Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: Any other authors here?

Message 11 of 45

Hi Marti,

. Nice to meet you. I am 71. I tried writing when I was young, but my job and children took up a lot of time. I tried traditional publishers, but I had to wait a long time for their inevitable rejection. Let's face it I'm not a famous person and I'm not writing about a fascinating topic. Self publishing is the way to go for me. I love to read murder mysteries so I decided to try to write one. Now I have written and published 3.They are, of course, on Amazon. My fourth book is about the sport of curling. I;d like to share marketing tips with you, or anything else.

Susan henke Goslak

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45
Nice to meet you...I don't 'attend' this site often enough, I guess...every time I do, something else has changed and it takes me longer to 'get-with-it'. I've been writing short stories for several years and only recently tried 'self-publishing' and having stories printed by a local printer. I work part time and create painted art, so my spare time is pretty divided. However, writing has always been my first love.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

Soosie....I loved your message about "older" dating.  I'm 81 and a friend suggested to me to try one of the dating sights....keep in mind....I appear much younger than my age....I responded with.."I much prefer the old fashioned way of meeting people".   She thought I was being  difficult; I suggested she try first.  Of course she wanted no part of it.  Funny.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

My 4th book has just been published and released.  While the first 2 were aimed at educators and parents, the third was about kids who have made significant contributions to their communities, cities, country and the world.  Check out Young Enough to Change the World.  My most recent book is a memoir, written by me and two other men who made the same life altering decision that I made.

Image may contain: tree, outdoor, text and nature

... but few are chosen is now available at Amazon

What they’re saying about …but few are chosen

Compelling, plain-spoken account of growing up in 1950’s America. Haunting and beautifully-written.
--- William Klaber, author of The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell

Connolly, Olive, and Tuohey have taken the ancient theme of coming of age and given it new and unique life…The boys’ homes are so full of loss and dysfunction that they find the rigidly austere but ordered life of the seminary a welcome safety and comfort--though in this rarefied atmosphere they are also growing up, “lending ears to a siren song calling from the outside world.” The alternating narrators compliment each other and work as different lenses and mirrors through which the same story is seen. Richly detailed, at times deeply dramatic, and at times humorous or darkly ironic, this memoir is immensely readable, and will fascinate not only readers with a Catholic background but any who can identify with the elusive quest for self-esteem, respect, and the ability to forgive and move on in life—which is just about everybody. 
JamesTipton, PhD., author of Annette Vallon, A Novel 
of the French Revolution; SF Chronicle Bestseller

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

Just dropped by. Apparently authors moved on--to greener pastures? I used to frequent the AARP website, but when they updated it I got quite disoriented. I have to familiarize myself with it all over. I'm nonfiction writer wanjiruwarama.com snooping around for a community. Will check againthumbnail_20170816_193235 (1).jpgWanjiru Warama Social Media photo

Wanjiru Warama
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

@Marti............I am not an author, but do consider myself an amateur writer. I started writing as a little girl when I wrote plays and begged my little friends to act in them. As I grew older writing humor about the circumstances I grew up in became a coping device. I didn't realize this until I looked back, sorted things out and knew the humor helped me cope. I have written a book, but have not tried to publish even though I have been encouraged to do so. I am told it is self-help that would be read because it has so much humor. My method was to take a situation, file it under a heading and then pull it up when I could write the story. In a marketing class I was asked about my style. I identifed my style as a slightly red-neck Ermma Bombeck. Lately I have explored a couple of places to see if there is any interest in my stories on "Senior Citizen Dating." The stories are based on truth and I think they are funny. I would like to see if others do also.
I realize I have run this all together, but tried to save space.
Soosie

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45
I have always loved to write since I was 5 years old. One night my mother called me to come in and go to bed from playing outdoors. It was still light out and I was angry. The last thing she said to me was not to forget to say my prayers (the “Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep” one). Well I was really mad so I did not say that prayer. Instead I made up my own prayer which I still remember to this day. From then on I wrote a lot of poetry---about my friends, about dating and romance and other earthly happenings. In high school I became the editor of our high school paper. When it was time for college I wanted to go into Journalism; however it was known then that for women it was a hard career to get into and I was advised to choose a different occupation----like teaching, or secretarial or nursing. So I flipped open the college catalogue and it opened up to the Nursing Major. It was at that moment that I chose Nursing. Little did I know it was the perfect choice for me. While in Nursing school I wrote all kinds of things—some required by my courses but I also began to write articles for Nursing journals and became the editor of a Nursing Newsletter. And again I wrote poems about the college and nursing life. Then after being married and having children I wrote poetry about my family. I would always get the urge to write something. I had several types of jobs in Nursing and I loved every one of them. Then one day I noticed a small ad in the local newspaper about a position as a Nurse/Writer at a long term care company headquarters. I carried that ad around for a few days and wondered if I should apply. Something told me to---yes go and apply---it was like it was meant for me---being and nurse and writing also. I almost did not believe there was such a thing. So I did apply and thankfully was hired for what I called my “dream job”---both nursing and writing. It was the first time that particular company had ever hired someone for that type of position. I even ended up writing my own job description. I had that job for 15 years until I retired and loved every minute of it. I even missed it when I was on vacation! However, the best thing that happened is that I was enlisted as others were once in while, to give devotions each morning. I ended up doing that and one day after my devotion a co-worker said to me “You should write a book.” I laughed at that notion however that night I thought---well maybe I would try it even though I had never attempted that. So in 2000 I wrote my first book titled “I Thought There Was a Road There….and Other Lessons in Life From God”, a non-fiction collection of short stories and I gave the profits to the company. That got me hooked on writing once again and now in my retirement I wrote my second book---“Separated Lives” a true story about the search for a friends birthparents which was a fascinating and interesting journey. I cannot believe that God did not mean this for me. I may have had to wait some years for this to happen however, it finally did and it meant so much to me. I may not be a famous writer or a rich one---but I am a happy one that did what I always wanted to do—write!!!
Lynn Assimacopoulos

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

Hello and yes I love writing even though by trade I am a Nurse (retired at present).  And this is my story:  

I have always loved to write since I was 5 years old.  One night my mother called me to come in and go to bed from playing outdoors.  It was still light out and I was angry.  The last thing she said to me was not to forget to say my prayers (the “Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep”one). Well I was really mad so I did not say that prayer.  Instead I made up my own prayer which I still remember to this day.  From then on I wrote a lot of poetry---about my friends, about dating and romance and other earthly happenings.  In high school I became the editor of our high school paper. When it was time for college I wanted to go into Journalism; however it was known then that for women it was a hard career to get into and I was advised to choose a different occupation----like teaching, or secretarial or nursing.  So I flipped open the college catalogue and it opened up to the Nursing Major.  It was at that moment that I chose Nursing. Little did I know it was the perfect choice for me. While in Nursing school I wrote all kinds of things—some required by my courses but I also began to write articles for Nursing journals and became the editor of a Nursing Newsletter. And again I wrote poems about the college and nursing life. Then after being married and having children I wrote poetry about my family.  I would always get the urge to write something. I had several types of jobs in Nursing and I loved every one of them.  Then one day I noticed a small ad in the local newspaper about a position as a Nurse/Writer at a long term care company headquarters. I carried that ad around for a few days and wondered if I should apply. Something told me to---yes go and apply---it was like it was meant for me---being and nurse and writing also.  I almost did not believe there was such a thing. So I did apply and thankfully was hired for what I called my “dream job”---both nursing and writing.  It was the first time that particular company had ever hired someone for that type of position.  I even ended up writing my own job description. I had that job for 15 years until I retired and loved every minute of it.  I even missed it when I was on vacation! However, the best thing that happened is that I was enlisted as others were once in while, to give devotions each morning. I ended up doing that and one day after my devotion a co-worker said to me “You should write a book.”  I laughed at that notion however that night I thought---well maybe I would try it even though I had never attempted that. So in 2000 I wrote my first book titled “I Thought There Was aRoad There….and Other Lessons in Life  From God”,a non-fiction collection of short stories and I gave the profits to the company.  That got me hooked on writing once again and now in my retirement I wrote my second book---“Separated Lives” a true story about the search for a friends birthparents which was a fascinating and interesting journey. I cannot believe that God did not mean this for me.  I may have had to wait some years for this to happen however, it finally did and it meant so much to me. I may not be a famous writer or a rich one---but I am a happy one that did what I always wanted to do—write!!!

Lynn Assimacopoulos

Following is information about my current book:

SEPARATED LIVES, a new book by Lynn Assimacopoulos 

A REAL LIFE DETECTIVE STORY BEGINS WHEN THE AUTHOR STARTS HELPING HER SONS FRIEND FIND HIS BIRTHPARENTS

After discovering my son’s friend Ryan, is searching for his birthparents, I consent to help, however cannot promise success. Using my adventures in genealogy, I delve through phone books, write letters and search everything from the local library to the National Archives in Washington, D. C. Feeling somewhat defeated by the lack of information to go on, suddenly a random search on an internet search engine for Ryan’s birthmother’s name yields a surprising photograph of a possible family. Could this be the first of several leads in this journey?

I am a retired Registered Nurse who has been writing since I was eight years old. I have written for professional Nursing journals and continue to write poetry and short stories. My book is a mysterious true story about beginning a fascinating but uncertain and sometimes tearful journey with unexpected twists and turns in many directions. Readers’ comments about my book have been that it is “highly engaging”, “an emotional roller coaster” and “reads like a private diary” as well as it “captures the reader.”

It is available from the following:

Dorrance Publishing, Inc. (in Pittsburgh, PA)

Barnes & Noble 

Amazon                                 

(ISBN: 978-1-4809-1247-2)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

I don't know if this is still an active conversation, I just joined AARP. I'd love to be included if there is any conversation of authors out here.

I'm published with 15 books both traditionally and indie. Lately, staying with indie. I like the fit for me better because I like to write what I want, which is clean romantic suspense, western historical romance, and young adult adventure with light romance. I write contemporary, historical, futuristic and fantasy, so I'm all over but it works for me.

I'd love to share ideas. I'm also awful at promotion. My author name is Alysia S Knight.

Author
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

I guess I am not clever enough to know how to cancel this reply.

Kudos
Views