Starting a small business? Already own one and have questions? Ask the experts in AARP's small business roundtable discussion.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweating the Job Search

Message 1 of 70

What type of work were you doing when you got laid off in 2012? I wonder what would happen if you sent in a resume with a more recent graduation date?? This ageism stuff is madness. 

G. Quincy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 70
Wow. This is hard to hear. What are some of the excuses they've given you for not brining you on?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 70
Thats hard to hear. What do you think the reasons are you are not being called in for interviews or hired?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 70

Your post speaks to so many things that are wrong with the job search process. Thanks for posting this!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 70

I would suggest you stop looking down that avenue. 
Regardless of your skills, age bias is alive and well. Do not expect to get called.
This dose of reality is not meant to depress you but rather, insire you that a much bigger world awaits. So many, age 60+ have realized they can more easily generate their own income and take their future into THEIR control. There are a few good posts on this I've seen http://bit.ly/1T8dZ2G

Hope this helps provide a more fruitful direction

P.S.  I have not had a job since age 20.  I have always created my own income and once you realize that you can do it, then there is no longer fear, uncertainty and you gain tremendous freedom and power.  You also do not need money to invest.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 70

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 70
I'm so oooo sick of hearing this 5% CRAP! From Obama fans and AARP (who backed the biggest ripoff of the middle class -Obamacare) you have no clue what's going on because either you're a federal worker or part of the NEA. The middle class is under attack and only those who acknowledge this can help us. If your candidate support TPP-dump him!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 70
First let me say that I understand, but do not think that death is the answer, instead learn to pray when you feel like that and continue to look, sometimes it comes when you least expect it, but do not give up,
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 70
I got layoff at the age of 62. I got my CDL and start driving a 18 wheels across country. This was a big change. But the job gave me something that I really liked.Bringing the supplies to all American give me a good feeling. I did that for 3 years and I got called back from the layoff. By having mine CDL I got a better position when I went back to work.At age 68.5 I retired, after 6 month of retirement. The company had another layout. I would have been in the middle of that also. I know things are rough but just keeping going and hold your head up high.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 70

sdudgeon wrote:

I have been looking for a job in the accounting field for the past 10 years.  Even with 2 Bachelor of Science Degrees and more than 25 years of experience doing accounting.......".

I thought the CPA was the  piece of paper that counted for this field(?).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views