Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: car rental age restrictions?

Message 1 of 5

@PatrickR720159 wrote:

It is illegal for any car rental agencies to discriminate against age.  And if any are caught doing it, they can be fined severely.  

This is discrimination only in loose definition:  i.e.  recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.  There are many products and services that have some type of age restriction or differential placed upon them.  Just as young drivers pay a hefty premium for their insurance, senior drivers have higher crash rates than their middle-aged counterparts, and thus often pay a prettier penny for their car insurance - sometimes 65 years of age but most definitely after crossing over the 70 threshold; although there are a few things one can do to ease the higher rate burden somewhat.

This type of minimum and maximum age restriction in the U.S. car rental industry varies by the company you are doing business with and many times this may be due to their own experience.

But now if you are up in the age and want to rent a car in Europe - you might better make some other plans.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Simply want to comment that a law prohibiting discrimination/fines may not do much. People break laws all the time. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the quick reply.  i have printed it out and will carry it with me on an upcoming trip just in case they question me about my age.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

It is illegal for any car rental agencies to discriminate against age.  And if any are caught doing it, they can be fined severely.   Some people in their 80s dread getting onto a highway or onto a street in super heavy traffic.  St. Louis has a paratransit service for those who feel unsafe of getting behind the wheel in a strange city.  I live in the St. Louis area and the paratransit service we have here is called Call-a-Ride.  Just like a car rental agency, best to make a reservation.  To obtain a Call-a-Ride visitor card, dial 1-314-982-1510 and have them send you an application in the mail for a visitor card.  Then once you are set up and the application has been mailed in, then you book your trips on Call-a-Ride by calling 1-888-652-3617.  There are no age restrictions for making any reservations with a car rental agent.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

car rental age restrictions?

Message 5 of 5

I am planning a trip and want to fly but will need to have a car when I get there.  I have been told that some car rental companies will not rent to people after a certian age.  I am 87 and have a valid drivers liscense,  Should I ask ahead of time or just take my chances?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors