Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 1 of 45

Hello Ed and welcome.

Always good to hear there is another editor out there! I expect you will be getting some private messages about rates and schedules. Smiley Wink

I get enough stress and deadlines in my software life but to each there own.

Cutting is one of the things I hate. Had to do it with the current book to get it under 650 pages. More than that and it just wasn't feasable to use Barnes & Noble's new POD service. Had to go with full color interior because of all the pictures.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 45

Good morning to all-

Although I have published four books- both old-fashioned paper and print and ebooks, most of my work is done in the magazine field.

I am an outdoor writer- I tend to specialize in boating and fishing topics, and making money from selling books on fishing in particular is tough.  I guess it's just a very small market- people who love to fish and who can also read.

But I enjoy working with the few ourdoor magazines that are left;however, there aren't many.

I find that I enjoy the constant pressure of magazine writing deadlines and the fact that most magazine articles are 2000 words or less- forces me to cut and cut and prune what I write- which is almost always a great improvement.

I'm a retired english teacher, and I really do enjoy editing my work- and I've done a good bit of formal editing work on various magazines, too.

Good to meet all of you here.

Ed

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 45

@DoctorMichael wrote:

Did you find a good editor?

It has been my experience you need more than one. Editors are people. They have strengths and weaknesses. The guy I use for first round editing isn't strong enough for final editing but that's not his job. While he finds some of my horrific grammar mistakes his real task is identifying where the wheels come off the cart. Writing part time, around work, and not being fond of having to reread stuff I wrote (tending to read what I meant to write instead of what is there) I end up with some disconnects.

Once I'm all done with major content and technical editing (most of my books are computer books) I tend to go over to ServiceScape where I've managed to locate a couple of "grammar Nazis" for final editing.They really are phenom. Not cheap, but phenom.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 45

@AlysiaR758419 wrote:

I don't know if this is still an active conversation, I just joined AARP. I'd love to be included if there is any conversation of authors out here.

I'm published with 15 books both traditionally and indie. Lately, staying with indie. I like the fit for me better because I like to write what I want, which is clean romantic suspense, western historical romance, and young adult adventure with light romance. I write contemporary, historical, futuristic and fantasy, so I'm all over but it works for me.

I'd love to share ideas. I'm also awful at promotion. My author name is Alysia S Knight.

Hello Alysia,

I too just joined AARP. Went traditional publishing route with first books and been indie ever since. Over the past few years I teamed up with some other authors for a group Web site and blog. Occasionally it gets some good content. The sad reality when it comes to cooperative marketing is it quickly devolves into "Sell my book for me, I'm too busy having a life." When we got the blog going they were great guns. It lasted for about 3 posts. I still keep it going as best I can because I know from my own geek blog that article depth is what matters.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 45

>Do authors actually make money, self-publishing books?

Yes and no. When I wrote this book, I did a 9 pallet print run and sold the first pallet before the print run happened. At the time I was mostly living on the family farm and had already built an equipment shed so storage would cost me nothing. Have about 4 pallets left. Should have never let anyone talk me into creating an eBook and a POD version. I'm told by technical recruiters that title is heavily pirated in India now. I think I cleared/grossed about $80K the year following the books release. After that things trickled.

While I did join AARP, I'm still a traveling IT consultant. The Minimum You Need to Know book series has landed me contracts I would never have heard of otherwise. Just this past Friday I got an email out of the blue about an ACMS contract in Dover, NH starting in late August. I don't know who the client is but from what little the pimp has communicated they were directed to reach out to me. I don't yet know how much they were directed to pay though so the email exchange may have only fed my ego.

My later books didn't have the same level of direct sales income but the geek books all helped get me contracts. I really haven't had to interview for contracts over the past decade. Sadly it has kind of skewed my attitude. If some place wants me to interview I suddenly have very little interest in the contract.

We shall see how my upcoming title does.

"The Phallus of AGILE and Other Ruminations"

It's an IT management book and the anti-thesis to this criminal fraud known as AGILE currently sweeping the IT industry.

Btw, I do no business with Amazon. If you find something of mine for sale on Amazon it is most likely a pirated copy or a review copy someone is trying to sell as new. That is definitely the case if they are selling "signed by author" versions.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 45

Hi Marti,

I self-published my first novel, Adman Cowboy. It was the #1 item on my bucket list when I retired. Go to admancowboy.com for details. Ironically, even though my career was in advertising, marketing, and general management, I didn't have excitement over the marketing phase of this project beyond going after sales from the low hanging fruit of family, friends, and limited social media. I honestly wrote the novel for the love of writing a novel, something I had wanted to do since high school. I eventually returned to a focus on golf but have realized that you can actually play too often and there needs to be something more in life. So, I am starting a second push on the marketing of my novel. My budget is still pretty minimal. But any thoughts or guidance you can share would be appreciated. I am a long-time AARP member but visited this web site for the first time today and stumbled on this reader blog (correct word?) and am particularly interested in how to source others. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 45

Good morning to all-

I just found and joined this forum- wife and I are AARP members.

I guess I'm an author- of sorts.

I'm an outdoor writer- I work for several different outdoor oriented magazines- those that are still in business, and that's a shrinking group, let me tell you.

I have published four books- two the old fasioned paper and print way and two on different e-book formats. I haven't made much money with books- that's a damned hard market to get into and to make any money at.  The e-books seem to have more potential for income.

I've edited several different fishing and outdoor magazines. Editing can be fun in a punishing sort of way, but a finished edition was comes out lookng and reading nice is very pleasing.

I'm a retired English teacher- I did that for almost forty years, so proofreading and text correction comes naturally to me.

Anyway, it's good to meet you all-

Keep putting words on paper.

Ed

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 45

I am a retired Registered Nurse who spent more than 35 years working in various areas of Nursing. In 2005 at the age of 66 my 71 year old husband’s health was deteriorating and I had to retire to care for him 24 hours a day. During that time I questioned as to what I could still do as I also was getting older and at home all the time. The answer came to me rather quickly as I thought about what hobby I had enjoyed since I was 8 years old. It was writing. For years I had written poetry and stories just for fun, in school, in college and in my adult life for Nursing Journals. Eventually in 2000 when I was in my 60s I had actually written a devotional book called “I Thought There Was a Road There…..”. Several years later my husband passed away and I also began to have some health problems. I now could not do many physical activities at that point; however, I could still write and since then I have written and published another non-fiction book called “Separated Lives”. I would urge interested senior citizens to explore this opportunity. This was a Godsend to me as I explored and truly enjoyed this path.

Lynn Assimacopoulos

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Author of Memoir - NN Sullivan

Message 9 of 45

Hi, Thanks for asking. I wrote a memoir (The Last Cadillac) about the years I cared for Dad while the kids were still at home--altogether on an island in Florida. The point that I wanted to make, besides the obvious fact that no manual is written for such an adventure, is that this sort of thing can happen overnight. My mother didn't want to discuss the Big C, and, out of the blue, Dad announced his wishes to join us in Florida. How could I refuse Dad? I couldn't. I'm glad we went with it. It was a wonderful time of our lives (Disney and Ireland thrown in) but not without its "harrowing" (Dad's word) moments. I learned a lot about my family, and myself.,,, But, please, Everyone, have the talk with the family. Avoid miscommunication and confusion. It all happens so fast. All the best, Nancy Nau Sullivan

Nancy Nau Sullivan, Author, THE LAST CADILLAC: A MEMOIR
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

My Surprise Family - advice about reviews?

Message 10 of 45

Marti,

Wow! 32 books. I recently uploaded my first: My Surprise Family: Find Your Ancestry Story. I did my DNA and found out the daddy who raised me wasn't my birth father. I was 73 years old. The book is a mystery story, a memoir, and an Ancestry.com handbook. Acquaintances and those who bought the book from me at a presentation are complimentary: parts made them laugh, other times they were brought to tears. But I want to know what strangers think--are the words themselves enough to bring my stories alive?

I'm sure some of the sales are to strangers--how can I get them to write about their impression of the book in Amazon's review section?

Margaret M. Nicholson

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner
Top Authors