Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Starting over and pursue lifelong interests.

Starting over and pursue lifelong interests.

I'm asking for help and hints.  Recently I was informed by my supervisor that I am no longer promotable because I won't commit to long term employment with future advancement.  I'm 67 and know that to commitment would be ridiculous.  I also know the position (for which I am very well qualified) would be much easier that the position I'm in now.  I am a manager where I'm employed at but as past of my job I do tremendous heavy lifting and know I can't do it much longer.  I lift heavier boxes, etc. than most of my younger staff but at my age and being a woman who weighs 106 lbs, my body can't take too much more of this.  Instead of looking at the situation and getting really upset I started to think about many things I want and have wanted to do with my life.  After a couple of days I realized how freeing the rejection has been.  It's a blessing in disquise. 

One of my life long dreams has been to be a writer.  I've been published in some minor ways and will start to seek out opportunities.  I've always wanted to be a journalist.  I realize that the world has changed from the day I first entered college and was told not to go into the field unless I wanted to write the womens' society page and do obits. 

Thankfully the world is different and the opportunies are greater.  I also have to supplement my SS.  I'm asking for comments from others who have experienced the same things or is now turning to writing to supplement their income, to share their thoughts.  Even if you don't share my desires please feel free to share your wisdom and thoughts.  I'd love to hear from others and have learned to appreciate the value in everyone.  I truly believe that we, as humans, each have wisdom to share.  Thank you!
0 Kudos

The most important thing is to stay busy.  If you find someplace you are needed even if on a volunteer level, you may
find something new and profitable.  I started with RSVP.  They have many volunteer situations and you will meet new
people besides being a help to society.
0 Kudos

In Response to Starting over and pursue lifelong interests.:
I'm asking for help and hints.  Recently I was informed by my supervisor that I am no longer promotable because I won't commit to long term employment with future advancement.  I'm 67 and know that to commitment would be ridiculous.  I also know the position (for which I am very well qualified) would be much easier that the position I'm in now.  I am a manager where I'm employed at but as past of my job I do tremendous heavy lifting and know I can't do it much longer.  I lift heavier boxes, etc. than most of my younger staff but at my age and being a woman who weighs 106 lbs, my body can't take too much more of this.  Instead of looking at the situation and getting really upset I started to think about many things I want and have wanted to do with my life.  After a couple of days I realized how freeing the rejection has been.  It's a blessing in disquise.  One of my life long dreams has been to be a writer.  I've been published in some minor ways and will start to seek out opportunities.  I've always wanted to be a journalist.  I realize that the world has changed from the day I first entered college and was told not to go into the field unless I wanted to write the womens' society page and do obits.  Thankfully the world is different and the opportunies are greater.  I also have to supplement my SS.  I'm asking for comments from others who have experienced the same things or is now turning to writing to supplement their income, to share their thoughts.  Even if you don't share my desires please feel free to share your wisdom and thoughts.  I'd love to hear from others and have learned to appreciate the value in everyone.  I truly believe that we, as humans, each have wisdom to share.  Thank you!
Posted by CarolJean89

0 Kudos

I'm asking for help and hints.  Recently I was informed by my supervisor that I am no longer promotable because I won't commit to long term employment with future advancement.  I'm 67 and know that to commitment would be ridiculous.  I also know the position (for which I am very well qualified) would be much easier that the position I'm in now.  I am a manager where I'm employed at but as past of my job I do tremendous heavy lifting and know I can't do it much longer.  I lift heavier boxes, etc. than most of my younger staff but at my age and being a woman who weighs 106 lbs, my body can't take too much more of this.  Instead of looking at the situation and getting really upset I started to think about many things I want and have wanted to do with my life.  After a couple of days I realized how freeing the rejection has been.  It's a blessing in disquise. 

One of my life long dreams has been to be a writer.  I've been published in some minor ways and will start to seek out opportunities.  I've always wanted to be a journalist.  I realize that the world has changed from the day I first entered college and was told not to go into the field unless I wanted to write the womens' society page and do obits. 

Thankfully the world is different and the opportunies are greater.  I also have to supplement my SS.  I'm asking for comments from others who have experienced the same things or is now turning to writing to supplement their income, to share their thoughts.  Even if you don't share my desires please feel free to share your wisdom and thoughts.  I'd love to hear from others and have learned to appreciate the value in everyone.  I truly believe that we, as humans, each have wisdom to share.  Thank you!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP