Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 1 of 38

I am a retired Registered Nurse who spent more than 35 years working in various areas of Nursing. In 2005 at the age of 66 my 71 year old husband’s health was deteriorating and I had to retire to care for him 24 hours a day. During that time I questioned as to what I could still do as I also was getting older and at home all the time. The answer came to me rather quickly as I thought about what hobby I had enjoyed since I was 8 years old. It was writing. For years I had written poetry and stories just for fun, in school, in college and in my adult life for Nursing Journals. Eventually in 2000 when I was in my 60s I had actually written a devotional book called “I Thought There Was a Road There…..”. Several years later my husband passed away and I also began to have some health problems. I now could not do many physical activities at that point; however, I could still write and since then I have written and published another non-fiction book called “Separated Lives”. I would urge interested senior citizens to explore this opportunity. This was a Godsend to me as I explored and truly enjoyed this path.

Lynn Assimacopoulos

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Author of Memoir - NN Sullivan

Message 2 of 38

Hi, Thanks for asking. I wrote a memoir (The Last Cadillac) about the years I cared for Dad while the kids were still at home--altogether on an island in Florida. The point that I wanted to make, besides the obvious fact that no manual is written for such an adventure, is that this sort of thing can happen overnight. My mother didn't want to discuss the Big C, and, out of the blue, Dad announced his wishes to join us in Florida. How could I refuse Dad? I couldn't. I'm glad we went with it. It was a wonderful time of our lives (Disney and Ireland thrown in) but not without its "harrowing" (Dad's word) moments. I learned a lot about my family, and myself.,,, But, please, Everyone, have the talk with the family. Avoid miscommunication and confusion. It all happens so fast. All the best, Nancy Nau Sullivan

Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

My Surprise Family - advice about reviews?

Message 3 of 38

Marti,

Wow! 32 books. I recently uploaded my first: My Surprise Family: Find Your Ancestry Story. I did my DNA and found out the daddy who raised me wasn't my birth father. I was 73 years old. The book is a mystery story, a memoir, and an Ancestry.com handbook. Acquaintances and those who bought the book from me at a presentation are complimentary: parts made them laugh, other times they were brought to tears. But I want to know what strangers think--are the words themselves enough to bring my stories alive?

I'm sure some of the sales are to strangers--how can I get them to write about their impression of the book in Amazon's review section?

Margaret M. Nicholson

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

Hi Marti,

. Nice to meet you. I am 71. I tried writing when I was young, but my job and children took up a lot of time. I tried traditional publishers, but I had to wait a long time for their inevitable rejection. Let's face it I'm not a famous person and I'm not writing about a fascinating topic. Self publishing is the way to go for me. I love to read murder mysteries so I decided to try to write one. Now I have written and published 3.They are, of course, on Amazon. My fourth book is about the sport of curling. I;d like to share marketing tips with you, or anything else.

Susan henke Goslak

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38
Nice to meet you...I don't 'attend' this site often enough, I guess...every time I do, something else has changed and it takes me longer to 'get-with-it'. I've been writing short stories for several years and only recently tried 'self-publishing' and having stories printed by a local printer. I work part time and create painted art, so my spare time is pretty divided. However, writing has always been my first love.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

Soosie....I loved your message about "older" dating.  I'm 81 and a friend suggested to me to try one of the dating sights....keep in mind....I appear much younger than my age....I responded with.."I much prefer the old fashioned way of meeting people".   She thought I was being  difficult; I suggested she try first.  Of course she wanted no part of it.  Funny.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

My 4th book has just been published and released.  While the first 2 were aimed at educators and parents, the third was about kids who have made significant contributions to their communities, cities, country and the world.  Check out Young Enough to Change the World.  My most recent book is a memoir, written by me and two other men who made the same life altering decision that I made.

Image may contain: tree, outdoor, text and nature

... but few are chosen is now available at Amazon

What they’re saying about …but few are chosen

Compelling, plain-spoken account of growing up in 1950’s America. Haunting and beautifully-written.
--- William Klaber, author of The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell

Connolly, Olive, and Tuohey have taken the ancient theme of coming of age and given it new and unique life…The boys’ homes are so full of loss and dysfunction that they find the rigidly austere but ordered life of the seminary a welcome safety and comfort--though in this rarefied atmosphere they are also growing up, “lending ears to a siren song calling from the outside world.” The alternating narrators compliment each other and work as different lenses and mirrors through which the same story is seen. Richly detailed, at times deeply dramatic, and at times humorous or darkly ironic, this memoir is immensely readable, and will fascinate not only readers with a Catholic background but any who can identify with the elusive quest for self-esteem, respect, and the ability to forgive and move on in life—which is just about everybody. 
JamesTipton, PhD., author of Annette Vallon, A Novel 
of the French Revolution; SF Chronicle Bestseller

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

Just dropped by. Apparently authors moved on--to greener pastures? I used to frequent the AARP website, but when they updated it I got quite disoriented. I have to familiarize myself with it all over. I'm nonfiction writer wanjiruwarama.com snooping around for a community. Will check againthumbnail_20170816_193235 (1).jpgWanjiru Warama Social Media photo

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

@Marti............I am not an author, but do consider myself an amateur writer. I started writing as a little girl when I wrote plays and begged my little friends to act in them. As I grew older writing humor about the circumstances I grew up in became a coping device. I didn't realize this until I looked back, sorted things out and knew the humor helped me cope. I have written a book, but have not tried to publish even though I have been encouraged to do so. I am told it is self-help that would be read because it has so much humor. My method was to take a situation, file it under a heading and then pull it up when I could write the story. In a marketing class I was asked about my style. I identifed my style as a slightly red-neck Ermma Bombeck. Lately I have explored a couple of places to see if there is any interest in my stories on "Senior Citizen Dating." The stories are based on truth and I think they are funny. I would like to see if others do also.
I realize I have run this all together, but tried to save space.
Soosie

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38
I have always loved to write since I was 5 years old. One night my mother called me to come in and go to bed from playing outdoors. It was still light out and I was angry. The last thing she said to me was not to forget to say my prayers (the “Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep” one). Well I was really mad so I did not say that prayer. Instead I made up my own prayer which I still remember to this day. From then on I wrote a lot of poetry---about my friends, about dating and romance and other earthly happenings. In high school I became the editor of our high school paper. When it was time for college I wanted to go into Journalism; however it was known then that for women it was a hard career to get into and I was advised to choose a different occupation----like teaching, or secretarial or nursing. So I flipped open the college catalogue and it opened up to the Nursing Major. It was at that moment that I chose Nursing. Little did I know it was the perfect choice for me. While in Nursing school I wrote all kinds of things—some required by my courses but I also began to write articles for Nursing journals and became the editor of a Nursing Newsletter. And again I wrote poems about the college and nursing life. Then after being married and having children I wrote poetry about my family. I would always get the urge to write something. I had several types of jobs in Nursing and I loved every one of them. Then one day I noticed a small ad in the local newspaper about a position as a Nurse/Writer at a long term care company headquarters. I carried that ad around for a few days and wondered if I should apply. Something told me to---yes go and apply---it was like it was meant for me---being and nurse and writing also. I almost did not believe there was such a thing. So I did apply and thankfully was hired for what I called my “dream job”---both nursing and writing. It was the first time that particular company had ever hired someone for that type of position. I even ended up writing my own job description. I had that job for 15 years until I retired and loved every minute of it. I even missed it when I was on vacation! However, the best thing that happened is that I was enlisted as others were once in while, to give devotions each morning. I ended up doing that and one day after my devotion a co-worker said to me “You should write a book.” I laughed at that notion however that night I thought---well maybe I would try it even though I had never attempted that. So in 2000 I wrote my first book titled “I Thought There Was a Road There….and Other Lessons in Life From God”, a non-fiction collection of short stories and I gave the profits to the company. That got me hooked on writing once again and now in my retirement I wrote my second book---“Separated Lives” a true story about the search for a friends birthparents which was a fascinating and interesting journey. I cannot believe that God did not mean this for me. I may have had to wait some years for this to happen however, it finally did and it meant so much to me. I may not be a famous writer or a rich one---but I am a happy one that did what I always wanted to do—write!!!
Lynn Assimacopoulos

Kudos
Views