Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: CALLING ALL SCI-FI/FANTASY READERS

Message 1 of 32
Both Jim Butcher and Brandon Sanderson are on my wish list of books to get (really need to win the lottery).
Lindy Witz
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 32
thatcherbills,
I have read a lot (16) of the Piers Anthony Xanth series as well as some of his sci-fi. I was surprised that he is still writing Xanth stories. I have also read Lyndon Hardy's Magics series. I absolutely love Pip and Flinx (have all that have been published) and hope for more to be written. I have over 2,000 books (mainly paperbacks since I started reading SciFi/Fantasy almost 40 years ago), so it is very hard for me to list all of the authors I have enjoyed over the years. This morning when I woke up in the wee hours and couldn't get back to sleep I decided to start reading my David Eddings books again which are great fantasy books. Unfortunately, he is another author that has passed on. Mike Resnick's Widowmaker is also a very good series.
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 32

I am a huge reader and my favorite genre is Fantasy/SciFi!

My all time favorite book/series is Dune.  I think Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson have done a great job continuing the series.  I read the Game of Thrones series back when it first cam out, long before it was hugely popular.  I am still angry at Martin for piddling around with everything but the book he was supposed to finished three years ago.  Smiley Mad

I have enjoyed Kevin Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns series and Asimov's Foundation series.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 32

Up until 5 years ago my reading choices were historical fiction, mysteries, and thrillers. But then when in the hospital recuperating from a near fatal heart attack, I asked my son to bring me something good to read to take my mind of things. He brought me Storm Front by Jim Butcher and I became a fantasy convert. I have read some scifi but I prefer pure fantasy.

Some of my favorite reads are :

The Dresden Files and Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher,

Riyria Revelations and Riyria Chronicles series by Michael J Sullivan,

The Farseer, The Tawney Man and The Fitz and Fool trilogies by Robin Hobb,

The Broken Empire and The Red Queen's War series by Mark Lawrence,

Mistborn and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson,

Night Angel and The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks,

The Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett,

King Raven and Song of Albion by Stephen Lawhead,

The Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan (The first book is fantastic. The 3rd, not so much.) The Shedim Conspiracy series by Burk Fitzpatrick is self published.

The Shadow Campaigns series by Django Wexler,

The First Law and The Shattered Sea series by Joe Abercrombie

Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch

Rai-Kirah series by Carol Berg

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 32

I read the more traditional type of SCI-FI. David Weber has been a favorite. Fantasy is not something I go to very often. But I have gotten tangled a time or two.I brouse Amason often and have over a hundred book on my wish list. I am still working. Although I love my work, my fondest wish is to have more time to read.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 32
I read anything and everything I can. Three I can recommend are Marcella Burnard ( Enemy series, Nightmare Ink), Noel-Anne Brennan ( Sword of the Land, Blood of the Land, etc) and finally Kelly Morrison who will release her first book, Left for Dead, on Amazon shortly. Love all books from classics such as Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and Lord of the Rings to mental fluff like the Lizzy and Diesel series,
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 32

I've been into both sci-fi and some fantasy, enjoyed Asimov, Bradbury, Heinlein, Harrison, Niven and his various co-writers, Clarke, Dick, and more, but I've got a few more to throw in the mix. I really enjoyed Murray Leinster's Med Ship series, and Fritz Leiber's Fafherd and the Gray Mouser series. James Schmitz's Witches of Karres (and others), along with Eric Flint's followup, the Wizard of Karres were enjoyable.

On a different tack, there's Randall Garrett and his "what if magic was real and science was scoffed at" Lord Darcy series.

I'm very surprised that no one has yet mentioned Piers Anthony, who's done everything from sci-fi (Total Recall) to the silly but enjoyable Xanth series in which readers get to suggest puns to be incorporated into the stories. Lyndon Hardy's Magics series, Foster's Pip & Flinx and Spellsinger series, along with other books, and David Drake for both sci-fi and fantasy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 32

I forgot to mention how growing up in rural NY State it was sometimes diffiuclt to get to the to city 50 miles away to the wonderful bookstore to get sci-fi books.  Often the paperbacks had a way you could order books in the mail.  Of course, there was a public library that had about fiive shelves of books.  This is wherre I discovered Rober Heinlein and Robert Silverberg...and I joined the Science Fiction Book Club as a teen.  And you got introduced at times to some erotice thems that a teen could tune into.  Let us not forget----Edgar Rice Burroughs!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 32

Do you include Philip K. Dick and A.E Van Vogt in that mix?.  I had an older borther who influenced me to read science fiction and a sister who shaared her love of books like Chronicles of Narnia, Edgar Eager books (Half Magic, etc), Green Knowe books by L.M. Boston  Some authors I would recommend are Sheri Tepper, Ru Emerson, Tad Williams, Ben Bova, Ardath Mayhar, and Mercedes Lackey.  You can wiki search either category.  Have fun reading and discovering these fascinating genres.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 32

Yes....I've had to correct people on Andre's gender over the years. By the way... here is a link to dedicated wbsite:  http://www.andre-norton.org. Even though she passed in 2005, there are still several of her work's pending publishment. Thanks.

Kudos
Views