Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: going to grad school after age 50

Message 21 of 34

I am 58. I may go to law school next fall. My interest lie in inner city community improvement. I see a law degree as a helpful tool in improving circumstances. I am going to attend live classes. I dred taking the LSAT.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 34

I completed a bachelor degree online in March 2015 when I was still 60 years old. It took me 3 years attending classes online part-time and I accumulated $26,000 of student loan debt. But I actually enjoyed going to school and I was able to graduate summa cumme laude. When attending classes online there is still some student interaction. I believe it was a history class when I posted an answer to a question that I remembered when it happened because I was around and several students commented that it was nice to have someone in the class that was around at that time and could relate from their personal experiences. Now at 61 I have been thinking about an starting a Masters Program but I don't want the extra debt.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 34
I received my doctorate at age 58. I have connections with all generations. It was a lot of hard work, very worthwhile, and inspirational. Do not let age be a barrier. I have reimagined myself in yet another career at age 63. Like Nike, just do it!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 34
I also was in IT until I was forced to retire in 2007. I was a consultant for another couple of years and moved to Florida. I floundered around for a couple of years until a friend suggested I go into education (since I had a math degree). Since then I got my temporary teaching certificate and went back to an alternative certification program. I am now in my third year of teaching high school math, have my permanent certificate. I have school loans which I am in the third year of a 10 year public service forgiveness program. It was a good decision for me and I feel like I am truly making a difference in my students lives. Education doesn't look down on seniors, they actually embrace them!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 34

At this time I am not looking at grad school, but will be graduating in May with my Bacholors Degree in Health Care Managment. The school where I am a student is National American University in South Dekota. I am an on line student and really have enjoyed the on line experience and have had a wonderful staff to work with. I do know that they have a Graduate Program and would highly recommend this school.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 34

That depends, if you are going to grad school because you enjoy learning and can afford it. Grad school can be a lot of fun, it is challenging and keeps the mind alive with new information. However, if you are not yet financially stable and are thinking about changing careers, think again. I went to grad school, got a masters in nursing science, I enjoyed the education but as far as jobs go it is not worth it. I ended up with a large student debt and am back in the job I did before. I make more money as a staff nurse than what I coud make as an instructor, and other jobs are difficult to get because of my age.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 34
My above comment was for an above entry. Sorry. What Sr. Citizen scholarship did you apply for and how did you find our about it? Thx.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 34

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 34
Aren't you concerned about owing $80 ,000?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 34

My husband and I went back for an associates degree at a local college.  Although we could have enrolled in a Masters program, we wanted more hands on work than a masters program would have prepared us for.  It was great.  It took a little while to get back into the habit of studying and tests but it was well worth it.  We are in our 60s and have had some really great seasonal jobs since then.  The students and profs were all younger than us - it worked out fine.  We were totally accepted.  We used money from Americorp work to pay for much of our schooling.  We also got senior citizen scholarships.

There is a fantastic world of opportunities out there. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season