Get answers to your legal and financial affairs questions about caregiving from AARP expert Amanda Singleton. Join the discussion today!

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: CHILDHOOD MEMOIRS

Message 1 of 11
Thank you Robin. Carmela had a wonderful personality and did a great job taking care of all of us. I am glad you liked my story. Sara
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11
How fortunate you were to have such a lovely sister... watching her in her cheerfulness but then change to aggravation with the mess the doves made was a wonderful, healthy example of the multiple emotional expressions we humans are prone to! I can just see the scene and especially you & your siblings laughing merrily : )
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Lazy Bones

For my 2nd or 3rd Christmas I was given a stuffed dog. He was red and white and I called him “Lazy Bones” the same as a song by Johnny Mercer that was popular on the radio at the time. He was my constant companion as he was soft and floppy. I slept with him and I remember dragging him around the house, sometimes by a paw and sometimes by a long floppy ear. There are several photos of me and Lazy Bones. There is one where he is sitting across from me at my little table with the tea set given to me by my aunt.

Several years ago I happened to see one of these photos and asked what happened to that dog. Now, I must say that my mother saved everything. I still have my first teddy bear and the stuffed lamb that was a gift from my grandmother when I was born, along with various dolls, etc. We don’t remember what happened to Lazy Bones. He seems to have “disappeared” about the time we moved from my grandmother’s house and were building our own when most of our toys were in storage.

One day, I was thinking about Lazy Bones and how much I had enjoyed him and I decided to do some experimentation and recreate him. I ended up making several replicas and that became my gift for all the new babies on my list for several years. Sometimes I used pink for the girls and blue for the boys. It was really special when I gave one to my mother on her 90th birthday in the original red and white. She had loved Lazy Bones too.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11
How sweet… I can just see you girls laughing after all the trouble Carmela went through to clean the porch as well as her frustration at seeing her clean porch all messy again! lol : )
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

re: CHILDHOOD MEMOIRS

Message 5 of 11
In Response to post:

Sara, I'm glad to see you're latest posting. You always have nice tales to tell us, and always with a little moral to your stories.

You make me curious about your family, and seem to have many loved ones around you. Please tell  us more about them when you have the time. Being an only child as well as an only Grandchild, makes me eager to read how it is or was living with lots of family.

Thanks for sharingwww.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif" />

Eileen/

Thank you BrendanBrat, I will try to write something about the joys of having a large family.

Sara.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11
In Response to CHILDHOOD MEMOIRS:

MY SISTER AND THE DOVES

When my parents died, my sister Carmela and her husband assumed the responsibility of taking care of all the younger siblings. (One little boy and three girls, me included) We all loved her very much. Carmela had a wonderful personality, besides being beautiful, she was always cheerful and her optimism was contagious.  Always looking at the good side of every situation, I admired her and wanted to be like her. 

One day she woke up in a very happy mood, singing, dancing and making jokes. After doing some house cleaning inside she went outside to clean the porch which was full of leaves, when the broom didn’t work very well she decided to hose the leaves down.

In the porch,  at the corner of the roof lived a family of doves, my sister saw them and started to say how lucky we were to have so many pretty doves in our porch, that they sounded so nice cooing their babies, and she went on and on about the pretty doves.

After a while, her job was done and the porch was sparkling clean.  Carmela went inside and got busy with some other things.  A little bit later we were all sitting at the breakfast table when we heard Carmela yelling outside, “Darned doves” Get out of here!, and we saw her branding the broom as a weapon chasing the doves, when we looked down, the nice clean porch was full of dove’s droppings, we laughed and laughed and for a moment we thought that she had split personality. 

She forgave us for laughing, the doves came back to the roof and I think I am a little bit like her; I try to see the good side of every situation.

Sara, I'm glad to see you're latest posting. You always have nice tales to tell us, and always with a little moral to your stories.

You make me curious about your family, and seem to have many loved ones around you. Please tell  us more about them when you have the time. Being an only child as well as an only Grandchild, makes me eager to read how it is or was living with lots of family.

Thanks for sharingwww.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/teeth_smile.gif" />

Eileen/

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

MY SISTER AND THE DOVES

When my parents died, my sister Carmela and her husband assumed the responsibility of taking care of all the younger siblings. (One little boy and three girls, me included) We all loved her very much. Carmela had a wonderful personality, besides being beautiful, she was always cheerful and her optimism was contagious.  Always looking at the good side of every situation, I admired her and wanted to be like her. 

One day she woke up in a very happy mood, singing, dancing and making jokes. After doing some house cleaning inside she went outside to clean the porch which was full of leaves, when the broom didn’t work very well she decided to hose the leaves down.

In the porch,  at the corner of the roof lived a family of doves, my sister saw them and started to say how lucky we were to have so many pretty doves in our porch, that they sounded so nice cooing their babies, and she went on and on about the pretty doves.

After a while, her job was done and the porch was sparkling clean.  Carmela went inside and got busy with some other things.  A little bit later we were all sitting at the breakfast table when we heard Carmela yelling outside, “Darned doves” Get out of here!, and we saw her branding the broom as a weapon chasing the doves, when we looked down, the nice clean porch was full of dove’s droppings, we laughed and laughed and for a moment we thought that she had split personality. 

She forgave us for laughing, the doves came back to the roof and I think I am a little bit like her; I try to see the good side of every situation.

that's an amusing vignette of your childhood

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11
In Response to post:

I think what I love most about your childhood memory is that you allowed your sister to be....human.  We all have the potential for angelic and ornery (or hostile) behavior.  But it's what other people remember that gives us a life that lives on and on and on...so long as those memories are shared.  I personally want to know that someone so important to another person is not placed so high on a pedestal that being simply human can bring it all down.

Your sister was an angel...no doubt about it, but she also was human enough to know she had a choice in how she looked at life.  I heard someone say one time, many years ago, "Never be so heavenly bound that you're no earthly good any more.'.  Thank you so much for sharing a wonderful slice of your childhood with us.

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you liked my little story, what you said is true; we all have good moods and bad moods and is nice to be able to laugh when the situation calls for it, without hurting anybody's feelings.

Sara

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

MY SISTER AND THE DOVES

I think what I love most about your childhood memory is that you allowed your sister to be....human.  We all have the potential for angelic and ornery (or hostile) behavior.  But it's what other people remember that gives us a life that lives on and on and on...so long as those memories are shared.  I personally want to know that someone so important to another person is not placed so high on a pedestal that being simply human can bring it all down.

Your sister was an angel...no doubt about it, but she also was human enough to know she had a choice in how she looked at life.  I heard someone say one time, many years ago, "Never be so heavenly bound that you're no earthly good any more.'.  Thank you so much for sharing a wonderful slice of your childhood with us.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

CHILDHOOD MEMOIRS

Message 10 of 11

MY SISTER AND THE DOVES

Kudos
Views