There’s always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: CALLING ALL SCI-FI/FANTASY READERS

Message 21 of 32
Roberttwditmer47,
I have read Asimov - one of these days I would like to reread the Foundation serites. I have read some Heinlein, Niven, Harrison and Silverberg. Robert Silverberg's Nightwings book has been republished and is now available. I haven't read that one yet. And I have been meaning to read Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series. For fun I have read Terry Pratchett's Disc series.
Lindy Witz
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 32

I grew up on science fiction and fantasy in the 1960's: Heinlein, Blish, Asimov, Norton, NIven, Sir Arthur C. Clarke and my favorite: Ray Bradbury. I met Asimov in the early 1970's and Bradbury in 1993. I still think R Is For Rocket is one of the best short story compliations: Sound of Thunder, The Long Rain, Fire & Ice, etc. I still have a Martian drawing Bradbury did for me as a joke. I began collecting the  original art as well from the Science Fiction digests (Freas) and still have a published Metropolis painting and unpublished Doc Savage painting (with Steve Holland as the model).

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 32
wolfchild,
Anne McCaffrey's Pern worlds is also great and is fantasy (with just a tiny bit of sci/fi). You may also want to check out David Eddings (like Anne no longer with us), C.J. Cherryh, David Arenson (mainly Dragons, OMG love them), Terry Brooks (Shannara now a MTV series), Tanya Huff, Jennifer Roberson, Lindsay Buroker, Morgan Rice - just to name a few. And of course there is always Tolkein.
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 32

A life-long fantasy and SF fan here.  I love and re-read the authors already mentioned.

Some new to try: 

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series.  You could start with either The Warrior's Apprentice or Cordelia's Honor

Fantasy:

Mercedes Lackey's Valdimar Series Arrows of the Queen

Robin Hobb's Farseer series Assassin's Apprentice

I'm 65 and I absolutely LOVE my Kindle Paperwhite reader.  I no longer buy paper books unless they are very old used ones that are hard to find or have not been digitized.  With the e-reader, I can change the font size and style to whatever works for me, and I can carry hundreds of books around with me, and they automatically set bookmarks for me where I left off reading.  (But to each his own!)

For those with e-readers, definitely sign up with Bookbub (it is free) and tailor to the genres you are interested in.  I've gotten a ton of e-books for free or for 99 cents due to Bookbub alerts.

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 32
DoryAnne2,
I have read some Orson Scott Card but not the ender series. Have you checked out any Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey, C. J. Cherryh. Some of the new authors I have discovered are Daniel Arenson, Mike Hicks, Lindsay Buroker, Morgan Rice, Robert Crane. A recent discovery is Chris Rehr - her ebooks are unfortunately only available on Amazon, but two are still available and free on Barnes & Noble and I believe SmashWords. I emailed her asking where I could get epubs of her books and that's when she let me know about the Amazon only thing. But she did give me a review copy of one of her other books.
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 32

Science fiction was always may favorite genre ever since my teenage years. As a youngster my favorite books were the Lucky Starr series written by Isaac Asimov, and Tom Swift and Doc Savage books. As I got older I started collecting science fiction, but my collection focused on "science" fiction and not just sci-fi. (I have never really gotten into fantasy or space opera, like the Star Wars books.)

My favorite authors have always been Isaac Asimov (especially the Foundation series, robot stories, mystery stories, and the Norby Chronicles), Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, Robert Silverberg, and Harry Harrison. For pure fun I enjoy reading the Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 32

I guess the Darkover world Marian Zimmer Bradley along with Mercedes Lackey Valdemar books are labled fantasy more than Sci-Fi. I'm always looking for new worlds to visit/escape to. Suggestions are always appreciated.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 32

Always loved Scifi and Fantasy...since first beginning to read Issac Asimov as a teen.  Particularly enjoy Orson Scott Card.  His Ender series is fantastic.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 32

ls9270 wrote:

retiredtraveler,

So if you like the sci-fi stuff you have probably read a lot of David Brin, Robert Silverberg, Anne McCaffrey, Larry Niven, Terry Pratchett (for the fun sci-fi)......Peirs Anthony, Elizabeth Moon, Simon Green, Alan Dean Foster (love his Pip & Flinx books), C.J. Cherryh, Daniel Arenson.....". ....Since some of my favorit authors (Asimov, Norton, McCaffrey, etc, etc) are no longer with us, I went looking for new authors as I am a voracious reader and enjoy finding some great authors in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.....".

I have read most of the names you mention. I don't do that much pleasure reading, and I tend to re-read a lot of the old stuff that I have at home. I used to purchase paperbacks on a regular basis while working downtown in Chicago.  I was in the Sci Fi bookclub for awhile, so have some hardbounds.

The 'Foundation' series from Asimov has been read half a dozen times over the years. I really like the collaborations of Niven and Pournelle.

No e-reader. I'm old fashioned and still carry my old paperbacks around with me when I travel.  I'll take a look at some of the authors with whom I have no familiarity, such as Arenson. I don't frequent bookstores (heck, most of them are gone) as I used to and don't look online for sci fi stuff (well, I do get a lot of sci-fi via postings in the AARP political threads).   

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 32

retiredtraveler,

So if you like the sci-fi stuff you have probably read a lot of David Brin, Robert Silverberg, Anne McCaffrey, Larry Niven, Terry Pratchett (for the fun sci-fi).  Some of my other favorite authors that write some sci-fi are Tanya Huff, Peirs Anthony, Elizabeth Moon, Simon Green, Alan Dean Foster (love his Pip & Flinx books), C.J. Cherryh, Daniel Arenson.  I have a number of favortie authors who only write fantasy and some of those that I mentioned previous write both sci-fi & fantasy.  I avoid almost all of the "vampire/werewolf" genre (some I do read because I am familiar with the authors).  I also avoid the so-called "fantasy romance".  Since you like Asimov, you may want to check out  Mickey Zucker Reichert who has recently release books based on Asimov's "I, Robot".  I have read her other books and she is a fantastic writer.

Since some of my favorit authors (Asimov, Norton, McCaffrey, etc, etc) are no longer with us, I went looking for new authors as I am a voracious reader and enjoy finding some great authors in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.  A lot of authors have their own websites and actually give away free ebooks (do you have ereader)?   You can also join their mailing lists which is nice since some give away the first book of their new series.  There are a couple of authors I communicate with almost as if we actually have met face to face.

Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views