From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Books for Baby Boomers

Message 1 of 6

Hello, My new memoir, THE LAST CADILLAC, may be of interest to you. It is definitely a book for boomers, and anyone in family crisis (there's alwyays one). From the publisher, Walrus, an imprint of Amphorae:

Life is crazy enough, but when

Nancy Nau Sullivan suddenly finds herself

raising two kids, grappling with her mother’s death,

and caring for her ailing father

while at the same time navigating a contentious

divorce and dealing with long-simmering sibling

rivalries, she wonders how she can keep herself

sane. Things get even more complicated when her

siblings accuse her of “kidnapping” their father

and carting him—and his Cadillac—off to Anna

Maria Island, Florida, where they are greeted by

Hurricane Josephine. In this gripping memoir,

Sullivan guides the reader through the chaotic

whirlwind of unexpected and unwanted change

and offers a common sense and humorous guide

to surviving family relationship.

You can go to Amazon and check out the reviews. I am passionate about the message here -- We don't sit down and talk about these issues with family members until it is too late. Talking is one thing, communicating is another. 

Enjoy, whatever you are reading. I have been reading Curtis Sittenfeld lately, American Wife and Eligible. The latter, an update of Pride and Prejudice, and the former, a loosely based adaptation of George and Laura Bush--which I found riveting, fascinating, and totally entertaining, believe it or not. 

All the best,

Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@aralyn wrote:

KID ME NOT, an anthology by child-free women of the '60s, now in their 60s.  This forward of this book is written by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of EAT, PRAY, LOVE.  The book has 130 reviews, average 4.5 stars out of 5 star is available on Amazon as a book ($11.54) and Kindle ($2.99).  This book is not against motherhood, just the telling of stories of women who did not chose that path.  The book won a Tx Authors Book Award in 2015.  If you want to relive the 60s, SEX, Drugs, Rock and Roll, then this is your book.  There are photos of the women in the 60s so the book is a must so you can see the photos that the Kindle does not have. 

Hi Aralyn. Are you that SAME Aralyn? Anyway, you sold me. Being a child-free woman in my 60s who chose that path with no regrets and no looking back, I had to get this. Just downloaded to my Kindle.

(I know. I'm bad. No photos for me. )

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

KID ME NOT, an anthology by child-free women of the '60s, now in their 60s.  This forward of this book is written by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of EAT, PRAY, LOVE.  The book has 130 reviews, average 4.5 stars out of 5 star is available on Amazon as a book ($11.54) and Kindle ($2.99).  This book is not against motherhood, just the telling of stories of women who did not chose that path.  The book won a Tx Authors Book Award in 2015.  If you want to relive the 60s, SEX, Drugs, Rock and Roll, then this is your book.  There are photos of the women in the 60s so the book is a must so you can see the photos that the Kindle does not have. 

@cris1949 wrote:

Hi, I'm a new member of this group and would like to ask the group for some recommendations.  I am forming a new book discussion group which will explore books with themes of transition appropriate to those of us who are retired or will soon retire.  There is a plethora of nonfiction books that fit but we are having difficulty locating some good fiction around these topics.  Can anyone recommend a book or direct me to a list of books like this? Thanks so much.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

A couple months late, but I thought I would weigh in with a couple of books on my TO-READ list.

1. Click for more info and review from KirkusStill Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen

They are about women embarking on new life adventures and stepping outside their comfortable boxes in their later years..

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hello from Susan Santangelo. I just ran across this post. If your book club continues to look for Baby Boomer fiction books, I'd like to suggest checking out my humorous Baby Boomer mystery series, which follow the lives of typical Boomers Carol and Jim Andrews as they navigate their way along life's rocky road toward their twilight years. With one dead body thrown in, just to make things more interesting! There are five titles so far -- Retirement Can Be Murder (2009), Moving Can Be Murder (2011), Marriage Can Be Murder (2012), Class Reunions Can Be Murder (2013), and the just-released Funerals Can Be Murder (October 7, 2014). All titles are available in e-book and traditional format. You can check them out on Amazon!  I'm now working on Book 6, Second Honeymoons Can Be Murder.   Hope you enjoy them! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Books for Baby Boomers

Message 6 of 6

Hi, I'm a new member of this group and would like to ask the group for some recommendations.  I am forming a new book discussion group which will explore books with themes of transition appropriate to those of us who are retired or will soon retire.  There is a plethora of nonfiction books that fit but we are having difficulty locating some good fiction around these topics.  Can anyone recommend a book or direct me to a list of books like this? Thanks so much.

Kudos
Views
Replies