Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Want to take your career to the next level? Ask a Career Coach!

Message 51 of 61

Hello,

I will be 56 this November and have made my career as an executive assistant to C level executives.

I am considering moving to be near my son and his family and would like to understand how I can go for a management position.

After 30 some years, I think I bring alot of management level skill sets

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 61

@SchoolAdmin wrote:

My value is classroom experience in all levels of K-12 education.  I also have served as a site administrator as well as the district office.  My specialized training for CTO helps me understand the big purchase vision in terms of legal requirements and hoop.  Therefore, "I get it": I understand the challenges and the doubt prevalent with schools, and educators.  I also can talk as "one of them" as teachers often feel that sales people and trainers are outsiders and don't understand the realistic situation in the classroom.

What I don't know is how to convey that to employers.

Thanks so much for drilling down -

So your target market is, if I'm getting this right, school districts - as well as perhaps individual private schools? - implementing curriculum and technology.  When you say "specialized training for CTO.." are you referring to chief technology officers, or is this another acronym?

Your LinkedIn profile, in the "About" section is the place to state this clearly.  People usually miss the importance of the About section.  It's not a summary of past jobs/accomplishments.  It's a place to state the "why" of what you do, plus a few highlights of "how" you have made a difference in doing it, plus an aspirational "where" you are looking to take this talent of yours going forward.

You already have the seeds of this in the paragraph you just wrote to me.  So I would recommend looking at revising your LinkedIn accordingly and using the 2000 characters available in the about section to fully flesh out your value proposition in your area.

As to jobs specifically, I would not wait for job openings to be posted.  Sure, you can always search on keywords and things will come up.  But I would be more pro-active and identify the companies that provide these services to your target market.  Network your way (through LinkedIn and through your own network) to the decision-makers at those providers and develop relationships there.

Give them a reason to connect with you by analyzing the gaps or opportunities in your market, and coming up with solutions to address them.  In your outreach to these providers, you're not "looking for a job," you're "doing research" about what's going on in the market and looking to get their take.

Develop relationships as a fellow professional and as a thought leader (after all these years, and your significant experience, you've earned it!) - not as as a "supplicant" with your hand out trying to land a job.

Your relationships, and the respect that you develop based on the insights that you offer, are what will lead you to the kind of job you're seeking - whether directly, or through referrals.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 61

My value is classroom experience in all levels of K-12 education.  I also have served as a site administrator as well as the district office.  My specialized training for CTO helps me understand the big purchase vision in terms of legal requirements and hoop.  Therefore, "I get it": I understand the challenges and the doubt prevalent with schools, and educators.  I also can talk as "one of them" as teachers often feel that sales people and trainers are outsiders and don't understand the realistic situation in the classroom.

What I don't know is how to convey that to employers.

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 61

@SchoolAdmin wrote:

@JohnTarnoff I need help with search terms for the various job sites such as Indeed or Zip Recruiter. I am looking for the types of jobs where I would go out to the customer and train them and support them in their product use.  What would be the title of such a position? 

Thanks for your question @SchoolAdmin!

I would expect that "trainer," "product demo," "training," "product support," "customer training" are the basic search terms you would use to find such job postings.

More to the point for me is: what is your actual field of expertise that someone would hire you for?  Don't be a "jack of all trades" and represent yourself as someone with the ability to train anyone on anything.  That's not going to fly.  You need to already be a specific, niched solution to what your employer needs.

Have a clear sense of your value proposition before you start searching for open positions, and be able to clearly state what that is.

All the best

John

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 61

@JohnTarnoff I need help with search terms for the various job sites such as Indeed or Zip Recruiter. I am looking for the types of jobs where I would go out to the customer and train them and support them in their product use.  What would be the title of such a position? 

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Too Old to Go Freelance? Think Again!

Message 56 of 61

Getting turned down for the jobs you're applying for?

Worse yet, can't even get called in for an interview?

Afraid you're stuck on the job search hamster wheel forever?

doran-erickson-508459-unsplash.jpgStop what you're doing and consider that going freelance may be you best strategy.  Take everything you've learned in your life-long career, including the skills, the wisdom, the insight (that can only come from experience), and put it to work in a specific, targeted way for a bunch of clients, not just one single employer.

Of course there are challenges to going from an employee mindset to a freelance mindset.

Check out my recent blog post on this subject: https://johntarnoff.com/freelance-101-how-to-start-your-second-act/

Let me know what you think?

Already made the transition to the freelance lifestyle?  Share your experience and your tips and tricks to help others successfully follow in your footsteps!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 61

Thanks, for sharing your insights @JohnTarnoff. Great way to kick this off. We're glad to have you in the AARP Online Community for the next six weeks!

For those who would like to ask a question, please do so by reply post. Thank you!

Kudos
Views
Career Coach
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 61

Hi, Everyone!

It's a pleasure to be here on the AARP forum to support you in extending and reinventing your career.

More and more of us are delaying retirement.  This makes more and more sense at a time when people are living longer and need more savings to support them in their longer lives.  But we also are a more engaged generation and want to stay active and involved in work - which provides great satisfaction and also keeps us healthy!

But the big problem that we're having is  convincing employers to keep us around!  According to a recent ProPublica/Urban Institute study, 56% of all employed people over 50 will be forced out of their jobs one way or another.

That's a staggering figure...

My prescription is to stop chasing job openings and to start chasing professional relationships.  Your network is your number one career asset.  85% of jobs are filled through referrals, NOT through job applications.  So you need to tap into your existing network and build new connections.

I'm sure we'll be talking more about this over the next six weeks!  

Tell me your story and I'll do my best to give you some actionable advice.

John

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 61

Enter the Make Your Move Career & Entrepreneur Contest for your chance to win a Power Meeting with Shark Tank’s Daymond John.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Contest ends 9/15/19. To enter and for Official Rules, visit https://sweeps.aarp.org/enterdaymond2019.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 61

John Tarnoff is a career coach who helps people successfully navigate job transitions, and empowers them to take back control of their careers. He is the author of Boomer Reinvention: How to Create Your Dream Career Over 50. He serves as an adjunct professor and Head of Industry Relations for Carnegie Mellon University’s Los Angeles-based Master of Entertainment Industry Management graduate program.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Want to take your career or business to the next level? Coaches Tarnoff and Hall are here to help!