Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

going to grad school after age 50

Anyone else out there thinking this is the beginning, not the end? I'm researching grad school and dreaming about a new and fulfilling encore career. I'd like to hear your experiences. Did you do an in-person or an online program? Were you accepted by the other students even though you were older? What were the rewards and the challenges?

AllNaturalEverything
Recognized Social Butterfly

(3/22/24) @ka16325833 , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @ka16325833 wrote:

Anyone else out there thinking this is the beginning, not the end? I'm researching grad school and dreaming about a new and fulfilling encore career. I'd like to hear your experiences. Did you do an in-person or an online program? Were you accepted by the other students even though you were older? What were the rewards and the challenges? ***]

0 Kudos

It is never too late to return to school!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am. Looking forward to a second grad school go round starting this month. Would love to hear from others also on this journey. 

(3/22/24) @bg96111913  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @bg96111913 wrote:

I am. Looking forward to a second grad school go round starting this month. Would love to hear from others also on this journey. ***]

0 Kudos

I I am 56 and start Grad school in 2 weeks to become a school counselor. I've been a substitute teacher for a few years now and feel committed to helping kids. I am both excited and at the same time nervous about my new journey. 

(3/22/24) CONGRATS @m214601g  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

[*** @m214601g wrote:

I I am 56 and start Grad school in 2 weeks to become a school counselor. I've been a substitute teacher for a few years now and feel committed to helping kids. I am both excited and at the same time nervous about my new journey. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

Iโ€™m 55 and starting a Masters in Mental Health Counseling this fall. Go, us!!

(3/22/24) CONGRATS @WendyM493688  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

[*** WENDY @WendyM493688 wrote:

Iโ€™m 55 and starting a Masters in Mental Health Counseling this fall. Go, us!! ***]

Contributor

Thank you!!

(3/23/24) @WendyM493688 , you are WELCOME  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** WENDY @WendyM493688 wrote:

Thank you!! ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 58 and on my 2nd semester of Grad School. In 2021 I received my online certification in ACE Data Science and Advanced Data Science. I did so well I decided to go for my Masters in Data Science. I was advised to go part time since I already work full time. The classes are completely online. It is very challenging and sometimes difficult. At times I felt like giving up but my fellow students always reminded me why I was there and told me never to give up. Yes at my age I felt awkward but few students are over 30 and our age. We are encouraged to collaborate and help each other when we have questions. This is how I made friends with the other fellow students. We communicate by zoom, whatsapp, slack,  and sometimes a quick call or text. The challenges I have found is that most students are already doing some type of work in the field that I chose and have I no type of work experience in the field but what I've learned in school. At this age we do need to work a little more harder then when we were young but earning that "A" in the class and have students come to you for help, does pay off in the long run. I say is never too late to go back to school. 

(3/22/24) @er3626  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @er3626 wrote:

I am 58 and on my 2nd semester of Grad School. In 2021 I received my online certification in ACE Data Science and Advanced Data Science. I did so well I decided to go for my Masters in Data Science. I was advised to go part time since I already work full time. The classes are completely online. It is very challenging and sometimes difficult. At times I felt like giving up but my fellow students always reminded me why I was there and told me never to give up. Yes at my age I felt awkward but few students are over 30 and our age. We are encouraged to collaborate and help each other when we have questions. This is how I made friends with the other fellow students. We communicate by zoom, whatsapp, slack,  and sometimes a quick call or text. The challenges I have found is that most students are already doing some type of work in the field that I chose and have I no type of work experience in the field but what I've learned in school. At this age we do need to work a little more harder then when we were young but earning that "A" in the class and have students come to you for help, does pay off in the long run. I say is never too late to go back to school. ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am 51 and took the November LSAT 2022. I got good score on the test and saw my test result on Wednesday. I just got done applying 8 law schools in Texas. I feel tired after filling out the school applications. I had wanting to go for 15 years and was held back due family and financial problems. It feels good to apply and give it a try. I did computer work for 26 years and decided it was time to change careers.

Periodic Contributor

I got an accepted to law school on Christmas day.. I receive my acceptance letter on Christmas Day and was shocked.  This is my update.

(3/22/24) @LizS378813  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote:

I got an accepted to law school on Christmas day.. I receive my acceptance letter on Christmas Day and was shocked.  This is my update. ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I will be finished with my first year of law school in four weeks. I am getting my outlines together and preparing class every day. Law school is very hard. My first year was hard, but I managed to get the hard part of it.It is hard, but it is worth. I just got my first A a week ago.  I put together for Legal Writing and Research II class my first appellate brief. It was hard to put together. I am going to be second year law student next semester if all goes well. I am going to ready study for the finals to  make that happen.

(3/23/24) Thanks for your "response" @LizS378813 and CONGRATS on doing this!!! ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote:

I will be finished with my first year of law school in four weeks. I am getting my outlines together and preparing class every day. Law school is very hard. My first year was hard, but I managed to get the hard part of it.It is hard, but it is worth. I just got my first A a week ago.  I put together for Legal Writing and Research II class my first appellate brief. It was hard to put together. I am going to be second year law student next semester if all goes well. I am going to ready study for the finals to  make that happen. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

Congratulations ๐ŸŽ‰ 

Contributor

I am 57. When my youngest son graduated with his BS Degree I decided it was my turn to go for my Master and change career. At 56 I wanted to start slowly and to see if I could do it. I took an online ACE certification training in Data Science and continued for my Advance certification. Now in the fall I will begin my MS Degree in Data Science. Never too late. 

This is very inspirational.

Contributor

Hello - I hope this thread is still active. I just turned 58 and have been a caseworker at an aging agency for 7 years. I have been wanting to continue to my MA but nervous about debt. I want to continue working in aging/elder field. I really want to focus on improving or revolutionizing nursing homes and helping generations work together. I really have no idea where to start to find a program that focuses on that. Any insight? Thank you!

(3/22/24) Did you return to school @SusanS836488 ?  ๐Ÿค”

[*** SUSAN @SusanS836488 wrote:

Hello - I hope this thread is still active. I just turned 58 and have been a caseworker at an aging agency for 7 years. I have been wanting to continue to my MA but nervous about debt. I want to continue working in aging/elder field. I really want to focus on improving or revolutionizing nursing homes and helping generations work together. I really have no idea where to start to find a program that focuses on that. Any insight? Thank you! ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am 53 and am just finishing my doctorate degree in psychology. I have worked in the field for 35 years. I did my degree online. I found it so fascinating and gratifying. The Science had changed so much in 35 years. I think it was a wonderful experience. Karen Chambre

Retired Community Manager

@wardchambre, congratulations on earning your doctorate degree!

Regular Contributor

I was in my mid-50's when I returend to college to get my master's degree, 27 yrs after receiving my bachelor's. Now, in my 60's, I have also obtained an associate's degree in equine science, & am currently enrolled in an associate's degree paralegal program.

(3/22/24) @bsavoca  , are you all finished or still in school?  ๐Ÿค”  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @bsavoca wrote:

I was in my mid-50's when I returend to college to get my master's degree, 27 yrs after receiving my bachelor's. Now, in my 60's, I have also obtained an associate's degree in equine science, & am currently enrolled in an associate's degree paralegal program. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was not 50, but I went back to grad school 20 years after my college graduation when I had finally figured out "what I wanted to be when I grew up."  I went to an expensive school, but my employer paid for most of my tuition.  I never got a grade below an A, because I was very into school and not distracted by parties, dates, etc.  I loved the experience and recommend it for anyone looking for professional growth as I was.  This decision was critical to my progressing to become a corporate human resources director with 23 facilities reporting to me.  I loved my company and my job.  When I retired I felt I had done a very good job, because of this accomplishment.  And I could not have done it without grad school.

Conversationalist

I took classes online at the Library.  They were so much fun and it's free!

they have so many different ones to take and if you want to take the test you can and get a letter.

I loved short story writing classes. There's about 10 students in a class and some teachers were disturbed if you didn't do the work or not follow their instructions but sometimes it's wasn't clear but they didn't want to hear excuses.

So, I would join another class.

They have all kinds of classes, check it out! Plus, it's online!

Get a library card and your set!

Trusted Contributor

I applied for classes in order to learn how to use a smartphone. It cost me $200 to take this class. All I learned to do was how to text and how to download appes. It didn't teach me how to make a call or how to shoot a movie and to send it off their way!

I wanted to get a diploma for this class, but couldn't get one!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP