Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

work after retirement - as a freelance writer

Periodic Contributor

work after retirement - as a freelance writer

Hi everyone, I'm about to chuck my 'day job' (at age 65, almost 66) and try to make a decent income with freelance writing, which I've been doing in spare time for over 10 years with minimal pay but great enjoyment. Hoping to make some contacts through just putting myself out there in the wide world of AARP, also have a NAIWE site where I'm going to post some of my published work. 

Hi, my name is William E. Lewis and am interested iin n the Freelance Writing.

My credential are as follows:

Wrote 7 books

MS, Operations Reserch

BA, Mathematics

Retired from IBM & Ernst & Young

Super Contributor

Good morning to all-

I have been a freelance writer for the past 20 years- part-time before I retired from a public school teaching gig- and now more or less full-time.  It's hard to put an accuate estimate of part-time/full-time on writing- it ain't that kind of job.

Anyway, for anyone who is considering free-lancing for a paycheck, here are a few things I've learned.

1. Make sure you have a very specific field of knowledge and experience.  You don't have to know everything, just enough to know when help is needed.

2. Have a stable of experts in your field who will be willing to provide information.

3. Get in touch with an editor of the publication you are interested in writing for and talk with her/him. Find out what word count, what format, what due dates, what kind/how many photos are needed for the particular publication. Each magazine is different, and each will have specific requirements.

4. Get an assignment and do it well and get it in on time!  If you solve a problem for the editor, you will get more work.

5. Don't expect to get rich. It probably won't happen.

My particular areas of writing just happen to be rural living, outdoor sports- fishing and boating, and education, but I've done work on other topics as well.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Ed

Hello- Thatโ€™s awesome! Iโ€™m interested in learning more about the path that you are pursuing. I have dabbled in writing over the years for my own enjoyment,and started writing a book as well. The one problem was that I didnโ€™t have direction,or know what to do once I had my story. Can you give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate that!         Carrie

Periodic Contributor

Hi Carrie,

I've tried a couple of times to post something here but am having the devil of a time getting to and from this page.  Might have something to do with my technophobia . . .

Anyhow, I'm maybe not the right person to offer advice on freelancing, but you might want to contact:

naiwe.com (the National Association of Independent Writers and Editors) - they've got a good thing going and I'm just getting started with the website they provide (for about $99/year)

also try the freelance writer's den - just search for writer's den & Carol Tyce - that'll get you to the site. Lots of helpful info and you can join or just kind of sideline, but very helpful.

Good luck, and I'll try to get back here with any other suggestions.  My worst enemy is that technophbia, which means I don't play well with gadgets!  (computers are gadgets, y'know)

Best of luck

Jeannie

Periodic Contributor

I spelled Tice wrong! So sorry, don't know how that happened. Just now saw it! It's Carol Tice not Tyce!
Jeannie
Contributor

Currently am a published poet.
Honored Social Butterfly

@jm61545310  Welcome to the online community. Best wishes with this transition.  As you know, your work is your best advertisement, so kudos on the online tear sheet. ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Periodic Contributor

Thank you!  That was a very kind (and timely!) encouragement. Onward, pilgrims . . .

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP