Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: 1987: The Great Ice Storm

Message 1 of 11
In Response to 1987: The Great Ice Storm:

Do you remember the great ice storm and blizzard  that hit western New England and upstate New York on October 4th,, 1987?

I had a nice cabin on a hillside in the Berkshires, back then, with my 11-year-old daughter. I’ll be posting some reminiscence here.

The storm started out as an Autumn rain storm on a Sunday afternoon. Then a cold front moved through so quickly that the temperature dropped 20 degrees within less than an hour, and the rain turned to heavy wet snow. The oaks and maples were still green and none of the other trees had dropped their leaves yet, so the snow weighed heavy one the branches. The sap started to freeze and expand in the trunks. 

Branches fell across wires and trees began to explode like bombs.  By late Sunday afternoon the explosions were up to one every four minutes in the wooded hillside where I lived.

I can furnish you with an additional detail about that storm.  My friend Marj had recently purchased a house on Plum Island, Massachusetts.  This is located just a bit south of Maine.  It was the first house she'd ever purchased; she paid cash.  The house was in the definite "fixer upper" category.  She had not started the fixing part.  When the storm came, snow came through one of her walls.  When the snow stopped she started shoveling out her little VW.  After she freed the car, she rambled off to Newburyport to the local coffe shop and newspaper place.  She told me that the counter area was filled with older women gripping their hot coffee cups.  Everyone looked a tad bit exhausted.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11
In Response to post:

No, but I am still living through the nightmares  of  hurricane Ike. I was without power and water  for a week and my roof is till without shingles.

It is awful right now, and rebuilding or relocating is not easy. My heart goes out to you. I was glad I relocated after Rita nearly took me out.

Memoirs are the threads that enable our children and grandchildren to get strength from knowing how we survived storms. We can't always be there for them, but our memoirs, once recorded, will be.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11
In Response to post:

I live in Connecticut and remember the ice storm well.  We had the same situation although I don't think I would have written about it so eloquently.  It took us forever it seemed to clean up all the trees and get the power back on.

It reminds me of the ice storm in the early 60's on Lookout Mountain, Tennessee.  Lookout Mountain is in three states  - Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee, but it is always called Lookout Mtn Tennessee.  We lived on the Georgia side. I lived there from when I was in the fourth grade until I went to college.  At any rate the mountain is covered in trees and boulders. It is truly a spectacularly beautiful place and is a favorite place for many travelers.

It was the middle of March, which should mean there that winter is over.  It started as rain and then quickly the temperature dropped and the ice started forming on the branches of the trees and on the bushes and even the ivy that covered a great deal of our house.  The rain stopped after covering everything in ice including the street.  We had no power, but the water stayed on.  We had a gas furnace and it could be run for 10 min out of every hour, which didn't help much and I still don't really understand why my father put so much effort into it, unless it kept the pipes from freezing.  Many of my friends went the 3 1/2 miles down the mountain (you could travel if you had chains on your tires and were really careful) and stayed in hotels until the power came on and my mother and I went for one night and then she insisted we go back up there to be with my father.  My brother was away at school.

When we drove back the sun was shining and the tree limbs sparkeled like diamonds.  Everything was white.  We pass a large water fall on the way up and it was frozen in place.  We had to get out and take a picture of it.  A picture could never do justice to how the water fall and surrounding area looked while they were totally still.  When we got home it was as if we lived in a winter wonderland.  Everything glistened.  Nothing moved but us.  There was ice on the crocus and daffodil blossums.  It is hard to imagine how surreal it all was.

Once inside my father had gotten a big black iron cauldron and put it on an iron arm that swung in and out of the fireplace.  There was a fire blazing  and stew was cooking over the fire.  It was still cold but we sat in front of the fire and ate our stew.  Then we talked about all sorts of things before we all bedded down in the family room sleeping in our clothes and sleeping bags.  I will never forget it.  There was a tree that had fallen on the corner of our house, there were trees all over the ground, there was a freezer full of defrosting food, but what I remember most is how nice it was to sit around that fire, eat stew, and talk.

Marti

Martibowen, your picture is marvelous. As you warmed up to the memory, all the images came out strong! I could almost hear the crackling of the fire around that big pot, and feel the sharp cold outside of the cozy warm coats and quilts!

Whenever it was very cold at night, my mother took coats out of the closet and put them under our blankets because the shoulders of those old wool coats stood up, making a warm tent around us.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Do you remember the great ice storm and blizzard  that hit western New England and upstate New York on October 4th,, 1987?

I had a nice cabin on a hillside in the Berkshires, back then, with my 11-year-old daughter. I’ll be posting some reminiscence here.

The storm started out as an Autumn rain storm on a Sunday afternoon. Then a cold front moved through so quickly that the temperature dropped 20 degrees within less than an hour, and the rain turned to heavy wet snow. The oaks and maples were still green and none of the other trees had dropped their leaves yet, so the snow weighed heavy one the branches. The sap started to freeze and expand in the trunks. 

Branches fell across wires and trees began to explode like bombs.  By late Sunday afternoon the explosions were up to one every four minutes in the wooded hillside where I lived.

No, but I am still living through the nightmares  of  hurricane Ike. I was without power and water  for a week and my roof is till without shingles.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

I live in Connecticut and remember the ice storm well.  We had the same situation although I don't think I would have written about it so eloquently.  It took us forever it seemed to clean up all the trees and get the power back on.

It reminds me of the ice storm in the early 60's on Lookout Mountain, Tennessee.  Lookout Mountain is in three states  - Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee, but it is always called Lookout Mtn Tennessee.  We lived on the Georgia side. I lived there from when I was in the fourth grade until I went to college.  At any rate the mountain is covered in trees and boulders. It is truly a spectacularly beautiful place and is a favorite place for many travelers.

It was the middle of March, which should mean there that winter is over.  It started as rain and then quickly the temperature dropped and the ice started forming on the branches of the trees and on the bushes and even the ivy that covered a great deal of our house.  The rain stopped after covering everything in ice including the street.  We had no power, but the water stayed on.  We had a gas furnace and it could be run for 10 min out of every hour, which didn't help much and I still don't really understand why my father put so much effort into it, unless it kept the pipes from freezing.  Many of my friends went the 3 1/2 miles down the mountain (you could travel if you had chains on your tires and were really careful) and stayed in hotels until the power came on and my mother and I went for one night and then she insisted we go back up there to be with my father.  My brother was away at school.

When we drove back the sun was shining and the tree limbs sparkeled like diamonds.  Everything was white.  We pass a large water fall on the way up and it was frozen in place.  We had to get out and take a picture of it.  A picture could never do justice to how the water fall and surrounding area looked while they were totally still.  When we got home it was as if we lived in a winter wonderland.  Everything glistened.  Nothing moved but us.  There was ice on the crocus and daffodil blossums.  It is hard to imagine how surreal it all was.

Once inside my father had gotten a big black iron cauldron and put it on an iron arm that swung in and out of the fireplace.  There was a fire blazing  and stew was cooking over the fire.  It was still cold but we sat in front of the fire and ate our stew.  Then we talked about all sorts of things before we all bedded down in the family room sleeping in our clothes and sleeping bags.  I will never forget it.  There was a tree that had fallen on the corner of our house, there were trees all over the ground, there was a freezer full of defrosting food, but what I remember most is how nice it was to sit around that fire, eat stew, and talk.

Marti

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

Some references:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEFDB143AF936A35753C1A961948260&sec=&spon=&pagewan...

http://rogerowengreen.blogspot.com/2007/10/snowstorm-of-october-4-1987.html

http://timesunion.com/specialreports/tu150/stories/weather.asp

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

I live on the West Coast so I don't remember this.  Don't even remember hearing about it in the news.  I look forward to reading more about this.  Are you going to post this in 'blogspot' too?  I go to 'livejournal.com'.  I'll check 'blogspot' out.  Thanks for the tip, Agave.

I've been having trouble all weekend reading comments made at my journal here, so I know what you mean by tech problems.  Having better luck with my firefox browser that with internet explorer.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Love the topic and can't wait to hear more!

Carolina 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

I really enjoyed this very descriptive, eye-popping tale about the horrific icestorm.  I always gravitated to stories of harsh conditions (think Robert Service and his ballads about the Yukon/Alaska). 

Can we look forward to more of this story?

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

1987: The Great Ice Storm

Message 10 of 11

Kudos
Views