Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led To Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 11 of 26
Hey, writing buddy, Good for you, finding an agent. How did you do that? I've just published a memoir with a small publishing house, and it has been a Bear getting the promotion off the ground. You are right about the cross-country business (my story takes place in Indiana and Florida) and turning oneself into a salesperson. No way around it. I'd rather be writing, but I need to get this book out there. The librarians have been wonderful, offering events solo or with other locals authors. I like the website Where Writers Win, among others. What have you published lately? I just joined a writers group at the local university, and they are all into fantasy and paranormal...I see a lot of these genre at conferences, too. Seems to be a very popular...good luck.
Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 12 of 26
Loved your post. And the idea for a blog....I had one for a year when I was in the Peace Corps in Mexico...2013. Not so long ago. It was a wonderful way to reach out and chronicle a year of great beginnings, new people and adventure. I just published a memoir and am thinking of doing another blog....you have jogged my thoughts. Alld the best, and Thanks.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 26
Do you have a Facebook page? That's a good place to start. I have a website, and it has given me nightmares. Especially as regards updating it. I had some wonderful help, so it is working out. I've also been dragged into the 21st century by a great young publicist who encouraged me to write a newsletter (more website connection and work). If I didn't view this as taking one step at a time, I'd go nuts. Good luck!
Info Seeker

Message 14 of 26

Hello!  My name is Sharon Valenti and my pen name is S.E. Valenti.  I went through Koehler Publishing and used Split-Seed (Amanda Rooker) for editing.  I though both were very reasonable and I really enoyed working with them!  Good luck!

S.E. Valenti
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 26

Hello! I, too, am a writer. However, being a tad bit technology challenged, I am not sure how to connect in this forum. 

KSJones
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 16 of 26

Hello Schlomo...new member here just catching up at 74, though I was a member for many years twenty years ago. Thanks for the blog site I will check it out...Do you blog every day? I have a site as well, http://www.welbythomascox.org where I share a chapter of one of my books each week. Currently blogging "Poor Children of Eve." You know, writing for me is like painting, I don't do it for the money, I do it for the satrisfaction of knowing my mind is still eager to learn and to share those thoughts with my six wonderful children, fifteen grands and to save a legacy for them of exactly who the "old guy" really was.  Because in the end the only reason for living is to matter, to count, to stand for something individually and to have it make some difference to our progeny that we have lived at all. So I urge all who write, as you apparently have done, to write, to publish and register at the LOC which provides a lasting trail filled with laughter; tears, photos, romance, children and grands to pass on in 2050 to those containing your DNA.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 17 of 26

Hello Marti...I recognize your name. I too have written and published many books, screenplays and plays for the theatre. I am currently working on my first audio book which is quite an experience. I agree with you on self-publishing and believe the technological revolution, through the introduction of eCommerce, will greatly displace the conventional publishing industry in the next twenty years. This I see as a good thing in as much as this industry is definitively a closed community. My books are on amazon and I write historical fiction for the most part loving doing the research and also work with the Superhighway of Poetry to share my devotion to that genre and have given away thousands of books through the annual venue for international sharing with other published poets. By the way I am in my 74th year and continue to work ten hours a day at my craft which also includes painting and going to school...love the freedom to expand the mind and live life to the end.

Conversationalist

Message 18 of 26

Did you find a good editor?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 26

I have not published and have no interest in publishing hundreds of pages of vignettes spanning most of my life. But I do have a blogging site: vignettesgalore.wordpress.com

And I share my observations with my many friends inside and outside of AARP.

schlomo
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 20 of 26

Here's a link to an article about book cover design.   http://www.ibuzzle.com/articles/book-cover-design-template.html  It can give you an informational start.

Finding someone to edit for you can be tricky.  No matter how professional they are, their views are subjective.  Some people go to writers' forums and find others there to help. Some people join local writers groups and the members edit for each other.  In those groups a lot of the people are opinionated and will tell you how you should rewrite your book, even though they are unskilled themselves.

As for editing this gal does editing for a fee.  I seem to have misplaced the link to her website, but here's the email address:.Rachel D Shiloh Farm <shilohsfarm@gmail.com>  She's the niece of a person I knew a long time ago.