You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: CALLING ALL SCI-FI/FANTASY READERS

Message 11 of 32
ls5581,
I totally agree - so many wonderful books, so little time. If I ever win the lottery I know where most of the money will go. I have read so many different authors that it has been difficult for me to list the ones I think are best. And I still sometimes run across a short story by H. Beam Piper. Years ago I worked with some one who was a big Orson Scott Card fan and really didn't want to discuss other authors. I recently learned that former coworker has passed on.
Lindy Witz
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 32

Authors Joe Abercrombie and Anthony Ryan are recommended for dark themed and well written fantasy.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 32

My first book report ever in the fifth grade was on "Lucky Star and Rings of Saturn"!  I've been hooked on most elements of science fiction since.  In short order, I moved from Lucky Starr to Tom Corbett, Tom Swift (Jr.), and Rick Brandt.  I discovered Edgar Rice Burroughs, Edmund Hamilton, E.E. "Doc" Smith next and read all of their books.  Then came Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Andre Norton, Poul Anderson, A. E. Van Vogt, Harry Harrison, L. Ron Hubbard, H. Beam Piper.  After them followed L. Sprague de Camp, Fritz Lieber, Philip Jose Farmer and Orson Scott Card.  Frank Herbert, Jack C. Chalker, Glenn Cook, Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven were tops.  Lately, I'ver really been enjoying Eric Flint, David Weber, John Ringo, Robert Asprin, and Christopher Nuttall.  I've bee around nearly seven decades; and, I have loved the wonder, foresight, excitement, intelligence, philosophy and humor of Science Fiction all along.  I guess I will continue to do so until I can read no longer.  They are so many others who may haven't the volume of these I've mentioned; but who have moved me just as much.  I will always have special affection though for the works of Heinlein, Asimov, Norton, Weber, and Pournelle.  So many wonderful books, so little time.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 32
Kenric,
I also have fond memories of Andre Norton (met a guy once in a book store who thought Andre was a man - was he surprised when I told him the truth). Andre Norton & Anne McCaffrey are probably my two all time favorite authors. Though Daniel Arenson is getting close - mainly because he writes about dragons.
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 32
No haven't the Kingkiller series but have read the synopsis of each on Amazon - sound interesting so I may add them to my "wish list of ebooks/books" (total right now is almost $500). I read Anne Bishop's Daughter of the Blood when they first came out. I also read her Tiralainn trilogy. I also enjoyed Joan Vinge's The Snow Queen. The bad thing about not going to book stores anymore, it is hard to discover new authors. Of course, these days most book stores don't carry many books.
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 32
John
I read the first three Dune books and really didn't like them. And I also saw the very poor rendition of Dune that the movie industry did a number of years ago. I haven't read the Mars trilogy as I prefer to go outside of our solar system where authors can use their imagination to come up with some great space operas.
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 32

I ave read most of the sci-fi authors, however I have the fondest memories of the first author I ever read...Andre Norten!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 32

In reading the comments, one name that I see missing from the greats is Frank Herbert.  Dune, IMHO, was one of the greatest sci-fi books ever written.  While the series over time got to be rather boring, the first three (Done, Children of Dune, and Dune Messiah) were beyond other worldly.  His son, Brian Herbert, has done a pretty good job of the pre-Dune series:  House Harkonen, House Atreides, and House Corrino.

A more current really good author, IMO, is Kim Stanley Robinson.  His Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Blue Mars, and Green Mars) is also, in the words of Mr. Spock:  "Fascinating!"

John

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 32

Have you tried Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller series? The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear

I'm waiting for the 3rd book to be published, or have a publication date, so I can re-read the first two books before the third arrives.  It has been so long since I read the last one that I've forgotten some of the plot.

Two more fantasy series that may be a bit too offbeat/dark for some readers:

J. Carey's Kushiel series  beginning with Kushiel's Dart

Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series Daughter of the Blood

Classic SF:

Joe Haldeman's The Forever War

Joan Vinge's  Tiamat series The Snow Queen  which initially looks like there are elements of fantasy, but are actually all SF with no elements of fantasy.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 32
Rockblossom,
I have read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series and read almost everything Mercedes Lackey has written especially if it pertains to Valdemar. Also enjoyed Robin Hobb. And I signed up for Bookbub some time ago (one of my new favorite authors told me about it).
Lindy Witz
Kudos
Views