From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: And Baby Makes

Message 1 of 7
In Response to post:

Oh My Goodness, another heart-wrenching episode!   Girl, you are in one heck of a pickle with a baby and all those house guests!  Now that IS a big deal!

What next?  I'm biting my lip and shaking my head in anticipation for another compelling episode.  This is memoir, right?   I like the present tense as well.  Good job. 

Yes, this is memoir. I have written it and re-written it but now I believe this is my voice. There is much more to come. Thank you all for listening.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7
In Response to And Baby Makes:

I’m a civilian and moving to Missouri to work for a recently discharged doctor I know. Bill is still on active duty and drives home every Friday afternoon. What do we do? Find a bar of course.

Bill retired after twenty years and moved home but can't find work. He says he’s "over qualified" for everything so he sits at a bar day after day.

It’s one A. M. when the phone wakes me. It’s a state trooper. Bill’s been arrested for DUI. He was driving east in the west bound lane of the interstate. They want me to pick up his car. I do. When he calls me from jail at three A. M. I have no sympathy and leave him there.

Can’t I catch a break?! The doctor I’m working for is having an affair and wants me to train her for the office. I know his wife and babysit his children. I can’t do this. I quit.

It’s the Christmas season and we’re moving. A heart wrenching yardsale and my things are gone. One pickup truck load and we’re on our way to Mom’s.

San Diego is warm and sunny. We’re living with Mom in a two bedroom apartment. It’s cramped and uncomfortable.

Bill and I rented a four bedroom house just outside the front gate to NAS Miramar today. Mom’s moving in with us. Bill now works in a well-paying job at Sony Corporation just north of the house and I’m in the Navy reserves. Bill still drinks a lot and goes out with his boss too much.

As I begin my two weeks active duty training in an EMT course I realize I’m pregnant. I know because I can't zip my slacks. No one believes me. But I am.

Bobbi is settling in with us. She graduated from high school this year and I sent her a round trip ticket for graduation. She staying here. She works at Sony, too. We go roller skating every weekend until the manager realizes I’m pregnant. He won't let me skate there anymore.

My baby is due today and we’re moving into a three bedroom condo just north of where we were. Mom is getting her own apartment thankfully. She’s a slob. No wonder she and Dad divorced. I’m carrying box after box on my rather large abdomen and no labor pain.

It’s 5 a.m. on December 2 and I’m having contractions. We got up and I had coffee and doughnuts before loading up and going to the hospital. Bobbi wants to go with me. "Go to work." It’s not a big deal.

As soon as I’m checked in the nurse examines me. I’m eight centimeters and I’m rushed into the delivery room. Bill is encouraged to put on scrubs and come with me. "No. He’s not going," I say. I’m fine. It’s not a big deal. I have two contractions and my daughter is born. She’s bathed in warm water, dried and placed naked on my bare chest. Her hair is long and her fingernails are curling around her little fingertips. She has the prettiest blue eyes and the longest dark eye lashes. She is beautiful! Now that is a big deal!

My joy is short lived. I’m unable to show any emotion in front of anyone. Taking care of my newborn is like a technical enterprise. Feed. Change. Bathe. Bill and I never talk about Kari's birth. We never talk about how pretty she is or whether she looks like him or me. We don’t go "baby shopping" or even talk about frilly little girl things. It’s no big deal.

We take our two week old to Texas to meet her grandfather. He’s lives in a shanty with Mary, her four kids and Kathy. It’s so terribly bone-chilling cold I want to leave after one night.

It’s been just two months and now Dad, Mary, Curtis, Eddie, Dennis, Betty Jean and Kathy live with me. It’s horrible!

© BertaD

Yes, I feel like I'm right there with you too. Your use of present tense, makes it feel immediate....I want to know now!!  Keep writing, I want to know what happens next!! Good job!!

Kudos
Views
MJ
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

I’m a civilian and moving to Missouri to work for a recently discharged doctor I know. Bill is still on active duty and drives home every Friday afternoon. What do we do? Find a bar of course.

Bill retired after twenty years and moved home but can't find work. He says he’s "over qualified" for everything so he sits at a bar day after day.

It’s one A. M. when the phone wakes me. It’s a state trooper. Bill’s been arrested for DUI. He was driving east in the west bound lane of the interstate. They want me to pick up his car. I do. When he calls me from jail at three A. M. I have no sympathy and leave him there.

Can’t I catch a break?! The doctor I’m working for is having an affair and wants me to train her for the office. I know his wife and babysit his children. I can’t do this. I quit.

It’s the Christmas season and we’re moving. A heart wrenching yardsale and my things are gone. One pickup truck load and we’re on our way to Mom’s.

San Diego is warm and sunny. We’re living with Mom in a two bedroom apartment. It’s cramped and uncomfortable.

Bill and I rented a four bedroom house just outside the front gate to NAS Miramar today. Mom’s moving in with us. Bill now works in a well-paying job at Sony Corporation just north of the house and I’m in the Navy reserves. Bill still drinks a lot and goes out with his boss too much.

As I begin my two weeks active duty training in an EMT course I realize I’m pregnant. I know because I can't zip my slacks. No one believes me. But I am.

Bobbi is settling in with us. She graduated from high school this year and I sent her a round trip ticket for graduation. She staying here. She works at Sony, too. We go roller skating every weekend until the manager realizes I’m pregnant. He won't let me skate there anymore.

My baby is due today and we’re moving into a three bedroom condo just north of where we were. Mom is getting her own apartment thankfully. She’s a slob. No wonder she and Dad divorced. I’m carrying box after box on my rather large abdomen and no labor pain.

It’s 5 a.m. on December 2 and I’m having contractions. We got up and I had coffee and doughnuts before loading up and going to the hospital. Bobbi wants to go with me. "Go to work." It’s not a big deal.

As soon as I’m checked in the nurse examines me. I’m eight centimeters and I’m rushed into the delivery room. Bill is encouraged to put on scrubs and come with me. "No. He’s not going," I say. I’m fine. It’s not a big deal. I have two contractions and my daughter is born. She’s bathed in warm water, dried and placed naked on my bare chest. Her hair is long and her fingernails are curling around her little fingertips. She has the prettiest blue eyes and the longest dark eye lashes. She is beautiful! Now that is a big deal!

My joy is short lived. I’m unable to show any emotion in front of anyone. Taking care of my newborn is like a technical enterprise. Feed. Change. Bathe. Bill and I never talk about Kari's birth. We never talk about how pretty she is or whether she looks like him or me. We don’t go "baby shopping" or even talk about frilly little girl things. It’s no big deal.

We take our two week old to Texas to meet her grandfather. He’s lives in a shanty with Mary, her four kids and Kathy. It’s so terribly bone-chilling cold I want to leave after one night.

It’s been just two months and now Dad, Mary, Curtis, Eddie, Dennis, Betty Jean and Kathy live with me. It’s horrible!

© BertaD

Oh My Goodness, another heart-wrenching episode!   Girl, you are in one heck of a pickle with a baby and all those house guests!  Now that IS a big deal!

What next?  I'm biting my lip and shaking my head in anticipation for another compelling episode.  This is memoir, right?   I like the present tense as well.  Good job. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

© BertaD

Thank you for writing your story, I agree with Betsy, I love the way you write with us right there with you.  It is a powerful style and is perfect for the story you  have to tell.  Your Friend with love and hugs....RaeDi

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

© BertaD

Wow--that's a powerful installment. I like your use of present tense all the way thru--it keeps the situation more immediate--like the reader is living thru it with you.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

And Baby Makes

Message 6 of 7

© BertaD

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

And Baby Makes

Message 6 of 7

© BertaD

Kudos
Views
Replies