Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Re: Want to take your career to the next level? Ask a Career Coach!

Message 1 of 62

Hi, @KurtS148745  -

First, kudos to you for making the choice to support your parents.

From your description, it sounds like the skills you acquired in entertainment are eminently tranferable, and did not involve the more proprietary work that we often associate with entertainment (e.g. talent management, content distribution etc.).

Perhaps it's how you're presenting this on your LinkedIn profile and in your resume.  You want to stress the skill and the value, not the employer.

It also sounds like you're applying to positions and sending resumes, not interacting with people as a way in.  Your network is the only way you're going to make headway on this.

Start with all of the people you know from your current/past work who might have connections to companies in Milwaukee where you would want to work.  Since it sounds like you have a pretty solid engineering/tech background, there should be a number of colleagues (including vendors, partners and others not strictly in entertainment) who would be able to refer you.

See if you can make connections (and connect on LinkedIn), and then set up a week's worth of meetings in Milwaukee with these new connections.  These are informational meet-and-greet meetings.  The pitch:

You're in town because you're in the process of moving in order to be closer to your family.  This is a legitimate, laudable, and understandable goal.  People will be positively inclined to support you.  You're not asking for a job.  You're looking to make connections, understand what opportunities are available in Milwaukee, and looking for guidance on which direction you should choose.

In these meetings, they'll get a chance to hear from you and get a picture of who you are, what you've done, and how you want to apply it.  They will hopefully provide you with further networking contacts to whom you can present the same pitch.  And while you're in town, research local networking/trade/industry groups that could be holding networking events, including meetups, lectures, conferences etc.  Add those to your agenda.

More referrals and contacts should result, and by following these threads, you will eventually find your way into the right companies who will either have an open position for you, or who may even create a position for you based on what you offer.

To that last point, look through some of the other posts on this thread for my advice about creating a solid value proposition in your LinkedIn profile.  As an experienced professional, you want to have defined what it is that you do best, what gives you the greatest satisfaction, and how you can use that to provide tangible value for an employer or a client. Don't be a "jack of all trades."  No one needs that.  And don't be afraid of narrowly defining yourself by one area of expertise or one specific problem that you are the _best_ at solving.

I hope this has been helpful, and best of luck!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 62

I would love to get advice on how to switch industries.  I have been in the entertainment industry for my entire career.  I have worked for the major studios in operations and international localization as well as for technology companies that work with the entertainment industry.  I have had roles running engineering groups, sales, marketing and responsible for P&Ls in the hundreds of millions of dollars.  My problem is that I want to live in the Milwaukee area to help my aging parents.  I cannot seem to get any companies to understand that my skills are transferable.  All they see is entertainment and they don’t even give me a chance to interview,  any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Re: I want to take a career to the next level!

Message 3 of 62

Sound like a good plan, @JudyH634346 !

Is there anything I can help you with?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 62

I want to take my skills and life experience make a shift to freelance work online working with lawyers in various legal issues maybe helping an organization or legal firm run. Maybe help someone with your rights in the workplace.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 62

Thanks, @Olif -

You're not "too old" to do anything (unless it's physical activity that your body can no longer do).  That's ageist thinking, unfortunately.

But you also have to demonstrate that what you do has value.  Please review some of the advice I've given to other people on this thread in similar circumstances. 

Think about everything you've done, everything you've learned, what you love doing, and what you're good at doing.  How can that serve others and help them succeed in their businesses?  Whats is the specific value that you can offer? Is it a skill you can teach?  A problem or set of problems that you can solve?

Figure this out and you've got the seed of a product or a service that you can offer.  Maybe you'll find job openings that can take advantage of that.  Maybe you'll want to network your way to finding people who need what you offer.  But this is one way to take back control of the career process so you're not being written-off as "too old."

If you're providing something of value that's helping a business run or succeed, it doesn't matter how old you are.

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 62

Thanks for your question @LindaW330912 

You're leading into a very specific area and a very lengthy topic!

As a self-published author, I can tell you that the upside of self-publishing can certainly outweigh going the traditional publishing route.

However, it is a very technical process, and does involve you as the author driving the marketing of your book or books.

Were your previous books self-published?  That will help me give you better advice on your novel.

What stage are you at right now?  Do you have an editor you're working with? Do you have up to $10,000 available to fund the various publishing steps?

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

I want to take a career to the next level!

Message 7 of 62

Ever since I lost my job a few years ago, I tried to apply for a new position. Since I was too old to do anything for a paid position, many of the offers I received were on a "volunteer" level. Every employer assumed that since I was "retired", I would not mind working for a company for free since I was able to afford working for free. This of course is **bleep**! I am not working because I was forced into retirement!

The question remains! How can I apply for a decent job where my application would be taken seriously, rather than a job that would be a hobby position, or something that just gives be something to do? One company once told me "When you work with us (for free), you will be keeping busy! It's much better than watching TV all day long or just spending the days puttering around the house looking for something to do!"

-Bah!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 62

I have written a published 4 children's books in the past. I have always loved writing. I am in the process of writing a novel. I feel it is extremely good. I need advise on what is the best direction to go with publishing and how do I get attention with low funds available to me. 

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 62

Bravo, @medinbu !

It sounds like you've started a very valuable program.  I am sure that there are others on the various AARP message boards in the non-profit space who could help you out. Search under "gerontology" or other keywords. It's not a question that I cover.

Best of luck with your project!

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 62

Thanks, @Elisabeth1953 -

It sounds like you have teaching experience that could be useful if you are not able to perform some of the physical functions that you performed previously.

If that is an appealing avenue for you, as an older worker, your experience counts for a lot in an educational context.  I would explore all of the education offerings available locally and online, and look for the gaps - either material that is not being taught, or not being taught well.  How can your experience and your unique point of view better inform that education process to yield tangible results for potential students?

You might also do some research in your field to learn what managers in the profession are looking for in their staff, and what skill sets or experience are lacking in the candidate pool.  Managers in most businesses are frustrated by the lack of skills in the applicants they field for open positions. You could target your education offerings specifically at these areas - creating a win-win for both employer and candidate.

To get started, I would approach local community colleges or industry-focused trade schools and offer your course or courses.  Build up some experience teaching and getting the feedback from students to hone the product.  Don't jump into online learning until you've built experience in front of live classes - what you'll gain there is going to be invaluable.  Then, you can translate that experience and the credibility (and testimonials!) of your live students to leverage the establishment of your online program and brand.

Reach out to other educators in this field on LinkedIn - which is also, of course, a great place to find others in your field who could be resources for you, as well as potential clients.

See my earlier postings for more information on tips to create a viable LinkedIn profile.  It is essential to any professional's career strategy.

Let me know if you have additional questions!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season