Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Want to be your own boss? Ask an Expert!

Retired Community Manager

Want to be your own boss? Ask an Expert!

Have you thought about taking the next steps to becoming your own boss? Before taking the leap AARP’s Small Business Expert Felicia Brown (@febrown67) is here to help!  Ask her about your business ideas and writing a business plan. 

Dates: May 6-22, 2019

Get started on turning your passion into profit!

AARP Expert

It's our third week into our conversation about being your own boss.  I hope you checked out our conversation with the Jones sisters of Jones BBQ and Keith Hall of NASE to hear about the ladies' journey of re-launching their business, and Keith's advice on starting and sustaining your business.  If you missed it, no worries - you can view on-demand at www.aarp.org/startabusiness. 

For those of you who are still contemplating whether business ownership is right for you, the SBA offers free courses and information to help you get started.  Available are free 30-minute online courses on topics including the basics of accounting and marketing and how to write a business plan or prepare a loan application. The courses, which can be taken at any time, also address how to seek government contracts and how to apply for government programs aimed at helping women- and minority-owned businesses. You can the courses at www.sba.gov/course .

As always I want to hear from you.  Got a business idea but not sure how to get started; let us know. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I am already my own boss.  I’m retired!

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Today marks the first day of National Small Business Week!  This is a time where we pause to thank the 30M small businesses who take risk, innovate, create jobs and exemplify the American spirit of entrepreneurship. In honor of that, please join AARP on May 8 at 7PM EST to hear about the Jones BBQ journey of re-launching their business as well as learn from Keith Hall from the National Assoc. for the Self-Employed (NASE) about how to start and sustain a business.  The Jones' sisters and Keith will answer your question live.  Register now at www.aarp.org/startabusiness to join the conversation.  Also, join me throughout the month of May to have a conversation about launching your small buiness or how to be your own boss.  Got a question - send it my way!  I look forward to hearing from you!

AARP Expert

Today marks day three of AARP's conversation on How to Start a Business and National Small Business Week.  Please be encouraged to join AARP tonight @ 7PM EST in conversation with Deborah and Mary Jones - owners of Jones BBQ and Keith Hall, CEO of National Association for the Self-Employed.  You will hear about the Jones sisters re-launched Jones BBQ later in life, and hear from Keith on how to start and stay in business.  You can tune in to this live event at the AARP Black Community Page or register at www.aarp.org/startabusiness. 

In the meantime, if you have a question about turning your passion project into a business, I'm here to answer your questions.

Contributor

Hi There @FeeBrown!

I'm still working, yet I'd really like to work for myself, as a teleworker. I've been working from home for the past 3 years, and really prefer the online environment.

My background is in teaching and research, and I'd like to be an independent contractor/researcher. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@DrG0201 just so i'm clear, you want to work for yourself full-time?  There are companies like Thumbtack that can introduce you opportunities that will allow you to work from home.  I suggest you do a google search on work from home opportunities. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Good morning, everyone! In case you missed it, @FeeBrown shared the replay from last night's telephone town hall with the Jones sisters. Please click here to view the replay. Have questions about what you viewed, Felicia is here to help!

Contributor

I, as a disabled retired person, am seeking practical (and applicable) information regarding starting a business. 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@DanielA26080 I encourage you to join me tonight to ask your question of Keith Hall of Nat'l Assoc for the Self-Employed.  He will be available to answer questions such as yours from people looking to start a business.  Your can register at www.aarp.org/startabusiness or watch live at the AARP Black Community FB Page.

Periodic Contributor

You should decide what your passion is and start right where you are.  

AARP Expert

@taylorvt that is correct.  I have learned that when you act in your purpose it will become your passion that you can turn into profit.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP