Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweating the Job Search

Message 41 of 70

Smiley Wink U BETTER DO

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 70
I am 62. Moved back home from MS to the Atl area April 2015. I went to work for a CU in a city 32 miles from my apartment. As everyone knows the traffic at 5:00 pm is horrendous and it was taking a minimum of 2 hrs to get home DAILY. My daughter in laws company (5 miles from my apartment) offered me an admin position also with $7500 more in salary. After 3 mos w/CU I resigned and took the new job. Call it karma or whatever, my "new" job/position was eliminated after only 5 weeks on 9/16. I was blind sided, shocked and totally devastated. I have unemployment ( only 6 weeks left) and resorted to early SS and just barely getting by. I am registered with 6 staffing agencies, have applied for over 100 jobs, been to 4 job fairs and on 7 face to face interviews. NOTHING to date. I was making over $28 an hour, now I feel I am begging for $12! My pride and stamina are gone. I am so scared to start the Holiday season so depressed and broken. I have 5 grand babies (11, 8, 8, 4, 4) who are keeping me going and giving me hope. I am absolutely positive my job was "eliminated" because of my age as well as not getting a job now! I don't look my age and am in excellent health, educated, mannerly and dress professionally. I can get a promising interview over the phone every time but the minute the jobs realize my age it quickly goes south. With all that being said, I have had no health or dental insurance since April 2015 either. Trying to find insurance at age 62 is impossible. Medicare won't help because of my age and with NOT enough income I can't afford any monthly premiums or co-pays. I am desperate for dental work as luck will have it, I have lost 3 older crowns on my back molars during the last 6 months. Chewing is difficult. Oh well...I live alone with family close by but times have never been harder for me. I am trying to keep my chin up and my Faith strong. Ann
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 70

I admire you for the courage to leave-I am in what sounds to the same situation. I am the oldest employee & assumptions are always made. It is so wearing! !  I love what I do but really don't want continue doing it.  I can only say I feel your pain & frustration.  Keep hanging in there!  Things have to get better .  Best  of luck!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 70
I feel fortunate that I landed a 4 hour M-F gig and am loving it! It is different from most things I have ever done before but it buys groceries! I am so grateful! It also allows me time to paint (I am also an artist).
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 70

Similar frustration:  I am 55 years old and worked in Indy for over 26 years as a pharmacist with a hospital, the last 20 years in the outpatient clinic.  Over 800 employees were let go due to restructuring in June 2013. Fortunately, this provided 4.5 months of severence pay.  Found a job at a long term care pharmacy right as severence ran out.  Twenty months later, again let go due to restructuring... no severence.  After 4 months, a recruiter called and after a phone interview, was hired to work at a Pharmacy Benefits Manager for 7 to 9 months.  Nine days into training, all 10 of us were let go due to company's change of plans.  Applying to 3 jobs weekly to earn unemployment, but have not found the secret to even getting an interview.  Kind of hard to be positive.  Better days are coming???

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 70
That is true the older people are nore reliable more commited to their work and all on time not missing any days of work and very focus.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 70
DON'T GIVE UP ,USE YOUR GIFT THAT YOU HAVE BECAUSE THE LORD IS TRYING TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING JUST BE PATIENT, HE'S USING YOU FOR HIS GLORY AND NO WEAPON FORM AGANIST YOU SHALL PROSPER: ISAIAH 5417!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 70
USE YOUR GIFT THAT THE LORD GAVE YOU BECAUSE , HE IS TRYING TO GIVE SOME AND HE'S TELLING YOU TO NO WEAPON FORM AGAINST YOU SHALL PROSPER!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 70
DON'T GIVE UP KEEP SEARCHING; THE RIGHT JOB WILL COME TO YOU!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 70
Unfortunately I have secured a job without advancement opportunities where supervisors are in positions because they came straight from High School and never entered college and have family and friends working. I have went to college and have a posted Masters Degree almost a PHD and an a Disable Veteran. Yet I am making a salary that I made in 1985. It is a State job but it is not in my field of education. I continue to put in for higher position s but have not secured an position that I have thrive for and have obtained in the past. I will starting my own business because I need to use my education and experiences in Higher Education.
Kudos
Views