Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

COINCIDENCES GALORE

Message 1 of 1

Four Coincidences in Four Consecutive Days

Four days ago, my 96-year-old adopted Mum (she once scurried into air-raid shelters during the Nazis’ bombing of England) in a nostalgic mood asked me if I knew one of the most cherished songs that comforted her during the Blitz, “The Sweet Bye and Bye.” I told her that I was well aware of the melody. That same night, as I was watching the post-Civil War series Hell on Wheels, I heard a strikingly familiar tune in the background of one of the episodes: it was “The Sweet Bye and Bye.” There is more to the coincidence. Right after the song, an Indian raiding party swooped down (or should I say blitzed) the defenseless homesteaders.

Three days ago, while I was working on a crossword puzzle, there was an item “_______DeSantis.” Aware that the Governor of Florida’s first name was Ron, I easily filled in the blank. This morning the first article that I noticed on the Times of Israel website touted the fact that Ron DeSantis would be conducting his next cabinet meeting in Israel. I am not fond of the right-wing Governor, but my delight in coincidences trumps my political bias.

Two days ago, the novel that I was reading, The Emperor of Shoes, focused on the main character (Alexander) as he completes his hard-fought quest to return a Chinese mutilated corpse to its family; otherwise, the spirit of the deceased would never rest. I did a double take: the night before, on the TV series The Outsiders, the main character (Asa) for the same transcendent reason overcomes many setbacks to return his kin’s mutilated corpse to its Kentucky clan in the mountains. What is more, both main characters have first names that begin with an A, reinforcing the coincidence.

Yesterday, my wife and I had many errands to run. But we were a bit delayed because every time we drove on a main road, local pickup trucks with various kinds of wood piled up and hanging out of the cab noxiously lumbered on right in front of us. What an unpleasant coincidence! Lodged in heavy traffic each time, we spent about the same amount of time finally bypassing these obstructions. I’d much rather smell roses than fumes.

schlomo
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors