Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Unemployed at 60

Good Morning,

I was let go from my job of 19 years in August of 2017.  I found a job within a month and after working there for 5 months I was toldI was not a good fit.  I then found another job within another month and was let go in June 2018 due to reduction of their work force.  I updated my resume with both these jobs and have not even had any responses except from recruiters with temp jobs.  I do not want to continue looking for a new job every couple of months.  Any suggestions or thoughts? 

Regular Contributor

You can work for a temp agency.  They will send you to many jobs.

Periodic Contributor

The last time I worked full time was in 2009.  My husband is 100% disabled but mobile. We just moved to a new area and I have been looking for work constantly for the last year and a half.  I have had job offers, but they are all part time at 10.00 an hour and about 21/2 hours away. I am not having much luck either.

I suggest you go the Resume Review tool from AARP. I just did it and now I know why the job websites are ignoring my resume.  They will review the resume and give you constructive criticism that will open your eyes about online jobs and how employers work.

Good Luck!

Contributor

I lost my job today. I know it is hard to not feel sad, but it is an opportunity to explore those areas of interest you haven't had time for when you were working! I'm going to put one foot in front of the other in that direction!

Contributor

I just retired in November 2018 to be with my first husband due to us reconnecting and deciding to get back together. I moved from New England to the Carolinas and cannot find an office position that would fit my needs. A recent article in the local newspaper stated that the jobless rate is increasing in my area and employers appear to be extremely picky about hiring. I would like to find an office position, either full or part-time, that would supplement my monthly pension. Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.

Contributor

Thank you to everyone who has reviewed and/or replied. I am lucky enough to have been hired to a home healthcare agency and started this week. I hope you all are blessed with everything you are seeking, whether it be work or simply enjoying your retirement. God bless.

Could your attitude or behavior have changed in recent years? I'm just asking. You may want to critique yourself and see what the problem could be.
Contributor

Hello.  The problem I see is companies want to hire temporary/seasonal workers and not pay benefits such as health insurance.  These companies will pay more training these temps every few months along with taking time away from the work load by the person who needs to do the training.  Yes, this does upset me but there is nothing I can do about it.  I have seen this before when my children were younger but I was also younger and a single mom.  I worked three jobs to get through it at that time and I am not up to doing that unless I really have to at this point of my life.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

Hey.  I am not sure what city you live in, but here is some good news.  Mercy here in St. Louis is always short on housekeepers.  And the Heart Hospital at Mercy needs it a lot and so does the Children's at Mercy Hospital St. Louis.  My director states that she would love to see some people in their 50s and 60s.  Mercy does not have an upper age limit at all. If we had one for a floor tech, it would be 99.  So if you don't mind a relocating, St. Louis Mercy Hospital could use you.  If you come and work for Mercy Hosptial St. Louis, you could work in Radiololigy, just about anywhere.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
0 Kudos
Contributor

No nothing has change just got laid off.

Contributor

No hasn't change just got laid off.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP