Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Welcome to the Small Business Roundtable

Message 41 of 51

I will be pleased Felecia. I first started by researching and consulting with the Small Business Administration, consistently watching the online course materials. Thereafter, I began attending networking events and researching federal agency’s missions. I simply aligned my capabilities with the gaps of federal agency’s and started networking to present to key personnel.

The key to getting started is networking. The more people and connections you have in your arsenal will best lead you to your first customer.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 51

Happy Hump Day - it's day three of our online forum and it's Small Business Month!  We are excited you decided to join us for what we think will be engaging conversation about all things business.  I want to remind you we have three guest in our roundtable for the next week and a half.  We have @MarcellusWade, @KeithH119895 and @JenneneB36990 joining us for this conversation.  Feel free to ask a question.

So today we will continue with @KeithH119895 who will us some tips and tricks to starting a business.  Other guest, please free feel to jump in.

Kudos
Views
Business Coach
Kudos
Views

Small Business IS Big Business

Message 43 of 51

Good morning!  My name is Keith Hall and I am President and CEO of the National Association for the Self-Employed.  We represent over 30 million small businesses who, as a group, provide over 70 percent of all new jobs in this country.   The NASE was organized almost 40 years ago and has as its only mission, to help those small business owners be more successful  

I am looking forward to visiting with all those interested in building their own American Dream in buidling their own future and creating jobs for the future of others.  

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 51

@MarcellusWade can you give our audience more specific information about how you got started.  We may have people who are looking for some direction on where to go and how to get started.  Give us a bit more insight.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 51

I started my business by working as a consultant for a small firm in Baltimore. After understanding the landscape of business development, I launched my firm.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 51

@MarcellusWade please share with our audience how you started your business.  Were there any specific steps you took to get your business lauched (i.e. research, courses/training, books on how to get started, etc.)?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 51

Good morning All. I am here if you have any business questions.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 51

Happy Veterans Day to all who have and continue to serve our country.  It's also the first day of AARP's Small Business Roundtable where we will ask and answer your questions about starting, marketing, funding and growing your business.  Last week we introduced our guest panel who will be available for the next two weeks to engage you on all things small business. 

So, I invite you to join the conversation.  We'd like to hear from you!

I also invite you to join us next week Nov. 20 @ 7PM EST to learn about how to Start a Business Online.  You can register now at https://vekeo.com/event/aarpfinancialresiliance-46983/ (copy and paste in your browser).

To kick off our conversation, let's start with @KeithH119895 to give us some basic information about starting a business.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 51

Good morning, everyone! The roundtable discussion begins in a few days. Feel free to leave us a question over the weekend and we'll get started on Monday!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 51

Felicia Brown @FeeBrown leads AARP’s Entrepreneurship Initiative focused on helping aspiring entrepreneurs understand the risks and rewards of starting a business. She manages strategic partnerships, and researches and develops educational resources for small businesses. She is one of AARP’s Work/Jobs online community experts.

Keith Hall @KeithH119895 is president and CEO of the National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE). He previously served as the National Tax Advisor for NASE where he offered tax advice to people who are self-employed and to small business owners. He is a certified public accountant and has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post and Good Housekeeping.

Jennene Biggins @JenneneB36990 is the principal of J Biggins Consulting, a digital marketing consulting firm specializing in helping small businesses leverage social media marketing strategies, email marketing, video marketing, and mobile marketing to effectively reach their customers and generate revenue.

Marcellus “Fox” Wade III @MarcellusWade is founder and CEO of Black Fox. He is a United States Army veteran, Purple Heart recipient and Black Business Review “40 under 40” awardee. Black Fox is one of Maryland’s fastest growing companies, supporting clients such as the Maryland Department of Transportation, Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services and the Maryland Transit Authority.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.