Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led To Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Info Seeker +

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 21 of 26

hello,

Yes, I'm an author of non-fiction. I just finished my first book. Now I'm ;lookong for an editor and some help on doing my cover. Any suggestions?

cross roads
Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 22 of 26

None of the people I know who have self-published hav made more than a pitlance doing it that way. If a person is a good sales person, it might work.  If a person is willing to run all over the country, it might work.  But for most of us that is not realistic.

But then, going the other route hasn't been very productive for me either.  I've been writing for years.  I've only published two works.  I have an agent, but....  I write literary fiction with a lacing of fantasy and paranormal.

I'd really like to find other writers here to connect with.  On most writers' forums everyone is so very young and concerned about things I've outgrown.

I don't need anyone to help me write.  I don't need anyone to read for me.  I'm just looking for writing buddies. I am willing to help give suggestion and share the things I've learned with those who are seeking.

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 26
Hi Marti. I love that you started writing late as I started when I was 15 but didn't get serious until I was 58. I have 3 indie published so far. Would love to connect with another author as well, especially one that started later in life.
Conversationalist

Message 24 of 26

Actually, there is a lot of money to be made. Self publishing is not what it used to be. These days, "self" means you do it all, not that you pay someone to publish it. You write the book, pay for the cover art, the editor and the formatter, if you can't do it yourself. Amazon has a program called Kindle Direct Publishing that lets authors upload and set the price. Apple, Kobo and B&N have similar programs so my books are available worldwide. My ebooks sell for $4..99 and I make 70% on each sale. Traditional publisher don't pay anything near that much. 

Marketing is the hard part and probably why your friend was unsucessful. Maybe he/she should try again.

Marti Talbott, Author of clean romance suitable for ages 14 and up.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 26

Do authors actually make money, self-publishing books? I know one person who self-published, but the bottom line only fed his ego, not his wallet.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

Any other authors here?

Message 26 of 26

Greetings,

I am hoping to connect with other authors to share ideas, technical and marketing insights. I did not start writing until age 62 and now have 32 books published. Yep, self-published. These days' it's the only way to go. Anyway, I will be  happy to answer questions or just knock around new ideas.

Marti

Marti Talbott, Author of clean romance suitable for ages 14 and up.