brakes). Ben's trainer bike had coaster brakes. He was speeding down the street towards the highway, peddling backwards for all he was worth and screaming. At the last yard before the highway he jumped the curb into a neighbor's yard and laid the bike down. I thought that was really smart for him to figure out, since no one had explained to him about the hand brakes. I asked him how he figured out to do that and he said "I'm not allowed to go on the highway, so I knew i had to stop". It was so funny (in relief that he wasn't hurt). He wasn't worried about the traffic on the highway, he was worried about going "out of bounds".

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Dev age 1 - 5

Message 4 of 5

Devlin

Age 1-5

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Dev age 1 - 5

Message 4 of 5

Devlin

Age 1-5

Kudos
Views
Replies