Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweating the Job Search

Message 21 of 70

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 70

I feel your and everyone else's pain as an over 50 job searcher. I was laid off in 2010 and, thank goodness, the unemployment benefits lasted two years. I quickly found out that employers were not interested in even interviewing an over 50 applicant (I assume it was the age, my unemployment counselor said my résumé  was excellent). I decided to go to school and earned my AAS in Paralegal Technologies (with honors) in 2013. Since I still had more benefits through my husband's VA GI bill, I completed transfer credits to our local state university and attended one semester there. The money ran out and, surprise surprise, no one wants to extend scholarships to a 58 year old woman and I didn't want to pay off student loans with social security. Now I'm in a position where I need to look for work and I'm terrified. I'm a vet myself (6 years) and travelled with my husband, obtaining employment in a wide variety of professions based on availability at the duty station. My résumé has no common professional indicators and my education (other than previous work education programs) has yet to be put to use. My school colleagues tell me I'm a shoo-in for any job I apply for, but my confidence is next to nil. The reality is I am 58 with no experience in my field and employers can guess my age by the breadth of my résumé. Ageism is my reality before I even get an interview. I think I'll volunteer with the local women's assistance program and attempt to obtain an internship with a local attorney. I have no need for "perks"- my health insurance is covered through my husband's employment, vacation/sick leave is no issue, as a matter of fact the lack thereof gives me more flexibility to travel when I want to, and retirement bennies are a non-starter because I know I probably wouldn't be able to work long enough to collect them. I'll make "cold calls" to these offices and if I'm lucky I'll be able to impress potential interviewers with my erudition and work ethic. I'm searching for a "hook" that will at least get me through the interviewer's door. Any suggestions as to what I can add to my cover letters or résumé to help me in this endeavor? You know, after reading this, I do have a "hook" if I can get an interview-my lack of need for benefits! This allows flexibility as a potential employee and it doesn't hurt that I'm expecting entry level pay levels as well. Now, somebody please, help me with a way to get interviewed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 70

if you have the resources, get computer IT training.  There is a constant demand in that field.  Another excellent area to get into is health care.  Jobs are bountiful in either career.  Good luck to you!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 70
Hy my Name is server
I have been working for 42 years i am 56 now i had a great job something i loved to do the pay wasnt great but it wasnt so bad for some one who went 3 monts of english school and no colege degre iam jack of all trade .
My ex wife was working as well there beffore she left the the companie and me she did every thing to destroy mi chance for adevancement or promotion with this companie .
Now she left me and she left me the boys as well, you say iam very locky i have my kids yes i am!!
But the stress she left me with and in the invironment she craeted for me on that job it make me verry inconfortable to work there any more i thought it was goin to be easy specialy with 2 kids ya they are 10 and 15 you say they are big yeas they are but still need some one to get theme ready for school and pick up droop of for games and activity and been there for 6 pm when they come home and get ready for diner and next day for school my 15 years old its a bussy kids honor rool basketbal and s.t.e.m programe if you dont know waht is it stands for sience tecklogie engiering and math.
I had to quite my job for the stress and been verry inconfortable woth all the probleme my wife cause there, cant not get the emplyement because i quite cant not faund a another job because i have time from 9 in the morning to 5.30 pm iam 56 the waiter job its verry hard for my age change carier you think its going to take me at list 3 years ho ues driving for uber or lift ,ho yes i had hit 3 time this mont alone in my car no one had the curtosie to stop to leave they info the one i got the plate number did not have a insurance .
I heard peoples complaine but tgey still geting 2 to 3 thausnd dollars of anemplyement yo thinks you have probleme welcone to my world
Happy New year every one just for say

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 70
I too am seating the job search, having been unemployed since July 3, 2013. I've found that once you input your date of birth it sends up a red flag (age discrimination, in my opinion). I'm looking for a part-time clerical position where typing is the dominant factor. Strangely, the jobs I've applied for don't want my experience (25+ years in the financial industry) or require a college degree. I've only obtained certificates from job-related college courses; these don't count in todays business world. It's as if being a senior citizen puts one out to pasture. So unfair.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 70

Wow, You have been through it all... and I can appreciate this I live in Northern Maine and it is very rural and very Political and I am dealing with this now I'm not leaving until I put my say on paper and I am not back down... so do n ot ever give up Im older now and  when I get pushed to that line I really dig in and get all of my fact stright and then go to town.... I really get good at it when things are inconsistant and people have hidden agendas... Hang in there... Elaine

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 70
I can understand your situation because I was working on this last past job myself and I was doing a nurses job and getting under paid and when I asked for a raise the boss cursed me out, so I quit. I was paid 8.00 an hour.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 70
I can understand your situation because I was working on this last past job myself and I was doing a nurses job and getting under paid and when I asked for a raise the boss cursed me out, so I quit.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 70

all i have was entries job nothing more than a either a messager or a mailclerk job how can i get a job with that type back ground ?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 70
I was in transportation for 15 years because of health reasons I can no longer do it. I've decided to go back to school I obtain my bachelors degree in business management technology it's been three years since I graduated and I still unable to obtain employment. I've tried the various work sites but to no avail. knowing that I can do any job but can't get an opportunity to show my fast learning skills. I love too learn and study hard. I and you get discouraged very quickly but I will continue to encourage my self and seek employment until something comes up. I've tried to lower my pay jobs I still receive nothing I apply for job that only requires a diploma and I still get nothing. Where to become a registered nurse, but because of bad life choices I was not able to. My passion is still in the healthcare industry and it tends to be so hard to get my foot into the door. I will continue to persevere until one day I am blessed with a position . Be encouraged God bless you all.
Kudos
Views