Find out how to register, vote early, research a candidate and more in AARP's midterm election guide.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Did You Dream of Becoming in H.S.?

Message 21 of 49

mr61299637 wrote:

My dream was to be an Olympic ice-skating champ.  Peggy Fleming was the star on ice at that time,and I saw myself twirling and whirling around the ice, as she did so gracefully.  I quickly learned that skating on a local pond, unable to stand at times, wobbling and weaving across the ice, would definitely not win me a medal.  So, I entered teaching, enjoying wobbling and weaving with young people, learning from them as much as they learned from me, for over forty years.

I love your story as I have a similar one.  Mine began with watching Ice Capades and Holiday on Ice.  There was one problem with my dream.  I lived in Atlanta, GA and we had no ice rinks.  A small one was finally opened when I was in high school and I was first in line.  I laced up the skates and stepped onto the ice and the blades went over sideways, first on one foot and then the other.  I was totally depressed that my ankles didn't seem strong enough as I was a dancer and even on my toes.  

I bade me dreams goodbye until I was in my 30's and I met a man from Minnesota.  By this time there were a couple of ice rinks in Atlanta and he and his children were into ice-skating.  He and his son (age 5) were into hockey and the daughter (age 10) was taking figure skating lessons.  He asked if I wanted to go skating with them and I confessed my earlier experience.  He said it was possible the skates didn't fit and dared me to try again with him fitting the skates.  I did it.  The skates were so tight I couldn't feel my toes but my ankles stayed up.

The next day I ordered my own skates and signed up for classes.  I didn't go to the Olympics but I did enter a couple of local competitions where I got a gold metal in one and a silver in another (both for my age group).  I also joined a figure skating club and we put on shows.  They were several steps below the Ice Capades but just as exciting.  It really felt like living out a dream.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 49
I first dreamt of becoming a Prima Ballerina because I was a soloist with The Louisville Ballet at the age of sixteen and I have to admit I loved doing a performance and while still in full makeup and my costume, being surrounded by young girls from the Ballet School who asked me to sign their programs💃 As I matured I decided I wanted to be a surgeon. I started out during the summers working with an eye surgeon who I adored and he made me dream of becoming a Retina Eye Surgeon but as I worked with other doctors, I decided I wanted to be a Rehabilative Plastic Surgeon, and it was with that in mind I entered Medical Scool in Louisville, KY.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 49

I was headed for a life of crime in high school, having been involved in numerous street gangs beginning around the age of eight. I led a double life in college, consistently on the dean's list while engaged in a murderous gang war. I didn't begin to mature emotionally until I was in my forties. Now I devote time counseling incarcerated teens, in hopes of inspiring them NOT to follow in my footsteps.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 49

A computer programmer or a vet.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 49

I dreamt of becoming a flight attendant.  Unfortunately for me, there were height restrictions then, and I was an inch too tall.  I went into administrative work, and did quite well.  However, I never lost my desire to fly.  When my last child graduated from high school, I again iinvestigated being a flight attendant.  I would have succeeded in my second attempt, but it would have required moving, and I was not ready to leave my family and friends.  Thirty years prior, though, I would have moved in a minute. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 49

The only passion for career I had in high school was to be involved in social work...but I never made it. I just wanted to help people less fortunate than I was. I got married, had children, raised them all. Now at 63,after 9 hard years of full time work and classes, I received my degree in accounting. I would still like to use it for a not-for-profit organization.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 49

I dreamt of becoming a national geographic photographer.  I never got that far, but I have been shooting everything from soup to nuts when I bought my first SLR Canon.  Wildlife is my specialty.

My mother and Dad would be proud.  I am, however, a wonderful Mom.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 49
I always dreamed of becoming a doctor. I was a very good student, and loved science--but hated math. I changed my major to English from pre-med, and got a Master's degree in English. I married and moved near the Yukon where, as head academic instructor of a small college, had the opportunity to teach biology, chemistry, physics, English, ESL and, yes, math! Later in life, I went back to college and entered nursing school, but unfortunately, did not get to finish as I chose to give up school to care for my dying father. Although life did not turn out the way I expected it to, I got the chance to inspire others in science, and practiced care-giving for my family members.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 49

My dream was to be an Olympic ice-skating champ.  Peggy Fleming was the star on ice at that time,and I saw myself twirling and whirling around the ice, as she did so gracefully.  I quickly learned that skating on a local pond, unable to stand at times, wobbling and weaving across the ice, would definitely not win me a medal.  So, I entered teaching, enjoying wobbling and weaving with young people, learning from them as much as they learned from me, for over forty years.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 49

I wanted to go to college to become a kindergarten teacher as I loved working with small children. I was raised in the 50s and my grandparents did NOT believe that girls should go to college but instead work till they got married.  I never had the chance to fulfill that dream...........other than to work with my own grandchildren.

Kudos
Views