Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: going to grad school after age 50

Message 1 of 34

.".... When I apply for jobs I see they want you to have a certification. Crying out load I have not one but two masters. I have applied for Payroll Director position and they are asking for a payroll certification. When applied for Human Resource position they desire a certification in HR.....".

This trend has been going for some time. Think of accounting. It doesn't matter how much schooling and practical experience in accounting you may have, many, if not most employers want someone with a CPA.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 34

I have two masters degrees a MBA and a MS in informatics. I am over 50. My experience is in accounting/human resource/training and I am having a hard time finding a job. My previous position relocated. When I apply for jobs I see they want you to have a certification. Crying out load I have not one but two masters. I have applied for Payroll Director position and they are asking for a payroll certification. When applied for Human Resource position they desire a certification in HR. When does it ever end? How do they expect you to pay for studying material plus the cost of the test. They are not cheap especially when you are not working. 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 34

Congratulations, @jf6642, enjoy the journey!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 34

I'm going to turn 59 in January of 2020. I'm starting a doctoral degree program at the University of Virginia in the fall if 2020 and it will take me about 3 years to finish. It's something I always wanted to do so I'm going to do it ! I want this degree for many reasons and one of them was that I promised my father years and years ago I'd be a doctor someday. Of course, he was was hoping for a medical doctor or a veterinarian or a dentist as a son but he got a son that has done everything from being a professional ballet dancer to a teacher of Advanced Placement Chemistry and Physics. I see this as another new journey in a wonderful life. 

James (Jay) Farris
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 34

Hello:

I'm 50+ and applied to graduate school last year and got accepted to the MS in Nonprofit Leadership Progam in the School of Social Policy and Practice at Penn. The whole application process was online and video interviews. The application process was fairly easy and involved essays, letters of recommendations and the aforementioned interviews. 

The program is a hybrid online program and the first for Penn.

I hope this is helpful for anyone considering this path.

Julia
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 34

Please help me. I'm retired and attempted getting my college degree. I have been trying to find funding for school since I've registered. I'm on a fixed income every little bit helps. I live in Pa. so could you please e-mail me any information that could help, thanks           

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 34

I went back to school October 2014. I am doing the online thing since I work a full time job. I decided to get my Bachelor's in criminal justice and I am loving every minute of it!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 34

Go for it. I completed two Master's degrees after 50 and completed my Doctor of Ministry degree before I was 65. 

The two Master's degrees were done face to face and the Doctor of Ministry through George Fox Evangelical Seminary was a hybred-- with classes both online and face-to-face. The biggest challenge for me was staying focused on the task at hand as sometimes I did feel overwhelmed by the amount of study projects. I found that most of my colleagues were younger and some were very much younger but always accepting of what wisdom I had to offer. 

Be open to being mentored by younger people and be open to learn from and with colleagues. It is an AWESOME experience so enjoy the ride!

Blessings on your new journey. Follow your blissSmiley Very Happy

Dr. Jerilyn (aka Dr. J though I am not male,tall, nor do I play basketball, but I am retired!)

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 34
I AM ADDING TO MY PREVIOUS POST THAT I AM 69 AND ON SOCIAL SECURITY. BLESSED AND LOOKING TO TAKE MY MINISTRY TO ANOTHER LEVEL BY GETTING MASTERS. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SITE TO APPLY OR ANY RESOURCES AT ALL PLEASE SHARE. THANKS!
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 34

I AM IN A MASTERS PROGRAM FOR PASTORAL CARE AND COUNSELING,  MY UNDERGRAD WAS IN SCIOLOGY AND PSYCHOLOGY,  I AM GOING IN TO MY FOURTH SEMESTER BUT WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY FOR IT.  I AM LOOKING FOR A SCHOLARSHIP TO FUND MY PROGRAM SO THAT I CAN FINISH EARLIER THAN 2024 WHICH IS WHEN I WILL FINISH AT THE RATE I AM GOING! ONE COURSE A SEMESTER.  I NEED HELP WITH SCHOLARSHIP MONEY.  CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.