Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweating the Job Search

Message 11 of 70

I have been looking for a job in the accounting field for the past 10 years.  Even with 2 Bachelor of Science Degrees and more than 25 years of experience doing accounting, I am unable to get my foot in the door.  I am either over or under qualified in the eyes of employers.  Over Qualified due to all the education and work experience I bring to the table.  Under Qualified because I do not know evey PC language on the market.  

Starting In 2000 all I heard from employers was that I had to have a Bachelor of Science degree to be considered.  In Jan 2003 I went back to school for a third time and earned 2 BSBA degrees in 42 months.  They have not given me the job that I am qualified to do.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 70
Sounds like you just wrote my life story! Same scenario all the way. 2 part-time jobs and still need a full time. I pray that all of you find that job you are looking for with excellent pay and benefits. Hang in there!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 70
Stop thinking about thnig in a negative light you begin to have it in your spirit! Look to praying for what you want! asking God to help you daily. Putting him first in your life and thing will change wants yu change your mind set!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 70
Talk to yourself in a postive way ! Look in the mirror and remember all the good things in your life! Learn to pray and ask God to help you and be thankful for what He is going to do!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 70

Volunteering looks great on your resume, it gets you out of the house, lifts your spirits, and you never know when someone unknown to you will pass your name along to a potential employer.  Be positive when greeting people -- people notice other people and pass the word along.

Good luck and God bless you!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 70

@mj15731576 wrote:

Marsha James marsha34156@yahoo.com

In the past,year I have been looking for work in a medical office, a Computer Center, and Customer Service Worker. I have attended job fairs, Posted Resumes, Most companies want their employee to have completed their Certification.  I have compled my course work in these fields but, I don't have hand on experience. I am woundering what I'm during wroung. My studies are in Medical Billing and Coding, Information Techknowage

This is going to sound nasty, but is constructive criticism. Your posting here has many misspellings, punctuation errors, grammatical errors, use of capital letter errors. If your resume looks anything like this, no one will consider you for a job.  You need, at the least, to have a professional looking, absolutely perfect resume. You may have to get professional help for this. Also, potential employers check your online presence. If you have any Facebook, MyLife, Google kinds of things that don't show that you are educated and literate, I would remove them.

This would also apply to job applications. If you fill them out looking like this posting, again, you would not be considered for a position by many.

Again, not trying to be nasty, but realistic.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 70

Marsha 

In the past,year I have been looking for work in a medical office, a Computer Center, and Customer Service Worker. I have attended job fairs, Posted Resumes, Most companies want their employee to have completed their Certification.  I have compled my course work in these fields but, I don't have hand on experience. I am woundering what I'm during wroung. My studies are in Medical Billing and Coding, Information Techknowage

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 70

"....I finally broke through the initial online application block - or so I thought......".

I wish I had some sage words of advice, but I don't. I early retired and I'm out of the 'game'.  All I ever read is that networking is the most effective way of getting jobs. Yeah, easy to say, more difficult to accomplish.

I wish everyone luck, the hundreds of thousands out there, in their job search.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 70

Too bad you didn't have or explore a medical disability.   That would at least take care of you.   I know all the companies I have worked for and currently do include this as a benefit, with some offering additional benefits the employee has to pay on a pay check basis.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 70

I finally broke through the initial online application block - or so I thought.  I was connected by email by a recruiter to set up a time and date for a phone interview.  Fine.  The date came and went.  No contact from the recruiter (apparently from an outside agency not the company with the actual job opening).  No response to my email inquiry.  The recruiter also left no phone number or address - only the email address through a generic domain name.  Other than this circumstance it's been impossible to get past the online application procedure to talk to anyone about my (over-)qualifications.

Kudos
Views