Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AN OPENING AND A CLOSING

Message 1 of 3
My paternal grandfather died on the day I was born, and it was rarely mentioned in our family. I never thought to ask my father how he felt each year when my birth date occured, reminding him of the loss of his father. Your sharing of your experience with the high of a new grandchild and the low of the loss of your mother-in-law is much appreciated by me. Thank you.
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AN OPENING AND A CLOSING

Message 2 of 3

Indeed, your thoughts here should give us all pause as these scenes of life and death play through each and every day.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

AN OPENING AND A CLOSING

Message 3 of 3

An Opening and a Closing

On Friday, September 9, 2011, at 5:30 a.m., my eighth grandchild was born. On Friday, September 16, 2011, at 5:30 a.m., my 90-year-old mother-in- law passed away. I witnessed and will never forget this jarring juxtaposition: exactly a week apart, one life enters, and another life departs: from Pitocin (to induce labor) to morphine drops (to alleviate the labor of dying), from the baby rattle to the death rattle.

schlomo
Kudos
Views
Replies