Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP Job Board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Volunteer

Message 11 of 16

The only advice i have for you is just go and talk to the HR dept.  Tell them how much you enjoy volunteering there but also you could use some extra money with how everything is getting expensive all over.  All they can do is tell you if they have or will have any positions open or not.  When hasn't anyone of us heard the word NO before and you can also tell them politely that you are looking and in need of a paying job and if anything comes up to let you know.  I have been volunteering myself at a local hospital for over 6 months and i haven't worked in over 5 years and need a paying job and i went directly to HR and explained my situation and they said they will help me find a job there and want to keep me working for them and not to go anywhere else cause they like me and my work ethics.  So see it's just how you present yourself and be positiveSmiley Happy  Wish you the best of luck.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16
I have been volunteering for over a year and half with local food pantry organization. It is quite large with 40 employees, however, there has been no opportunity to work part- time which is what I am looking for. I thought about reaching out to their HR department asking for consideration but it is a bit awkward since they know me well as a volunteer. Any advice?
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

Wiife and I volunteer mostly with an environmental advocacy organization. But it's strictly volunteer --- there is only one paid person out of 500 members.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16
I have volunteered in Thailand and Vietnam for environmental and animal causes but have never done it for future employment. I think, if an organization has a track record of actually absorbing volunteers and being able to really provide employment to their current volunteers then you're good. It's just a matter of finding the right organizations and volunteer programs.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

I am often concerned about the impact of long-term volunteers (AKA "unpaid labor"), on the jobs available for paid workers.

I know people who are civilian volunteers with their local police department, while some do "neighborhood watch" to augment uniformed patrols, other volunteers are doing work that used to be done by paid workers, who weren't replaced when they retired. Having willing volunteers can make it too easy for organizations to reduce their paid labor force, citing an inability to continue funding those positions .. and yet they give raises to the remaining staff, so you have to wonder how legitimate their "budget constraints" are!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Volunteer

Message 16 of 16

I would like to know how many of you have volunteered.  I actually got hired after volunteering a few months for my current employer.  I would suggest finding an organization you would like to work for and see if that is an option. It could give you the start you need to get back into the workforce.  I had not worked for five years because I was a caregiver for my mom.  I ideal job would have been the medical field or at the hospital but, the agency where I now work had a much easier process.

Kudos
Views
Replies