Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

going to grad school after age 50

Anyone else out there thinking this is the beginning, not the end? I'm researching grad school and dreaming about a new and fulfilling encore career. I'd like to hear your experiences. Did you do an in-person or an online program? Were you accepted by the other students even though you were older? What were the rewards and the challenges?

AllNaturalEverything
Contributor

I AM IN A MASTERS PROGRAM FOR PASTORAL CARE AND COUNSELING,  MY UNDERGRAD WAS IN SCIOLOGY AND PSYCHOLOGY,  I AM GOING IN TO MY FOURTH SEMESTER BUT WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY FOR IT.  I AM LOOKING FOR A SCHOLARSHIP TO FUND MY PROGRAM SO THAT I CAN FINISH EARLIER THAN 2024 WHICH IS WHEN I WILL FINISH AT THE RATE I AM GOING! ONE COURSE A SEMESTER.  I NEED HELP WITH SCHOLARSHIP MONEY.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Contributor

I AM ADDING TO MY PREVIOUS POST THAT I AM 69 AND ON SOCIAL SECURITY. BLESSED AND LOOKING TO TAKE MY MINISTRY TO ANOTHER LEVEL BY GETTING MASTERS. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SITE TO APPLY OR ANY RESOURCES AT ALL PLEASE SHARE. THANKS!

I have worked via a M.A. in family and consumer resources, in a 30 year career path that included being a Registered Dietitian, Health Educator, food columnist and college health and humanities instructor. During the 2010 AARP Convention in LA I took the challenge to "reinvent" myself and pursue a long deferred dream. Instead of going for another graduate degree after 50 I enrolled in a hands on B.Sc, program in Digital Cinema and Video Production at the Art Institute of CA (initially the Santa Monica campus; now the N. Hollywood campus). It has been fantastically rewarding. there were some physical challenges in lifting some gear, but younger students quickly begn to step in to give me lighter objects to carry when doing team projects. Between my start in 2011 and my upcoming graduation in March 2016 I have created three short documentaries, two narrative short films, had a portfolio film screened at the International Film Festival of Cinematic Arts, at my 50th hight school reunion, and at my church. I am happier with the skills and absolute personal happiness with learning something that was considered "too impractical" during my initial college education. People have asked why "at your age" are you doing another undergraduate degree rather than pursuing a doctorate. (I have been awarded an honorary doctorate in religious humanities for health work with underserved communities, however the degree is not the most important thing to me right now). Unfortunately the Institute's financial Aid department did not have or offer to help identify grants available for people over 50. 

I have a new student loan debt of over 80.000, but I feel rich with what I have learned and the opportunity it has given me to re-enter the job market confident that I can collaborate or compete with milleniums. Passion rather than age should be the determining factor in deciding whether to go back to college after age 50. i'm 69.

Charlotte Sista C Ferrell
Honored Social Butterfly

"....I have a new student loan debt of over 80.000, but I feel rich with what I have learned and the opportunity it has given me to re-enter the job market confident that I can collaborate or compete with milleniums. Passion rather than age should be the determining factor in deciding whether to go back to college after age 50. i'm 69.....".

You can't seriously think that is reasonable  --- taking on that much debt at your age.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Regular Contributor

With that much debt no company will hire you. A lesson for D. Trump: how can voters trust a candidate that has bankrupted ma ny companies?
philo j
Honored Social Butterfly

As I've posted before, I was in IT until age 50 (and Y2K happened). I lost the job, couldn't get one for a year, and at age 52 went to a community college and became a CNA (certified nursing assistant). It was a total change to be working in a hospital after decades of suit-and-tie computer work.  In class, there was only one other guy, and everyone was younger than I. Classes are in a classroom, and clinicals were done in a nursing home (no online --- this is a hands-on job for sure).

I worked in both hospital and nursing home for 4 years until I retired. Yup, got funny looks on the job (though nothing in class, at least in front of me). But, it's totally irrelevant if your classmates give you funny looks --- who cares? You're trying to accomplish something.

But, I got through with work ethic --- worked my butt off, got noticed, and even was asked more than once about doing private work. Most fullfilling job I ever had, along with most difficult, physically demanding (I'm in good physical shape), and dirty.

Go for it.................. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Conversationalist

I love the idea of going to grad school when you are over the age of 50.  That way, when you put in a job application, and if those idiots choose to force you to put in your recent grad date including the year, this way, you would have a recent grad year and it could scare the jeepers out of the one you are applying for.  And it would serve them right for trying to shoo away older workers.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP